Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Ashery said:
kingcomrade said:
This will make people take full damage from friendly fire.
So your goal is to make the game as little fun as possible

Because it's more fun when a team runs around like chickens with their fucking heads cut off during a fight with absolutely no trigger control.

Does it make the game more challenging? Absolutely, but that's the *point*. It requires teams to coordinate their movements and not interfere with other players' fields of fire.
Gosh thanks for the explanation, I had no idea people could control their fire or cooperate!

You can enjoy playing with 3 friends who are all good at the game. 60% of the damage I take in most games comes from friendly fire. I don't want to have to find new games every 5 seconds.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I've just finished a game with Ashery's settings and I must say it's intense and very satisfying. Especially when I finally got to play with some competent people who didn't set me aflame or put lead in my back :) .

In the other news, just in case you wondered, you can play AS in first person mode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvBrW_I3gM

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Ashery said:
kingcomrade said:
This will make people take full damage from friendly fire.
So your goal is to make the game as little fun as possible

Because it's more fun when a team runs around like chickens with their fucking heads cut off during a fight with absolutely no trigger control.

Does it make the game more challenging? Absolutely, but that's the *point*. It requires teams to coordinate their movements and not interfere with other players' fields of fire.
Gosh thanks for the explanation, I had no idea people could control their fire or cooperate!

You can enjoy playing with 3 friends who are all good at the game. 60% of the damage I take in most games comes from friendly fire. I don't want to have to find new games every 5 seconds.
You're mad that greater difficulty would make pickup games impossible... what?

Hell, good luck finishing a game on regular insane difficulty with 3 random people. Then again me spamming Ghostbusters theme might have something to do with that.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Even people who are good at video games are typically dumbasses when it comes to teamwork. I've just played too many games like Doom and so on (edit- and World of Warcraft raiding, now that I think about it) to have any illusions about the supposed 1337 tactical squad skillz people have, even if they're not asking how to mine for fish.

DefJam101

Arcane
Even people who are good at video games are typically dumbasses when it comes to teamwork.
That doesn't make sense, though. If you're bad at teamwork in a team-based videogame, you're bad at the videogame.

And what do pickup games have to do with groups of friends working together, anyway?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
That doesn't make sense, though.
Sure it does.
If you're bad at teamwork in a team-based videogame, you're bad at the videogame.
"even people who are good at video games"

Your logic has failed you in any case, since you don't win at Alien Swarm but sitting in one spot not shooting teammates.

And what do pickup games have to do with groups of friends working together, anyway?
I'm not your friend.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
60% of the damage I take in most games comes from friendly fire. I don't want to have to find new games every 5 seconds.

KC you must be very good at finding shitty games with shitty players.

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
If you're bad at teamwork in a team-based videogame, you're bad at the videogame.
"even people who are good at video games"
So what does "good at videogames" mean? Coordinated? Skillful? Skillful at what? Because Alien Swarm is a videogame and having horrible teamwork skills means you are bad at Alien Swarm. Which means you are not good at at least one videogame, which means you are not "good at videogames", which means what you're saying makes no sense.

Your logic has failed you in any case, since you don't win at Alien Swarm but sitting in one spot not shooting teammates.
Haha now you're just spewing.

I'm not your friend.
Wow, someone's touchy.

What was your original problem with server-side settings anyway? Not like he was suggesting they should be mandatory.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Friendly fire is a huge issue in this game. Everyone is climbing all over each other, getting in the fucking way. It reminds me a lot of playing coop Doom, honestly. People can't stand back and let someone handle one avenue, they have to jump in front LOL WUTS GOIN ON HERE CANT SEE and then get shot a few times.

I tend to be the guy running out in front of everyone, which is probably why I get such a lopsided kill count. I don't get why people are so slow in this game, they spend a lot of time just sitting around looking at each other and derping into their mic or whatever.

:lol:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So what does "good at videogames" mean?
Don't bullshit me.
Because Alien Swarm is a videogame and having horrible teamwork skills means you are bad at Alien Swarm.
Since AW is solo-able no it doesn't.
Haha now you're just spewing. Seriously, what you said would make total sense in the "you win if you don't shoot teammates" game. You don't have to be good at teamwork to win at Alien Swarm, it just doesn't make you fun to play with.

He mentioned in the L4D thread how he runs in front of people who are shooting.
Reading failure. I wrote that I'm usually the person out in front, not that I jump in front of people who are shooting.

edit- I see Skyway is going to pretend he doesn't understand the difference, as well.
Tell me Skyway. Is it possible for a group to move forward in any real fashion if someone is not in front, leading?

I honestly hope this isn't too complex for you guys, there's got to be someone out there I can talk with about video games.

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
So what does "good at videogames" mean?
Don't bullshit me.
Vault Dweller syndrome?
Because Alien Swarm is a videogame and having horrible teamwork skills means you are bad at Alien Swarm.
Since AW is solo-able no it doesn't.
Which difficulty are we talking about? Normal, hard, insane, or Ashery's insane?
Haha now you're just spewing. Seriously, what you said would make total sense in the "you win if you don't shoot teammates" game. You don't have to be good at teamwork to win at Alien Swarm, it just doesn't make you fun to play with.
So you are saying that you still win even when people shoot you for 60% of your damage? In that case it seems odd that you don't think the game is too easy.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Vault Dweller syndrome?
Well either you're bullshitting me or you're really stupid. You haven't recognized differences in skill levels between players? That people who are good at one video game are often good at other video games, while people who are bad at some video games are often bad at a lot of video games?
Which difficulty are we talking about? Normal, hard, insane, or Ashery's insane?
Doesn't matter, teamwork makes things easier, but "good" teamwork is not necessary to beat the game, just to get all the xbox achievements. If you have four people who suck at teamwork but are good at killing aliens and moving forward you can still win, it will just be more difficult and messy.
So you are saying that you still win even when people shoot you for 60% of your damage? In that case it seems odd that you don't think the game is too easy.
60% of the damage I take, not 60% of my health. And yes the game is pretty easy. It's a shame most of the items and guns are superfluous.
Also if you stop being hyper-defensive people might be more inclined to respond seriously to your posts.
Thanks for the advice, I was concerned about that since I don't enjoy seeing the petty small-mindedness in others and feeling justified in thinking you're all petty and small-minded. :?

I tried the chainsaw today. Broken as fuck.

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Vault Dweller syndrome?
Well either you're bullshitting me or you're really stupid. You haven't recognized differences in skill levels between players? That people who are good at one video game are often good at other video games?
I get what you mean, but I don't think many people are just innately good at videogames. People who play videogames a lot are usually better at games because they put more time into playing ("practicing") them than others, take them more seriously, etc. I would expect someone who is good at Quake to be good at UT or Doom because they require similar skillsets and a Quake player is likely to play Doom a lot more than some random 'casual' person who plays Doom once with a friend. People are good at games because they play games with similar skillsets or play them more; beyond pure reflexes/coordination I doubt anyone has ever been naturally skilled at videogames.

I mean, I transitioned from UT --> Quake smoothly because both games are about shooting people in the face with rocket launchers so...

Also if you stop being hyper-defensive people might be more inclined to respond seriously to your posts.
Thanks for the advice, I was concerned about that since I don't enjoy seeing the petty small-mindedness in others and feeling justified in thinking you're all petty and small-minded. :?
Lol, take it easy?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
ITT kingcomrade finally lashes out against the black dude for taking his job through affirmative action policies.

Multi-headed Cow

Imagine I'm Racofer and I just photoshopped Kingcomrade's face on to a picture of Rorschach from Watchmen and it looked good and was funny and everyone liked me.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Lavoisier said:
ITT kingcomrade finally lashes out against the black dude for taking his job through affirmative action policies.

KC has been massively butthurt ever since he came back from his extended absence. At the time I missed, but now I"m not so sure.

trym88

Scholar
Game is much fun, but only one campaign... I finished it 3 times so I will wait for new campaigns

Pablosdog

Prophet
I got my dick whipped out and i'm ready to play!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom