Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

Rhalle

Magister
Gaiz the big news about this game is that it is 3D quasi-isometric, made for a party of players, will have a tileset, and it and the SDK are free.

So, go go Kodex. Here's your free engine. The really hard work is done.

MapMan

Arcane
I played a couple of games and its really fun. Insane difficulty is really hard, couldnt complete first mission but I think it'll be easier once we(me+ friends) get all the weapons. I'm getting exceptionally low framerates though, something must be bugged. People report same problems on the forums.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't download it. Steam keeps telling me the servers are too busy to handle my request.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Sucks. Too easy to fuck it up with friendly fire, and all that light and shiny, glossy surfaces make it damn hard to distinguish your teammates from everything else during heavy firefights.

Multi-headed Cow

Grunker said:
It seems pretty obvious that this "free" game will cash in by micro-transacting additional campaigns.
I doubt it since they're releasing the full SDK with it. I doubt it will get more official content but it's a big open playground for modders. And since it uses tiles for the maps this leads me to believe new maps will download super fast, so this might be like the golden era of Tribes for instantly downloading user made maps. :thumbsup:

Download's at 76% now, looking forward to trying it out.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Just played the offline level and it seems fun. I'd play online now but 1) I hate strangers and 2) that pr0n movie just done downloading.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played the offline mode and didn't get any crashes or noticeable problems. The graphics seem fine but I'm not one of these technophiles that knows anything about AA and Filtering and whatever -- suffice to say they are more than fine for the genre.

Game play is pretty nice and I can see how it will take a decent amount of cooperation and planning with weapon/item slots to get through the harder difficulties.

For a free game this is far superior to what other developers charge $20+ for.

deshields538

Scholar
Downloaded and played the offline practice a bit. Love the atmosphere so far and gameplay is certainly entertaining. It's very easy for things to go to hell very quickly if you aren't careful. Just waiting for my friends to download it so we can give it a true test.

racofer

Thread Incliner
[Racofer] So is that the best you can do?

1. I'm sorry, I didn't mean that.
2. Sort of, yea.
3. Give me your KKKs.
4. [Attack]
5. I should go.

Multi-headed Cow

Played 5 missions before the random decent people I ended up with started dropping. First one was on normal, next 4 were on hard. Easier than the UT2004 mod but still reasonably difficult. Missions are very fast but a lot of fun. Assuming the community picks up and runs with the SDK (Which since it's a free game it seems likely) this could kick all sorts of ass. As-is it's still really fun for free.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
After playing online with three friends -- yeah it's a blast. Before I was just playing with one other guy and it doesn't seem like the game adjusts for difficulty when you have fewer players plus there are no bots in on-line play. So, really, if you don't want to deal with random strangers you'd have to have at least two other friends to form a group of three as you'd be in trouble on harder difficulties without a medkit, ammo stock, and a sentry for certain situations.

Korgan

Arbiter
Downloading. Let's schedule something for this week already, so I know when to take a day off at the shop.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Cool game, I like it better than L4D and the potential for mods is very very interesting. But I really can't play this with random faggots, at least until they disable teamkilling. I got hit a lot more by my idiot teammates trying desperately to hit every single fucking alien, including the ones I was already dealing with. Hopefully it will get better after everyone learns not to be idiots.
Multi-headed Cow said:
Oh god, greatest thing in this:
hats.jpg

HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats
IMO the alien hat is by far the ugliest hat in TF2. The user-submitted ones look a million times better. The texture is one color, the normals suck, the claws are too white, and you can cut yourself on those polygons.I would much rather have gotten the shotgun/minigun/flamethrower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom