Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I just join game whenever I see someone playing it. Or I call Gragt up ;)

Medic is good, but only with friends. I can't stand playing Medic with a bunch of random idjits that get infested then run around like they're on fire, preventing me from saving them.

Multi-headed Cow

entertainer said:
trym88 said:
damn I would pay valve for making new campaigns :(

:retarded:
Since the game itself is free and has a SDK so user made maps are possible, I wouldn't be against buying new campaigns if they were cheap. As an example, if the current campaign was DLC, $5 would be a fair price. I would be up in arms if the game itself cost money but cheap professionally made campaigns would be acceptable to me.

Especially if they added new weapons and aliens, which were available to the modding community and people without the new campaigns. Think of the double dip points there, make a new campaign, sell it for $5 a pop, new content from the campaign gets added to the SDK for community to use for free. That would be heavan. :M

Tails

Arbiter
Played a bit and this game is horrible comparing to original. Valve did great job in making Black Cat Games dumbing down and destroying all the previous work they did :salute:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Tails said:
Played a bit and this game is horrible comparing to original. Valve did great job in making Black Cat Games dumbing down and destroying all the previous work they did :salute:

For those who didn't play the original, friendly fire dealt more damage, the lighting was worse, you didn't have mini games for hacking (it was ust a progress bar), there were fewer weapons and a smaller vareity of aliens. (Drones, facehuggers, and a single queen).

Most of the old guard didn't shoot each other like idiot nooblets anyway, so the difference is neglible, except you can see things coming from a distance now.

Ashery

Prophet
Tails said:

However, most of the flaws can be removed through some simple modding or, better yet, through console commands.

It's not as good as the original, but it's far better than, say, FO3.

Tails

Arbiter
Ulminati said:
For those who didn't play the original, friendly fire dealt more damage, the lighting was worse, you didn't have mini games for hacking (it was ust a progress bar),
Indeed and also NO AWESOME LOOKIN H2H SKILL. Also mucho mucho better level design.
there were fewer weapons and a smaller vareity of aliens. (Drones, facehuggers, and a single queen).
Fanmade Telic and Escape from Rhea expanded both of this aspects.

Ashery said:
However, most of the flaws can be removed through some simple modding or, better yet, through console commands.
Will modders will fix it? time shows. For now I stick to the original which has 10001% better atmosphere in every aspect then this Valve side-product.

Multi-headed Cow

Since release, we've received a ton of feedback and feature requests from the Alien Swarm community. The most requested additions are more variety and greater difficulty.

With that in mind, we've added "Onslaught" mode, which introduces an AI Director that dynamically generates swarms of aliens based on several factors, such as the squad's stress level. Onslaught works with any difficulty setting and ensures no mission plays the same way twice.

Speaking of difficulty, we've also added a "Brutal" difficulty level for those of you who told us "Insane" wasn't insane enough. How brutal is Brutal? Nobody on the Alien Swarm team has managed to complete a mission on it.

If for some crazy reason Brutal is still too easy for you, there's now a "Hardcore Friendly Fire" toggle. When enabled, friendly fire deals full damage immediately, flamethrowers set teammates on fire much faster, and turrets will hurt you if get caught in their crossfire. Coordinating movement and firing lines becomes an even more integral part of the game. HCFF truly tests your team’s ability to work together as an elite squad.

Finally, to reward the most dedicated players, we've added 3 new IAF Promotion Ranks: Platinum Star, Osmium Star, and the coveted Iridium Medallion.
Valve best developer in universe etc etc hail Gaben hail Steam hail Valve.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Looks like this takes care of most of the console settings we have been using. Too bad I'm too busy playing Mysteries of Westgate to play AS now.

Edit: oh cool, the AI director is finally allowed to spawn parasites. Still it's fun some people see this as big changes while they were already in the game. You simply needed a few console commands to activate them.

SHUT UP! THEY ARE NEW FEATURES DAMNIT! ONLY NERDS AND FAGGOTS USE THE CONSOLE

:love: VALVE AKA THE MOST INNOVATIVE DEVELOPER EVAR WHO NEVER MAKES TRITE AND CONSTANTLY MEDIOCRE OUTPUTS EVAR

You didn't need to torrent the new one bro, all you have to do is succumb to the Steam overlords and install their POS, Alien Swarm New Edition is mostly free.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
relootz said:
poocolator said:
Tails said:
This.

I've torrented this new one, and can't figure out/be bothered with setting it up, jumping through Valve's hoops.

Are you guys still playing the original on Hamachi?

Torrenting a free game??? What is the point? :o
steam

:picardfacepalm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom