Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Reviewed

A user named cat

Looks like a poor man's version of Hitman: Blood Money. The AI does appear braindead too, they don't seem to use any tactics. Enemy icons through walls and mini-games also look incredibly gay. Just another boring new game, NEXT.

circ

Arcane
The Wizard said:
KalosKagathos said:
Live stream of some dude playing it: http://it.justin.tv/tyndis#r=null~
jesus christ the animations are bad. not fallout 3 bad, but still pretty bad.
Animations are worse. Voice acting makes me gag. Graphics are better than I thought. Obsidian apparently still haven't learned what a game camera is, or how CQC works. Though the latter two could just be a fucked up guy playing it.

roll-a-die

Magister
Graphics whores. Name one fully 3d RPG where the animation is any good?

Also he appears to be attempting to glitch it intentionally.

As to the VO they are decent enough from what I've seen.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK IS THEIR HAND TO HAND COMBAT SYSTEM BASED ON FUCKING NARUTO?!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Phantasmal said:
Looks like a poor man's version of Hitman: Blood Money. The AI does appear braindead too, they don't seem to use any tactics. Enemy icons through walls and mini-games also look incredibly gay. Just another boring new game, NEXT.

I've been pretty positive so far but I've got to admit the mini-games and the braindead AI gives me a :(-feeling

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You should look up "it was sarcasm/joke" in various lists of worst arguments in the internet.
Maybe you should, because sarcasm is a fine argument. Or maybe it doesn't exist in Russia. /shrug

If you are willing to imediately jump in to defend the game you haven't played just because someone dares to suspect that it have flaws it definetely smells of fanboyism.
The only thing I'm defending is one person's first hand experience of a game. As opposed to another person's suspicion with no experience with the game.

If you cite me a source that also has first hand experience with the game, and admits that the shooting is like ME1, then you have an argument.

Otherwise, I am simply analyzing the validity of sources of information, and first hand feedback, no matter how unreliable, is more valid than one Russian's suspicions.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Graphics whores. Name one fully 3d RPG where the animation is any good?
Sad truth. I wish gamers would realize that good animation trumps high polys/high textures/bloom in terms of graphics quality.

Trying to use martial arts when surrounded by guys with guns?

Does not turn out like the movies, as this guy just found out.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Mangoose said:
The only thing I'm defending is one person's first hand experience of a game.

Chateaubryan said:
First feedbacks :

- Most missions seems to have 3-4 routes, Deus-Ex style.

- C&C's, baby. Some players plan on replaying the game to get the bigger picture.

- Intel provides much informations. A little too much to read, even.

- Stealth is Uber. One guy who played it said he did the first 4 missions without getting spotted. He didn't say wich difficulty he played on.

- Gunfights are hard. Unless you take 2 seconds to aim, you miss quite often.

- Timed choices = shit.

Looks like you were so blinded by fanboy rage that you didn't notice that Chateaubryan is just retelling what he read on some forum and thats why there can be different interpretations of his post, he just gives a quick summary of impressions of other people. Fucking fanboys.

:pete:

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
roll-a-die said:
EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK IS THEIR HAND TO HAND COMBAT SYSTEM BASED ON FUCKING NARUTO?!

As I recall it, they took in a judo expert of some sort for the martial arts stuff, so it should be based on that.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hamster said:
Looks like you were so blinded by fanboy rage that you didn't notice that Chateaubryan is just retelling what he read on some forum and thats why there can be different interpretations of his post, he just gives a quick summary of impressions of other people. Fucking fanboys.
And those impressions are first hand experiences that he summarized. Read carefully: Actual. Experience. With. The. Game. And when the targeted subject is an objective observable phenomenon, not a subjective opinion, then you trust that first hand experience unless you have actual objective observable data that it former is wrong.

So, yes, I was wrong that it's not just "one person's first hand experience," but MULTIPLE first hand experiences.

And yes, there can be different interpretations, but any interpretation of "taking 2 seconds to aim" is different from ME1, where the time taken to aim has zero effect on accuracy.

Your "interpretation" is that he is wrong in that observation, which thus is not an interpretation but a denial with the weak support of a retarded suspicion.

Lexx

Cipher
The only thing I don't like so far is, that sneaking works as invisible spell and you can run around in front of the enemies. That's a real no-no for me.

Beside this, I've bought the game as well, just waiting for it to get shipped now.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Mangoose said:
And those impressions are first hand experiences that he summarized.

Those are first hand expirience you did not read yourself and have no idea what they are actually about, you stupid fanboy.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
Supposed first impressions or skyway-like clairvoyance, which is a better discussion topic and why

YOU CANNOT DOUBT A GAME WILL BE AWESOME BEFORE YOU PLAYED IT, I AM REPORTING YOU TO THE MODERATOR FOR NEGATIVE BEHAVIOUR!

Feel free to point out where I said you can't doubt it will be awesome, bro

It will be a litte hard to do since I was just pointing out that calling someone a fanboy for wanting to talk about someone's first impressions instead of your skywayish antics is p. retarded

then again, Hamster

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Is it really so hard to try to understand what the discussion was about before jumping in to defend the new shit from Obsidian?

Clockwork Knight said:
Feel free to point out where I said you can't doubt it will be awesome, bro

I mean, shit, I know we were all paying attention to your cool stories before we knew about someone's first impressions, but you need to understand the other kids need attention too

specially if there's a possibility they have something to say other than generic raeg

Elzair

Cipher
KalosKagathos said:
As depressing as it is, BioWare writes some of the best video game stories

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

(it's not that they are genuinely good, but that the competition is even worse), making your example rather unfair. Try comparing stories of Ultima, Might and Magic games, Wizardry, Diablo or Titan Quest (or hell, even Fallout and Arcanum) to those of JRPGs and you won't have a clear winner anymore. In any case, writing is not what makes a good game.

Have you actually played an Ultima game (that was between III & IX)? They tend to be FAR superior to anything Bioware has ever done.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Elzair said:
Have you actually played an Ultima game (that was between III & IX)? They tend to be FAR superior to anything Bioware has ever done.
Only played IV. I don't remember anything about the story. Something about virtues and stuffies.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Hamster said:
Mangoose said:
And those impressions are first hand experiences that he summarized.

Those are first hand expirience you did not read yourself and have no idea what they are actually about, you stupid fanboy.
When someone passes along a simple and specific objective observation such as "you need to take several seconds to aim" you think I have to doubt there was mistake in translation? It is not a complex concept or a subjective opinion he is passing along, but a simple observation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom