Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien: Isolation

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Hidding from the aliens would be retarded since no human can hide from them

Newt?

Yup. Newt's been hiding in the vents and scavenging for quite some time before the marines arrived. Also, in the first movie, when she was trying to reach the escape shuttle, Ripley managed to spot the Alien first and backed out undetected.

It's kinda wierd they choose Creative Assambly since they have no experience at all in FPS games, maybe 3rd person games like Viking: Battle for Asgard... but then again maybe it's a good thing.

What that tells me is that either they know someone who knows someone at SEGA, or Creative Assembly pitched the idea to SEGA and worked on it real good before doing so (*cough*banal environments as an excuse for alien slaughter*cough*Obsidian*cough) or there are key people with more relevant experience at CA. Otherwise it indeed is a rather strange choice.

Hidding from the aliens would be retarded since no human can hide from them

Newt?

Yup. Newt's been hiding in the vents and scavenging for quite some time before the marines arrived. Also, in the first movie, when she was trying to reach the escape shuttle, Ripley managed to spot the Alien first and backed out undetected.

:bro:

People focus too much on Cameron's wank-fest and forget the subtleties of the films.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just let the franchise die already, like others have done.
Franchises can't die, not until there is still some money to be made in defiling them.

And there is always money to be made, one way or the other.

I always thought Newt hiding from the aliens was kinda bullshit, given that there were at least 50 of those bastards running around the complex, but maybe they just kept to the atmosphere processors.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ripley daughter, shooting clone soldiers... the plot looks like very banal videogame plot to me. I'm really curious to see how they gonna make the alien corporation even more evil:lol:. They could just copy the movies structure like this:

The game start as you are arriving on a remote mining station on the planet where the alien was first discovered, the mining colony was that colony that was invaded by the marines in the second movie. You, like most inhabitants, are just civilians, cientists and miners with just a few military personnel to keep order. Your objective was just to do medical work on the planet. You work with a group of cientists and are invited for one of their routine surveys of the planet, on one of your expeditions to explore the surface, one of the cientists of the group get lost on the middle of a dust storm. The storm gets really bad and people are forced to return to the colony, leaving the missing scientist for dead. The guy finds refuge on a strange metallic building, there isn't much light but at first, he is unsure what kind of building was that and he really didn't felt very motivated to explore it's inside much. What he doesn't expect is that he isn't alone and is attacked by a facehugger, he pass out and on the following day he wakes up with a strange alien life form aparently dead on his side. He is fearful that the thing attacked him and may have infected him with a virus or somethins as he isn't felling all that well.

Fearing that if he got back to the colony with a unknown alien disease, they would just lock him up on a cell for him to die as they wouldn't risk the whole colony to be compromised by a potential alien infection, specially as they don't have any means for treatment. When he comes back, he lies saying that he found refuge on a cave out there and really don't tell anybody about what happened. He seeks the player as the chief medical staff and only tells what happened to him and asks for him to do some exams on him as he really doesn't feel quite well, when one of the many energy shutdowns happens on the base as it is common stuff as the reactor isn't exactly top quality stuff. You can't exam him but reasure him that everything would be okay and let him waiting on a room in the makeshift hospital inside the base while the energy come back. The thing is that when you come back for check him up, it isn't a pretty scene, just blood everywhere and the guy there dead with a big hole in the chest.

You tell everything what happened to the military and they really don't buy this story of alien infection and really think that somebody just killed him and they even suspect of you as you were the last one seen with him. After two more murders, the military really start thinking that there is a murder inside the mining station. People really start getting paranoid of each other and the climate isn't really well in the colony but after the three first attacks there is a pause with no killings at all and people get kinda alleviated thinking the military solved the problem as someone was captured and accused of being the murder. The queen takes this pause to lay the eggs on a kinda remote area of the station, after two weeks, the eggs are ready. Fearing the 2000 humans around her and at same time knowing that when they are all dead, the food supply would end as well. She decides to not activate all the eggs at same time, she activates one and realease a face hugger that infects another colonist and this one alien would capture, instead of kill the human immediatly. This would draw less attention than outright killing alot of humans at same time. Once on her hive, the captured humans by the lone alien would be infected and kept on stasis until she had a good amount of aliens under her command to guarantee her protection.

The disapearings made people crazy and all kinds of crazy theories were invented to justify that, but the most popular was that someone was sabotaging the colony and the military were somehow involved. People start getting really paranoid and start getting really suspicious that the military are hiding something. In reality, the military are really clueless about what is happeng as well. The thing gets really, really bad when when an entire repair team disapear nearby the remote area where the alien nest is. People start demanding that the military do something about it and they sent an expedition team to check it up. Only one marine comes back alive and tells what he saw. The military proceed to seal all the entrances to the mining station and mount defensive positions where they can, they are really confused about what the aliens want but hostile intent is very clear. The truth is hidden from the colonists and they are kept on the core of the mining base while the military installs a smaller defense perimeter as they realise they can't cover all the entrances in case of attack.

Finaly, the attacks start as the casualties ramp up, the military get people even more and more enclosed in a smaller space. After some time, it is clear that the situation can't be kept that way for long. They realise the colony is lost, so they decide to take all the supply that is left on the building with them and kill the colonists as they discovered how the aliens reproduced. The plan is to hole in some place else that is easy to defend with what is left of their forces and abandon the colony while they wait for relief . Things don't go as well as planned as people finaly discover what is really happening and what the military plan to do.

All of this is pretty much cliche and predictable but clone soldiers?Common... I'm tired of clone and evil corporation experiments bullshit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I always thought Newt hiding from the aliens was kinda bullshit, given that there were at least 50 of those bastards running around the complex, but maybe they just kept to the atmosphere processors.

This is something I've always wanted to look into, but never gotten around to do myself: A headcount of the xenos in Aliens.

There were 157 colonists on LV-426. Newt was still around, so that's one less. John J Marachuck died on the operating table, scratch another one. One became the Queen, and one was fragged by the colonists. That leaves a maximum of 153 xenos running around the place by the times the Marines touch down. The Marines sure frag a lot of them, and the sentries alone probably mow down dozens of them, but how many exactly? I have a theory that assuming that there was no countdown to get everyone away in time, the handful of Marines left could have not only held off the xenos, but reduced their numbers to the point that they could be contained. Cameron knew this, which is why they had the atmosphere processor overheat and melt down.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Pitch for an Aliens story.

It wouldn't fit in the canon for several reasons, not that anyone seems to care about that anymore. Another thing, and this assumes that you're pitching an idea for how this game should be, is that everything about the game seems to place it in space, aboard a vessel, so you only have to modify it for that setting and you got a pretty good Thing going there. Note the capital letter, reading your post made me think of that film several times.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This is something I've always wanted to look into, but never gotten around to do myself: A headcount of the xenos in Aliens.
IMHO it's impossible to do, we have no idea on the exact number of xenos that were killed in the first confrontation under the processor nor how many were mowed down by the sentry turrets. We have no idea about how many colonists were taking alive either.

Btw there is (I think it is) a comic called "Newt's Tale" that is about the fall of Hadley's Hope and the aftermath of that.

DeepOcean

Arcane

It wouldn't fit in the canon for several reasons, not that anyone seems to care about that anymore. Another thing, and this assumes that you're pitching an idea for how this game should be, is that everything about the game seems to place it in space, aboard a vessel, so you only have to modify it for that setting and you got a pretty good Thing going there. Note the capital letter, reading your post made me think of that film several times.
On my derpy short fanfic, you get alot of excuses to shoot aliens, shoot humans and get involved on horror and survival situations. It leave me baffled that they have to come with clones and another derpy evil corp plot. At least they didn't ressurected Ripley again but decided to use her daughter that really look like a clone of her. Could it be a plot twist, where her daughter is in reality a clone of Ripley made by Weyland Yutani?:lol:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Its going to be a steaming pile of shit.

The games wont ever touch Alien vs Predator imo

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Yeah, I guess when they got most of the colonists, majority of the bugs went into hibernation mode back at their nest under the AP. Besides, they mostly come out at night... mostly.

There were 157 colonists on LV-426. Newt was still around, so that's one less. John J Marachuck died on the operating table, scratch another one. One became the Queen, and one was fragged by the colonists. That leaves a maximum of 153 xenos running around the place by the times the Marines touch down. The Marines sure frag a lot of them, and the sentries alone probably mow down dozens of them, but how many exactly? I have a theory that assuming that there was no countdown to get everyone away in time, the handful of Marines left could have not only held off the xenos, but reduced their numbers to the point that they could be contained. Cameron knew this, which is why they had the atmosphere processor overheat and melt down.

Yep - and again, he had to keep the numbers relatively low so that by the time Ripley makes her end run, the place is basically empty all the way to the queen.

Yeah, I guess when they got most of the colonists, majority of the bugs went into hibernation mode back at their nest under the AP. Besides, they mostly come out at night... mostly.

That's another thing that is suggested subtly (slightly less so in the director's cut) is that the colonists held out quite a while after the comms went down. It wasn't one sustained attack ('they mostly came out at night'), numbers would have grown slowly at least until the queen, there's signs of combat through the entry floors (at least one major acid hole that Hudson and Hicks spot), they had time to conduct a series of medical experiments trying to find a way to remove facehuggers without killing the hosts, captured and studied facehuggers (at least 1 still alive when the marines get there - and still in its cage/tank for that matter), killed at least one xeno (possibly more - it shows they weren't helpless, at least in the early stages), and then set up a decent barricade where they made their last stand. Keeping in mind that this all happened after they lost comms (or at least after Burke says they did), and the timeline suggests the colonists might have held out until shortly before the marines' arrival.

And then the kicker....on their way to the core, the marines find a live colonist going through the process of 'birthing' a xeno. I.e. they arrive just as the last of the adult colonists dies - the 'final stand' that the marines find must have occurred only a few days before they got there.

On my derpy short fanfic, you get alot of excuses to shoot aliens, shoot humans and get involved on horror and survival situations. It leave me baffled that they have to come with clones and another derpy evil corp plot. At least they didn't ressurected Ripley again but decided to use her daughter that really look like a clone of her. Could it be a plot twist, where her daughter is in reality a clone of Ripley made by Weyland Yutani?:lol:

HEY I CALLED THAT FIRST! :)

Calling it NOW:

- As the game goes on, characters will comment on how the fuck it is that you're surviving against such overwhelming odds, when trained soldiers are dying left and right.
- Some corporate schmos from Weyland-Yutanti will give you instructions and 'advice' that 'accidentally' leads you into combat situations, and late in the game you'll find signs that they're monitoring you and creating reports on their 'subject's' progress.
- There will be an antagonist who will have a really similar arc to Paxton Fettel from the 1st FEAR (passes up a chance to kill you really early in the game, instead asking 'what's the first thing you remember?' before knocking you out and leaving you safe, conducting a series of hits that are portrayed as assaults that need to be stopped but it becomes increasingly apparent that they're surgical strikes taking out some truly evil fuckers, while deliberately leading you to a trail of evidence showing that you aren't who you think you are)
- the BIG REVEAL is that you aren't really Ripley's first daughter, but the cloned 'daughter' of the xeno-Ripley hybrid from Alien: Resurrection, given false memories to prevent you trying to escape or rebel like the xeno-Ripley hybrid, with the enclosed environment of the space station giving you no way of knowing that your memories aren't real; they'll also rip off FEAR by using this to give a late-game story integration of seemingly 'gamey' elements like speed abilities / upgrades.

The station will be like the holding room for Captain America: an enclosed environment set up to create an illusion that it's an earlier time period (when Ripley's actual daughter was a young adult, i.e. shortly after Alien), while really being shortly after Alien: Resurrection.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hidding from the aliens would be retarded since no human can hide from them but fighting them with shotguns and other crappy weapons is also retarded since in the first film, 1 alien butchered the entire crew.

You realise that a core part of the first film is that the crew was unarmed, right? The best they had was a few cattle-prods and a makeshift flamethrower. If they did actually have conventional weapons such as shotguns, the movie might have played out a lot differently.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Official rating:
aBmfV.png

Athelas

Arcane
Several problems with this:
1. The titular aliens have been so overused in a variety of awful movies and spin-offs that they're no longer scary.
2. It's very difficult to infuse gameplay with actual horror (and no, a jump scare is not a horror).
3. It's aimed at the masses, so it will most likely be disappointing.

retardation

Learned
Several problems with this:
2. It's very difficult to infuse gameplay with actual horror (and no, a jump scare is not a horror).

I dare you to take a walk here and see if a thug jump-scaring you with knife will be a horror for you:

bomba-alipasino2.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And it's officially disappointing.

It's Amnesia in space. Yawn. I'm all for coming up with different approaches, but this isn't breaking any new ground whatsoever.

What bugs me even more is that not only is Amanda Ripley put aboard a space station that's IDENTICAL to the Nostromo, she's also made to be as similar in apperance as her mother, right down to the brand of wristwatch.

It's just pathetic.

praetor

Arcane
sega+Alien(s)+CA=trailers doctored beyond recognition. expect the final game to be nothing like what we see now (and the dudes in the first gameplay video are utterly retarded)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I thought it was Gearbox that got all the blame for the doctored Colonial Marines trailers?

praetor

Arcane
CA has been doing it for much longer :balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom