Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2

Achilles

Arcane
Volourn said:
FFS

Over half of his reasons are either full bullshit, illogical, retarted, or just minor difference in opinion.

FFS

Actually, I've played both games and most of his reasons are sound. Some may be debatable, but the rest are valid points.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Actually, I've played both games and most of his reasons are sound. Some may be debatable, but the rest are valid points."

But, you are an idiot so your opinion is invalid.

Radisshu

Prophet
From the comments on the article:

Umm... I could barely play AP cuz the combat doesn't work. Like... NOT AT ALL. I had to restart a mission becuase my objective was flying around the room for no apparent reason and insta-killed me when I tried to get close. Also, mention the enemies phasing into boxes and then trying to shoot out at you and failing. You also can't shoot at them. This game is still an early beta it feels like...

What does this even mean?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Jaedar said:
Fat Dragon said:
Uninstalled and am replaying Deus Ex. Maybe one day we'll get a proper successor to this game.
Doubt it... maybe when consoles get powerful enough to support large, open maps. Or developers start regressing graphics wise. Either way, it ain't gonna happen this console generation.

You may be right but your reasoning sucks.

Large open maps?? Have you played Red Dead Redemption/GTA or Just Cause 2? Particualarly RDR/JC2 - massive open worlds with absolutely no instancing or loading.....

Suchy

Arcane
I want to like this game, so far the writing is OK and the story somewhat interesting... but the gameplay is so fucking terrible I just can't make myself play it. The worst shooting mechanics since GTA3, dumb AI, bad controls (wtf is the issue with mouse sensitivity), tiny levels, and everything looks like it's constantly zoomed in. Yeah, Obsidian sucks at cameras.

hoochimama

Liturgist
If you don't enjoy the missions your best bet is to play it on easy non-rookie and go for a combat build(with pistol as first or secondary skill) to minimize frustration and time spent in unenjoyable missions. Maybe some points in sabotage too to ease minigames.

denizsi

Arcane
My initial reaction was positive, despite recognizing how full of shit the game is. After subsequent plays, I've decided that the game is consolized popamole (in its true meaning) shit. Writing is very bad to medicore. Story is silly. You get a data pad from one guy and the whole game revolves around chasing contacts found in that data pad. It's all too rushed, shit happens too fast and too easily. Player isn't even given any opportunity to get used to the idea of being a part of a under the radar government agency and get familiar with it (see Deus Ex for this done right).

There's no coherence. You are given three cities around the world but absolutely no clue as to what the details related to the people in those cities entail until you arrive at the city and then you're bombarded with names almost as if pulled out of someone's ass. There is no "investigation", no "adventuring". It's all very poor and handled poorer.

Most everything about the game is utterly insignificant and forgettable, it feels very much like an mediocre console action game made by total industry nobodies. I can't imagine myself ever wanting to play the game again at some point in future. All the game has got going for itself is the CnC, the curiosity to see all CnC angles and to know if you have found out everything and there are some good stuff in there too, but still very forgettable.

This may be the most mediocre and insignificant game Obsidian have produced.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Weird, I agree with most of your complaints but I don't understand the change in opinion.

I mean the elements you criticize would be apparent on a first playthrough, did you feel like the story was better on your first playthrough or that there was more to choosing missions and "investigating", or were expecting completely different story paths and different missions and were disappointed it didn't change on subsequent playthroughs?

Typically when people become disenchanted with these types of games on subsequent playthroughs it's because there was an illusion of choice on the first playthrough, but a second playthrough with different choices can reveal how they were fake or mostly just fluff with the game experience being largely the same, so you realize you already know the entire game's scope and are disappointed by it. Might also want to factor in saturation from having finished the game several times over the course of a week.

Still doesn't invalidate the enjoyment you got out of the first playthrough.

MetalCraze

Arcane
TwinkieGorilla said:
you'd prefer worse?

They both suck. In fact tranny orcs wielding 2 meters long swords in a Fallout setting is all you'll ever need to know about this addon to F3. Looks like Josh Sawyer is seriously trying to outdo Emil.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Jason said:
Your choice of things to say in Alpha Protocol is almost always clear. It's a simple abstract system. You choose among suave, aggressive, and professional comments (the developers break it down as Bond, Bauer, or

Instead of giving you the options of picking suave, aggressive, or professional and then seeing what the writers have to say. They should do away with the writers altogether and just print:

"You succeed/fail in saying something suave."

"You succeed/fail in saying something aggressive."

"You succeed/fail in saying something professional ."

I think this simple improvement would bring RPGs further into the mainstream. :thumbsup:

Volourn said:
"Do you have a clever "SOZZY!"-style meme in case you hate AP?

crAPy!"

No way can AP be that bad. No way in hell.

Just you wait. SoZ was boring and had a crap engine, but AP is a broken mishmash of MGS and ME, failing to live up to either of them.

Felix

Arcane
Alpha Protocol is better than Mass Effect 2

+1

Slow day, those wares are not moving :(

Achilles

Arcane
I wouldn't say it's better than Mass Effect 2, unless you absolutely hated the shooting mechanics of ME2. It does some things better, but also some things worse. The article does a good job in highlighting these differences I think.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Can't think of one thing ME2 did better than AP.
Shooting?
Animations?
Simplicity?
Graphics?

Take your pick.

Felix

Arcane
Jaedar said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Can't think of one thing ME2 did better than AP.
Shooting?
Animations?
Simplicity?
Graphics?

Take your pick.

No
Yes and No
Yes "Streamlined"
No, I hate boxes, at least you can believe people can live in houses in AP.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:
tranny orcs wielding 2 meters long swords in a Fallout setting is all you'll ever need to know about this addon to F3.

oh, cool. so i don't even have to play it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom