Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aliens: Dark Descent - real-time squad-based tactical action

ArchAngel

Arcane
You are a joke. It was way easier with new OP classes and it made end game even easier after you had access to unique weapons from enemy heroes
Well I suppose I can't refute the later game stuff because I never finished it. I was pretty burnt out on XCOM 2 at that point. But the earlier game stuff like the batlles with the Chosen were far more difficult than anything I faced in the base game. I'm also not going to give you the benefit of the doubt because you're ArchAngel and you say stupid shit all the time.
Lol you didn't even finish it haha.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1687679517021.png

This seems like the Best Shit Ever considering the ammo scarcity.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This and the mines. Seriously, take at least one dude with land mines 100% of times, they are a real game changer. They dont even trigger the search, so they can be used for stealth take downs of patroling aliens too.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
View attachment 37897

This seems like the Best Shit Ever considering the ammo scarcity.

I find the one that lets you bring more ammo into the mission a bit better. Resting requires tools for welding, so you're basically trading one scarce resource for another. Tools get a lot more scarce in later missions, as do safe rest rooms with single entrances.

Once you unlock plasma rifles things also get a bit easier, as they just melt xenos while using less rounds per xeno. Not so much in the final mission when the map is swarming with them, though.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I will be completely honest, I find Medium difficulty to feel better than hard. The xenos become bullet spongey. Also I feel like sometimes your marines are too finicky, especially when you need that grenade RIGHT NOW and they refuse to shoot.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I will be completely honest, I find Medium difficulty to feel better than hard. The xenos become bullet spongey. Also I feel like sometimes your marines are too finicky, especially when you need that grenade RIGHT NOW and they refuse to shoot.
Maybe you do not have command points to use that grenade

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's a very beta male mindset you have there. Seems to me this game may be too intellectualy demanding and complex for a person such as yourself. You should consider downgrading to something aimed at simple folk, like Mario + Rabbids. I'm not trying to be condescending btw. You just seem like you would be better off playing something that doesn't require a brain or skills of any kind.

Mortmal

Arcane
Even with bugs and minor annoyances, this is probably the best game I bought this year (except for maybe Caves of Lore which I'm slowly going through).

It has a really addictive quality that draws you in. The ability to leave missions at any time is also an excellent addition. You're always faced with decisions in the game: do I want to search these rooms for resources? Should I extract now or is the squad good to take another beating? Should I pop a turret here and risk losing it because I'm out of tools?

Now I kind of want a RPG made in the style.
Yes its really good, so you want a rpg where everything is at stake every fight and you can run out of ressouces if mismanaging , then lot of exploration. Welcome in the club.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That's a very beta male mindset you have there. Seems to me this game may be too intellectualy demanding and complex for a person such as yourself. You should consider downgrading to something aimed at simple folk, like Mario + Rabbids. I'm not trying to be condescending btw. You just seem like you would be better off playing something that doesn't require a brain or skills of any kind.
Tell us how you do on Nightmare difficulty. You will probably quit after first non tutorial mission Mr "I never finished super easy Xcom 2 WotC"

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tell us how you do on Nightmare difficulty. You will probably quit after first non tutorial mission Mr "I never finished super easy Xcom 2 WotC"
I will record myself playing through the entire damn thing on nightmare. And when it's all over I will spend the rest of my life waving it front of your faces like a giant alpha dick.
I might even watch that lol. Trainwrecks are fun to watch in a morbid way

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Look, I could play on Hard, but the feel of the game is off. It probably won't be too difficult once you figure out the best approach to each map.

Plus, you know, I'm not a habitual console player who struggles with delirium tremens.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder what the "realistic" approach would be to these missions. 4 man squads feels a bit tight considering what they have to overcome. But maybe it would be too chaotic having more marines than that. 4 men seems to filling up the claustrophobic corridors already.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
IMO several 4 men teams would be fine for clearing the interiors, with a larger force keeping security outside with vehicles and the drop ship circling overhead to provide fire support (the drop ship not being available as support is one thing that disappoints me a bit, would be cool to call down rocket/gun runs). Armed drones would probably work great as well, as they would eliminate the threat of soldiers being infested by facehuggers.

From the gameplay point of view I understand that the team needs to be kept small, in any realistic scenario the aliens wouldn’t really be much of a threat to a military unit with multiple vehicles and air support. The films show that well enough imo, as it is always a small isolated unit or a bunch of civilians that get terrorized. Its not that different from lets say the Deep Ones from Lovecraftian Mythos - they are terrifying to a single unarmed dude, but the government wipes the floor with them once it figures out they are out there.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wonder what the "realistic" approach would be to these missions. 4 man squads feels a bit tight considering what they have to overcome. But maybe it would be too chaotic having more marines than that. 4 men seems to filling up the claustrophobic corridors already.
The best solution to this problem would be a squad of 4 marines wearing tactical dreadnought suits.
m410443a_60010699001_enshboxfront_873x627.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
IMO several 4 men teams would be fine for clearing the interiors, with a larger force keeping security outside with vehicles and the drop ship circling overhead to provide fire support (the drop ship not being available as support is one thing that disappoints me a bit, would be cool to call down rocket/gun runs). Armed drones would probably work great as well, as they would eliminate the threat of soldiers being infested by facehuggers.

From the gameplay point of view I understand that the team needs to be kept small, in any realistic scenario the aliens wouldn’t really be much of a threat to a military unit with multiple vehicles and air support. The films show that well enough imo, as it is always a small isolated unit or a bunch of civilians that get terrorized. Its not that different from lets say the Deep Ones from Lovecraftian Mythos - they are terrifying to a single unarmed dude, but the government wipes the floor with them once it figures out they are out there.
Realism would end with a lot of dead soldiers. In this game soldiers are much more resistant than they would be.
And even in this game if they come from 2-3 directions 3 aliens that get into melee range can take down 4 soldiers.
And on top of that there would be a lot of panic and friendly fire

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still, more 4 man teams beyond one would probably be the best, to keep ambush points at a minimum. I have a feeling nuking from orbit would become standard rather fast when it comes to Xeno outbreaks.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Still, more 4 man teams beyond one would probably be the best, to keep ambush points at a minimum. I have a feeling nuking from orbit would become standard rather fast when it comes to Xeno outbreaks.
Yes. Protoss way!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I'm sure in any non-FUBAR situation, they would just send specialized combat synths/drones in.

Aliens literally can't into robot warfare.

But this isn't one of those franchises where you can apply too much realism into.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'm sure in any non-FUBAR situation, they would just send specialized combat synths/drones in.

Aliens literally can't into robot warfare.

But this isn't one of those franchises where you can apply too much realism into.
Synths wouldn't do much better against xenos. Sure they have superhuman strength but I'm pretty sure a xeno would still tear them apart. Bishop got tore in half like tissue paper. Granted it was by the queen but I imagine a regular drone would be capable of doing the same thing.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I got to say, the amount of money Weyland put into this alien thing must now outweigh the benefits of capturing one. Find it hilarious how much manpower and resources they are willing to throw at this, considering every goddamn project fails massively.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom