Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I just wanted to say that I saved the day in the Codex game last night, soloing the last 1/3 of the 6th level. :smug:

Marsal

Arcane
What's your Steam ID Gragt? I'm up for a game.

EDIT: Bah, can't add friends because I didn't buy any games. My ID is VicMackey, I'm in the Codex group, invite me in the game.

Pablosdog

Prophet
This is to apologize for my friend shooting everyone in the back last game lololol(Although to be fair i was also shooting people as well) the friendly fire sucks in this game

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Most of the items and guns just plain suck compared to the alternatives. It bothers me more just that there are things that suck in general. Mines and incendiary grenades for the shotgun and a bunch of other stuff. A lot of them are just too awkward to use against fast fragile moving targets, and a LOT of them hurt teammates more than they hurt monsters. A lot of items are only good against big groups of enemies, except most of the time enemies die really quickly anyway to normal guns so it's kind of a waste. Ice grenades are good if you're getting swarmed and need an on shit button. I haven't tried some of the other items. Hornets I've tried twice but they never really did anything besides hit walls or all go for the same alien.

The cryo-turret? Why the fuck would you use that instead of a normal turret? Unless it has infinity ammo I cannot think of a reason. Normal turrets are god mode during defense events, anyway.

One medic, two whatevers with turrets, and a guy with ammo packs and that's all you need to win. You need teammates who aren't really stupid, I guess.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Marsal said:
What's your Steam ID Gragt? I'm up for a game.

EDIT: Bah, can't add friends because I didn't buy any games. My ID is VicMackey, I'm in the Codex group, invite me in the game.

Same shit, bro. Fuckn jews.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The game we had tonight was crazy. Ashery changed a few things, including turning the friendly fire absorption off. Just that gave it a distinct flavour.

Ashery

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
AS1 was definitely better.

Play with my settings.

You'll change your mind quickly.

All that's left is to figure out how to turn sv_cheats on in a multiplayer game so I can turn that damn setting off that will usually prevent a marine from dying if he has more than 1hp remaining. No idea why it's considered a cheat to turn that setting *off*.

Ashery

Prophet
For those curious: Create an autoexec.cfg in the ...Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm\cfg folder and put the following in:

asw_horde_override 1
asw_wanderer_override 1

asw_ignore_need_two_player_requirement 1
asw_custom_skill_points 1
asw_marine_collision 1
asw_marine_shoulderlight 1
asw_parasite_inside 1
asw_realistic_death_chatter 1
asw_marine_ff_absorption 0
asw_hear_from_marine 1
asw_scanner_classic 1
asw_scanner_idle_sound 3
asw_scanner_idle_volume 0.7
asw_scanner_warning_sound 1
asw_scanner_warning_volume 0.9
asw_scanner_pitch_change 0.7
mp_friendlyfire 1
asw_sentry_friendly_fire_scale 1
asw_fast_reload_under_marine 1

The bold parts are the important parts, everything else is just flavor or redundant bits that I'm too lazy to edit out.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
barker_s said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Nice music in the video. The song its based on was my favorite track from the HL2 soundtrack.

If you liked this shitty remix then you'll love the original (supposedly from leaked beta) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9fvwUbgk4&

Thanks! Great, great find. The music in the Half-Life games is really quite good.

I hope that when they finally release Episode 3 that can put together a compilation of the whole Half-Life 2 saga soundtracks. I'd buy that in a heart beat. They've really written some great music over the past few years.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I found a lot of commands over there: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1371124

Based on Ashery's, here's my own autoexec.cfg file

Code:
asw_hear_from_marine 1
mp_friendlyfire 1
asw_horde_override 1 
asw_wanderer_override 1
asw_horde_class asw_parasite

You can find the details from the link I posted but here is a quick explaination.

Code:
asw_hear_from_marine 1

These enables some audio chatter between the characters at various point and can be ignored if you don't like that sort of fluff.

Code:

Displays a small reload bar under your character in addition to the one in the lower left corner and the crappy one on the cursor. It's a bit too small for my liking but still usable.

Code:

Allows you to play online by yourself. You'll likely need to pick a tech character and the game will be rather hard, especially if you enable the AI director options (see below) but it's useful to test your autoexec.cfg or earn some achivements if you like that sort of consoleshit.

Code:
mp_friendlyfire 1

This will make people take full damage from friendly fire. Fans of the Ut2004 mod should be happy because a shotgun blast should cut a healthy marine in two.

Code:
asw_horde_override 1 
asw_wanderer_override 1
asw_horde_class asw_parasite

Another fun one: these settings enable the AI director, allowing enemies to spawn anytime and anywhere in addition to the fixed spawns. Tested in easy and as soon as I opened the first door I got a group of 10 enemies running for me. The last setting will allow the AI director to spawn parasites for even more masochist fun.

Some commands I did not include but may change in the future:

Code:
asw_sentry_friendly_fire_scale 1

In theory this allows sentries to damage you if you get in their way. Sounds good but in practice it doesn't work in multiplayer (or the sentry deals insignificant damage), so my guess is that it is flagged as cheat or something. Too bad.

Code:
asw_custom_skill_points 1

Removes skills points from all characters. You can gain 2 per completed mission that you can spend where you want. I don't like it much as it is because it removes unique specialties from characters, even if they keep their own set of skills. It feels too experimental and not really balanced, but it would be nice to see that sort of system in the future.

Else if you look you can find commands to remove the camera shake on hit or change some graphic options.

Joghurt

Augur
barker_s said:
ScottishMartialArts said:
Nice music in the video. The song its based on was my favorite track from the HL2 soundtrack.

If you liked this shitty remix then you'll love the original (supposedly from leaked beta) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9fvwUbgk4&

Holy shit ! When I played HL2 I noticed that the soundtrack is really good but I never got to downloading and listening it. This song is fucking marvelous especially the piano parts sound so great in this. Gotta download the Orange Box soundrack ASP.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Well, it's not actually in the game. As far as I know it's from that alpha/beta version of HL2 that got leaked back in the day and it's not included in official soundtrack.

There's another one if you're interested (the better one imo) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2nLPDAntRU . I've been looking for the sheet music for that piece, but never found one. If you happen to stumble upon it, I'd greatly appreciate if you'd let me know ;) .

MapMan

Arcane
I know I sound like an achievement whore but did anyone of you tried doing the Outstanding Execution achievement? It's really hard to complete the whole campaign, on normal difficulty without anyone dying. Add to that full friendly fire damage, turret friendly fire and the "director" and it's almost impossible. Doing some of the achievements (speed runs especially) is a lot of fun.

Ashery

Prophet
kingcomrade said:
This will make people take full damage from friendly fire.
So your goal is to make the game as little fun as possible

Because it's more fun when a team runs around like chickens with their fucking heads cut off during a fight with absolutely no trigger control.

Does it make the game more challenging? Absolutely, but that's the *point*. It requires teams to coordinate their movements and not interfere with other players' fields of fire.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ashery said:
Because it's more fun when a team runs around like chickens with their fucking heads cut off during a fight with absolutely no trigger control.

That's the only thing that pisses me off on public servers. Many tragedies could've been avoided if they just stayed in the formation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom