Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

Wulfstand

Prophet
Gotta replay it someday on Insane difficulty, because hard just doesn't feel...well, hard. I also hope we'll see some more campaigns quite soon, else it'll get boring real fast.

Trash said:
So, how do you actually start a codex game with the steam group?

Well, you create your own friends only game, and then you click on the 'invite friends button', after which a list will appear with all your friends and your groups that you've joined. You click on the RPG Codex group to enlarge that list, and check out which player is online, and then you do what I do, as in you start spamming all of them with invites to your game, after which hopefully 2-3 players will join.

deshields538

Scholar
Finally played through the campaign with friends on normal difficulty. I've have never played the mod so I don't know (or care) how it compares with it.

It was quite easy (but then, it is normal after all. I have yet to try a higher difficulty) as long as everyone talked to each other over the mic and pointed out aliens coming our way. Then we got to the mission which gave us our first taste of parasites and hell broke lose. One guy got infected and ran around begging for a medic but he couldn't get the healing beacons down in time so he promptly exploded right in the middle of our group sending parasites out everywhere and the same happened to us too. :lol:

This process continued until I unlocked the medic gun which was able to deal with infections much more effectively than the beacons, it was hilarious while it lasted though.

On another note does anyone know if the "customize battle music" option is working properly? It's found in audio from options IIRC. I put some of the Final Liberation soundtrack into it but the music only played twice in the campaign (during the lift sequence near the beginning and while escaping from the nuke at the end). One of my friends said his music didn't play at all while another said his played pretty often.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Thanks for the explanation Wulf. Too bad the game crashes as soon as a map loads. From the forum it seems like I'm not the only one with the problem. Probably a driver error as they all seem to have nvidia cards.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Trash said:
Thanks for the explanation Wulf. Too bad the game crashes as soon as a map loads. From the forum it seems like I'm not the only one with the problem. Probably a driver error as they all seem to have nvidia cards.

Well that's strange, since I also have a nvidia geforge fx 9600 card. And I've also heard of this from another codexer, Jim Cojones I think. He said that there's a 50 page thread over at valve's forums, so a patch'll soon be available.

Joghurt

Augur
HA HA Today I've played Alien Swarm in about 10 different random groups of people and 7/10 times after we complete a level somebody draws a penis on the map.

:smug:

MapMan

Arcane
Ok, so I tried speed runs with friends. Its absolutely insane. We managed to finish the first map in 1:25 which is exactly the time needed for the achievement. Try it, there isnt even time to shoot enemies, you just have to skip pretty much everything. Really hardcore.

Multi-headed Cow

Joghurt said:
HA HA Today I've played Alien Swarm in about 10 different random groups of people and 7/10 times after we complete a level somebody draws a penis on the map.

:smug:
I do my part and either write penis or draw one too. :salute:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
If you had any decency, you'd draw a penis + a swastika, like I always did in Guild Wars :smug:

MapMan

Arcane
Haha, I've been doing more speed runs with friends. Done 4 speed runs total, try beating me :>

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Anybody want to schedule a time to play tonight(or day, wherever the fuck you may be)? I haven't gotten a chance to play it seriously yet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Darth Roxor said:
If you had any decency, you'd draw a penis + a swastika, like I always did in Guild Wars :smug:
I made swastikas out of flares in WoW. A guy gquitted because I was also a guild officer. Man I'm so cool and racist.

DefJam101

Arcane
Game is very cool but too easy and short. They really left things up to the modders, feels like Mount & Blade with pseudopods and machine guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom