Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

Korgan

Arbiter
Hopefully it will get better after everyone learns not to be idiots.
Manboons. Manboons never change.
:rpgcodex:

Finished the download this morning and played the first two levels with a friend, once we get a couple of more people online we going to go for the rest, quite a good game, even if short. Though with the SDK released one can imagine that there will possibly be a lot of player made maps and such.

I just noticed that valve has released a plug in for Maya that lets one import/export the models of the source engine. Modding incoming!
:love:

Wulfstand

Prophet
Meh, the game's okay i guess, played it with Hobo Elf and his friends. On normal difficulty the game isn't really that hard, and I guess that's exactly what gave me the 'meh' feeling. The only memorable moment I had was at the end of the 2nd last mission, where I was the only one left alive and I had to kill like 2 4 legged monsters that look EXACTLY like that boss from Gears of War, only smaller. Too bad I died at the middle of the last mission and went to grab something to eat, since i was starving, and didn't see the ending of the campaign.
:x

We could to another runthrough tonight after 1-2 games of HoN, since the game's much more of a 'stress reliever' than anything else.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Right, steamid for me should be, well, Gragt.

Satori: any reason why you'd use hamachi for a steam game?

Ashery

Prophet
After a couple full games on normal (And one almost full on hard, had to quit on the last mission), I must say that I'm overall satisfied with the game.

Sure, some things could've been done better, but the game stays pretty true to its roots.

It's definitely more forgiving than the original, that's for sure. There won't be any memories of accidentally lighting the person carrying the ammo bag on fire and watching them explode and take down a couple other teammates with'em in this version.

Edit: We don't use hamachi for this version of AS, but that's where we organized for/what we used to played every other game our little group played, so it's probably just reflex in telling people to join the hamachi group.

MapMan

Arcane
I just completed the campaign on hard and that was really nice experience. Next on is insane, I once tried it already but we got owned pretty fast.

MetalCraze

Arcane
MapMan said:
I just completed the campaign on hard and that was really nice experience.
Is it dumbed down that badly?
In original AS hard pretty much means a real nightmare. It took us a week to complete a single campaign of original AS.

Ashery

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
MapMan said:
In original AS hard pretty much means a real nightmare. It took us a week to complete a single campaign of original AS.

Which shows how much we sucked as I've played with some of the folks from the Black Cat forums and they go through a hard campaign easily.

Yea, it's a bit easier than the original, but there's none of the bullshit reviving teammates ala L4D.

My biggest complaint is that friendly far is far more, well, friendly. Far less discipline is required as a single stray shotgun blast won't instantly kill your tech.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wulfstand said:
Meh, the game's okay i guess, played it with Hobo Elf and his friends. On normal difficulty the game isn't really that hard, and I guess that's exactly what gave me the 'meh' feeling. The only memorable moment I had was at the end of the 2nd last mission, where I was the only one left alive and I had to kill like 2 4 legged monsters that look EXACTLY like that boss from Gears of War, only smaller. Too bad I died at the middle of the last mission and went to grab something to eat, since i was starving, and didn't see the ending of the campaign.
:x

We could to another runthrough tonight after 1-2 games of HoN, since the game's much more of a 'stress reliever' than anything else.

We played on Hard, though.

MapMan

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
MapMan said:

I think you misunderstood me. By "nice experience" I mean't its not too hard, not too easy. Insane difficulty is WAY harder than hard. And yes, I played the ut2k4 AS and indeed it was harder. I remember playing a single mission over and over again because everything had to be executed perfectly. Single unkilled egg could cause mayhem and get us all killed.

Anyway, I think even the most hardcore fans of AS will like it. Even if insane difficulty will seem to easy for them, then there's the SDK and custom campaign and mods will pop out very soon, including those that boost the difficulty. :M

Multi-headed Cow

I.C. Wiener said:
Cool game, I like it better than L4D and the potential for mods is very very interesting. But I really can't play this with random faggots, at least until they disable teamkilling. I got hit a lot more by my idiot teammates trying desperately to hit every single fucking alien, including the ones I was already dealing with. Hopefully it will get better after everyone learns not to be idiots.
Multi-headed Cow said:
Oh god, greatest thing in this:
hats.jpg

HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats
IMO the alien hat is by far the ugliest hat in TF2. The user-submitted ones look a million times better. The texture is one color, the normals suck, the claws are too white, and you can cut yourself on those polygons.I would much rather have gotten the shotgun/minigun/flamethrower.
Yeah, it's not the best hat in the world, but I kinda like it on the soldier. Particularly with the shovel taunt.

And I agree that hard seems like a more reasonable difficulty than in the original mod. You can still get wiped out easily if you have impatient teammates but there's room for SOME error.
Did the final mission on hard last night and was the only survivor with almost no health left. I was playing medic during that game and the rest of the team was another medic, a tech, and a special weapons guy. The other medic was really terrible and kept getting chewed up which used up a lot of healing, until he jumped down into a parasite filled area and got gang raped while the rest of us watched. Then after the nuke was armed the tech bit the dust when he wasn't running to the exit even with all the red emergency lights and big timer saying "GET TO THE EXIT IDIOTS". Then the special weapons guy and I ran to the dropship, he got overwhelmed just before it got in range, and I barely was able to jump on it.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's ok. Someone needs to make a Gauntlet conversion mod though. One of you nerds get on that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If the majority of people in this viper's den think it's pretty good... chances are it is pretty good.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I feel like wasting some time, so anyone wanna play some? I joined the group, nickname is Wulf.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
We did it twice, but don't worry we can do it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom