Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

circ

Arcane
Ok, I've gone from a complete hater fuck you Obsidian to a semi-hater. I re-installed it because bitches won't shut the fuck up about it, and well shit, I'm having an iota of fun, unlike when I re-installed DA:O. Too bad the camera angle is giving me minor nausea, and the glitchy gameplay.

But some questions.

Why does every weapon look exactly the same? Just with new paint jobs. Do you get other models in later hubs? In Saudi land right now doing fourth mission or something.

roll-a-die

Magister
Clockwork Knight said:
roll-a-die said:
It is in oblvion as well, just take the mooncalf power at start, toggle invis and kill someone or steal something expensive. Repeat every day from then on.

Invisibility gets cancelled by actions like killing or stealing.
Actually it get's canceled just after the act of stealing, thus allowing you to steal one object or kill one person in one hit. Granted, I haven't played oblivion in a year, so I could be wrong. But that is as I recall it.

roll-a-die

Magister
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Nah, pretty sure you get caught when you do it. You do in Morrowind, certainly.
Kay, I'll accept your info. Again I haven't play Oblivion in over a year now and when I did the directory weighed around 25 gigs.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
circ said:
Why does every weapon look exactly the same? Just with new paint jobs. Do you get other models in later hubs? In Saudi land right now doing fourth mission or something.
weapons from the same manufacturer look the same but have different paintjobs. you should notice that your starting stuff looks different from the weapons in the saudi shop.
what manufacturers are available to you depends on what connections you made, but there aren't that many.

MetalCraze

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Mocap, a good animation, does not make.
Yes it does. It scans real movements of a human.

IIRC Morrowind used early mocap tech, as did Oblivion.
Early mocap tech? You mean from early 90s that was already present even in 2d games at the time? :lol:
No they didn't.

What I'm saying is that Animation is hard to make universal. 1 jump animation, 1 fall animation, these don't look good in all situations. See Oblivion where the jump animation is complete shit.
Yes it's complete shit in Oblivion. So what? Why can't I jump anywhere I want and logically can?
Try harder.

Once again IT'S NOT AN OPEN WORLD GAME! And even in open world games you run into the same issues. Game design is an art form, people make mistakes and have to make cuts. Floating trees in oblivion and every other open world game can attest to this.
So why can't I jump down wherever I want?
If we are to compare AP to another 3rd person shooter - Max Payne isn't an open world game either. Somehow it doesn't have any problems with animations and jumping over 30 cm barriers. I guess those shitty techs of 2000 made it all possible just by accident - not like super cool techs of 2010 where it's next to impossible to achieve jumping over a small fence.

Some of the most fun you can have in Deus Ex is literally breaking it via the level design cuts they had to make and things they forgot to remove.
Actually I recommend you not to bring Deus Ex into the discussion since it had various alternative routes through its non-linear maps.

Also please post me these terrible design cuts and things they forgot to remove?

Simply that you seem to think everything should be non-linear open world bullshit.
You mean like having a better level design without air being too tight to jump through it and no quest compasses to guide you through primitive levels? Yes. Don't you want the same?

It is in oblvion as well, just take the mooncalf power at start, toggle invis and kill someone or steal something expensive. Repeat every day from then on.
Yet you will still get busted. And jeez once per day - totally like in AP!

Indeed I did torrent it, but I also played in on release, I just had to sell most of my video games and comics to pay off some of my atrocious college debts.
If you've played it half of your stupid comments about how more or less open levels break games, how you need arrows pointing you at what to do and how AP's stealth is fine wouldn't exist.

Every James Bond from The Spy Who Loved Me onward. And a few before then.
Every Borne movie and book.
A bunch of Tom Clancy books.
And a few other miscellaneous one here in there that I can recall the names of because I'm terrible with names of any sort.
And main characters were becoming invisible out of the blue?
Or tried to stay undetected in a tough situation? There is a very important difference - think carefully.

A few manga's have done it, as have a couple Chinese spy movies, I can't recall the names because I have next to no memory recall for names of things.
So you bring nonsensical anime stuff, names of which you don't "remember", as possible examples to protect AP?
This is a heavy stuff :lol:

The body positioning and language stuff does work to a lesser extent inside of crowds.
Finally - now I understand - all those crowds in AP use invisibility spells as well so you mix with them by casting your own!

Why are you calling dialogue cutscenes?
I got used to dialogues being presented as a list of well written, well presented options on which I can think and from which I can choose. And many times their availability depends on your skills as well as them containing skill checks, and not only of social stats - which AP btw doesn't have. Not watch an animated movie and play a timed minigame "select your stance and guess what Thorton will do!".

Cutscenes can feature dialogue yes. But in general a cutscene is a video you watch with no option or choice involved, see every JRPG and Western Shooter ever.
Yes here they give you a "choice" with which you decide which animated cutscene to watch.

And what of reading dossiers and emails at your hideout.
Well thankfully you still can read them, instead of Thorton doing it for you in an animated cutscene which is at least something good.

And you have just proved my point IN ALL GOOD RPG's Gameplay is a vehicle to propel the story. Combat in fallout and Arcanum sucks, but the story within them and the quests you take more than make up for it.
How about trying playing these games for once because you clearly haven't?
In Fallouts the whole "story" which takes about 5 minutes of the total game time is just an excuse to push you out into the wasteland. And in Arcanum the story is "you come to this town, but there's more info in that town - go there - repeat" with the plot progression coming into play only somewhere by the end. So what propells what?
Also combat in Fallout sucks? Jeez it isn't anything extraordinary, but sucks?

RoA seems much the same. But gameplay being a big bonus, I'll have to locate a copy of these, provided I don't have it in my big folder of torrented old RPG's.

:lol:
I truly don't know what to reply to this one. Heavy stuff. I'm at a total loss of words.

Also a good plot doesn't have to be over arching, Fallouts was good because of the fact that you did move from town to town. And the many smaller better plots made up for the decent larger plot.
No Fallouts were good because of their gameplay, non-linear quest design, character system - they could've taken place in one city and yet still remain what they are. Fallout 1 didn't even have any reasonable amount of writing at all and in Fallout 2 its writing actually hurt.

Really now? For the first 4 pages of your post record I see 1 strategy gaming post, the rest being general RPG, general gaming or a scant few GD. On the fifth there are 2 more, The majority being GG and GD. In the first ten page's there are around 17 strategy gaming posts, but around 70 GRPG and 70 GG posts. Seems to me you are lying.
It may appear as the shock to you, but when I came here Codex still discussed RPGs and an average Codexer made me feel like a total noob when it comes to knowledge of the topic. ESF retards and other fanboys that posted arguments like "you can't criticize the game until you've played it! you just hate all games! who needs previews I know the game should be awsum! baaaawwww you are dumb! it's good for what it is - at least it's better than shit!" were boo'ed at and thrown out of the door and the majority of posters seemed to have their quirks, unlike the circlejerking grey mass, incapable of being individualistic, that overwhelms the Codex now.
The biggest irony is that even Andhaira has a way better knowledge about RPGs than any average inhabitant of GRPGD these days.

So I had to turn my attention to the strategy subforum some time ago as it is the only place where intelligent discussions exist. I treat GRPGD as GD now because there is no difference now, a normal post with arguments will often meet 2 pages of fanboi butthurt, same as any one-liner (and it happens not only to my posts by far) - that's why I rarely try to post arguments these days - what's the point?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I get the feeling that Obsidian really just ran out of time/money on animation or had bad animators. The "turning invisibility" concern would have been more or less solved by an animation of the player quickly doing a stealthy move to get out of the way. Or turning on digital camouflage. Or a smoke bomb. Abstractly, the end result is the same, I guess.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
SKYWAY! Your fellow haters are slowly starting to hate this console popamole shit less and less! Are you a bad enough bro to stand ground all alone in the fight against the ultimate evil and decline of worse-than-Oblivion Obsidian (Obsidian and Oblivion both start and end with the same letters - I don't think that's a coincidence!) games?!

1eyedking

Erudite
MetalCraze said:
Because that would mean they'd have to design maps in a non-linear, serious way, silly.

I mean, come on, everyone knows adding a "jumping mechanism" to a game increases its complexity exponentially.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ME14.jpg
y21.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wFEB4Oxlo

roll-a-die

Magister
MetalCraze said:
roll-a-die said:
Mocap, a good animation, does not make.
Yes it does. It scans real movements of a human.
Try to get good mocap of someone jumping over an edge and you'll see what I mean. It's doesn't work to well. Also, you generally have to clean mocap data to make it mesh with other mocap data. Which is another expensive, time consuming process all together.
IIRC Morrowind used early mocap tech, as did Oblivion.
Early mocap tech? You mean from early 90s that was already present even in 2d games at the time? :lol:
No they didn't.
Ah OK that's right I was using a mod that included mocap.

Also the Mocap of the nineties was Rotoscoping which is much easier than actual 3d mocap. Less expensive as well, and technically classifies as hand animated.
What I'm saying is that Animation is hard to make universal. 1 jump animation, 1 fall animation, these don't look good in all situations. See Oblivion where the jump animation is complete shit.
Yes it's complete shit in Oblivion. So what? Why can't I jump anywhere I want and logically can?
Try harder.
Because it's not a platformer, nor is it an open world game, nor is it a traditional FPS. Nor does it included the stylised John Woo type action of Max Payne.
Once again IT'S NOT AN OPEN WORLD GAME! And even in open world games you run into the same issues. Game design is an art form, people make mistakes and have to make cuts. Floating trees in oblivion and every other open world game can attest to this.
If we are to compare AP to another 3rd person shooter - Max Payne isn't an open world game either. Somehow it doesn't have any problems with animations and jumping over 30 cm barriers. I guess those shitty techs of 2000 made it all possible just by accident - not like super cool techs of 2010 where it's next to impossible to achieve jumping over a small fence.
The not being able to jump over barriers is interesting from a design standpoint. I don't know why they didn't include it either. It's still not a major flaw. It doesn't deride anything from the overall experience except provide something for punk kid's/internet tough guy's like you to complain about.
Some of the most fun you can have in Deus Ex is literally breaking it via the level design cuts they had to make and things they forgot to remove.
Actually I recommend you not to bring Deus Ex into the discussion since it had various alternative routes through its non-linear maps.

Also please post me these terrible design cuts and things they forgot to remove?
http://www.it-he.org/deus3.htm
It's also a quite linear in plot RPG.
Simply that you seem to think everything should be non-linear open world bullshit.
You mean like having a better level design without air being too tight to jump through it and no quest compasses to guide you through primitive levels? Yes. Don't you want the same?
If it's in every game it becomes mediocre, average and the norm in game, and thus would stop warranting praise and instead would warrant derision. Just because non-linearity hasn't been done badly, doesn't mean it won't be.
Yet you will still get busted. And jeez once per day - totally like in AP!
We've already confirmed that was a mistake on my part. It's likely not me remembering properly how to do it because I haven't played the game in a year.
Indeed I did torrent it, but I also played in on release, I just had to sell most of my video games and comics to pay off some of my atrocious college debts.
If you've played it half of your stupid comments about how more or less open levels break games, how you need arrows pointing you at what to do and how AP's stealth is fine wouldn't exist.
I'm not saying you need arrows or anything, I'm saying you need some kind of indicator when you restrict something like jump to indicate that you can jump there.

I'm also not saying it's fine I'm saying it can't be as bad as you are saying, once again this factors into my "Skyway doesn't understand non-binary thought" Theory. It's possible for something to be mediocre.
Every James Bond from The Spy Who Loved Me onward. And a few before then.
Every Borne movie and book.
A bunch of Tom Clancy books.
And a few other miscellaneous one here in there that I can recall the names of because I'm terrible with names of any sort.
And main characters were becoming invisible out of the blue?
Or tried to stay undetected in a tough situation? There is a very important difference - think carefully.
As the post under you asserts, it could have been explained better, also who's to say he becomes truly invisible, it could be a manifestation of, you know an RPG power, like how you fade out of existence in pretty much every 2d RPG ever when you sneak. AP is an RPG, abstractions like that are common within them, often without in-universe explanation
A few manga's have done it, as have a couple Chinese spy movies, I can't recall the names because I have next to no memory recall for names of things.
So you bring nonsensical anime stuff, names of which you don't "remember", as possible examples to protect AP?
This is a heavy stuff :lol:
I'm terrible with foreign languages, meng. Hell I'm terrible with speaking English. Also I've been alive for over 30 years, things tend to get lost in that much time. Can you remember what you had for breakfast last Thursday. Let alone 2 years ago.
The body positioning and language stuff does work to a lesser extent inside of crowds.
Finally - now I understand - all those crowds in AP use invisibility spells as well so you mix with them by casting your own!
[/quote]
Oh hush, exaggerations are very common in all forms of fiction. Kind of like what your doing now.
Why are you calling dialogue cutscenes?
I got used to dialogues being presented as a list of well written, well presented options on which I can think and from which I can choose. And many times their availability depends on your skills as well as them containing skill checks, and not only of social stats - which AP btw doesn't have. Not watch an animated movie and play a timed minigame "select your stance and guess what Thorton will do!".
[/quote]
So it's a case of "IT'S NEW! OH GAWD! IT SUCKS!" style Skywayism, only now your saying oblivion is better that that.

Also TES has a speech stat and skill checks does that make the dialogue good?
Cutscenes can feature dialogue yes. But in general a cutscene is a video you watch with no option or choice involved, see every JRPG and Western Shooter ever.
"HERP DERP, IT'S JUST A CURTSCENE MAN."
WHICH CONTAIN DIALOGUE.

How is the dialogue? Give it an honest critique beyond, "It's shit."

Hell, how is the story, from what I'm seeing it's quite nonlinear.
And what of reading dossiers and emails at your hideout.
Well thankfully you still can read them, instead of Thorton doing it for you in an animated cutscene which is at least something good.
Oh how cute, yet more blind insults, without the proper contrast to make it true criticism.
And you have just proved my point IN ALL GOOD RPG's Gameplay is a vehicle to propel the story. Combat in fallout and Arcanum sucks, but the story within them and the quests you take more than make up for it.
How about trying playing these games for once because you clearly haven't?
In Fallouts the whole "story" which takes about 5 minutes of the total game time is just an excuse to push you out into the wasteland. And in Arcanum the story is "you come to this town, but there's more info in that town - go there - repeat" with the plot progression coming into play only somewhere by the end. So what propells what?
Also combat in Fallout sucks? Jeez it isn't anything extraordinary, but sucks?
Companions rushing in front of you to soak up a grenade YOU THROW isn't what I'd call good combat. And it's a wasteland that is masterfully well crafted.
RoA seems much the same. But gameplay being a big bonus, I'll have to locate a copy of these, provided I don't have it in my big folder of torrented old RPG's.

I truly don't know what to reply to this one. Heavy stuff. I'm at a total loss of words.
Gameplay is a bonus to the story, good gameplay is an even bigger bonus.
I can stand crap gameplay for a good story(arcanum, etc). Just I can stand excellent gameplay with a lack of story(Roguelikes, 80-90s platformers).
Also a good plot doesn't have to be over arching, Fallouts was good because of the fact that you did move from town to town. And the many smaller better plots made up for the decent larger plot.
No Fallouts were good because of their gameplay, non-linear quest design, character system - they could've taken place in one city and yet still remain what they are. Fallout 1 didn't even have any reasonable amount of writing at all and in Fallout 2 its writing actually hurt.
The quest were decently written and nonlinear. The world design was also interesting. I'm not talking about the main overarching plot, I'm talking about the story, or should I say stories, overall.
Really now? For the first 4 pages of your post record I see 1 strategy gaming post, the rest being general RPG, general gaming or a scant few GD. On the fifth there are 2 more, The majority being GG and GD. In the first ten page's there are around 17 strategy gaming posts, but around 70 GRPG and 70 GG posts. Seems to me you are lying.
It may appear as the shock to you, but when I came here Codex still discussed RPGs and an average Codexer made me feel like a total noob when it comes to knowledge of the topic. ESF retards and other fanboys that posted arguments like "you can't criticize the game until you've played it! you just hate all games! who needs previews I know the game should be awsum! baaaawwww you are dumb! it's good for what it is - at least it's better than shit!" were boo'ed at and thrown out of the door and the majority of posters seemed to have their quirks, unlike the circlejerking grey mass, incapable of being individualistic, that overwhelms the Codex now.
The biggest irony is that even Andhaira has a way better knowledge about RPGs than any average inhabitant of GRPGD these days.

So I had to turn my attention to the strategy subforum some time ago as it is the only place where intelligent discussions exist. I treat GRPGD as GD now because there is no difference now, a normal post with arguments will often meet 2 pages of fanboi butthurt, same as any one-liner (and it happens not only to my posts by far) - that's why I rarely try to post arguments these days - what's the point?
FIRST 10 PAGES, LAST MONTH. Do those words mean anything to you. Of 250 posts the greater majority of them were in the GRPG or the GG forum. With GRPG taking it in a slight more majority. Only 17 going into Strategy. I repeat, me thinks you are lying.

Also to the 1eyedking, Max Payne had terribly linear levels, but was mainly loved for decent gameplay and a good story. The addition of jumping doesn't make it less linear.

Multi-headed Cow

Fuck it, I'm gonna keep pirating because I want to get in on this worse than Oblivion action.

MetalCraze

Arcane
1eyedking said:
MetalCraze said:
Because that would mean they'd have to design maps in a non-linear, serious way, silly.

I mean, come on, everyone knows adding a "jumping mechanism" to a game increases its complexity exponentially.

But how will you know where to jump down the best if you can jump down anywhere? This can be very confusing for the player.
And all those pesky jumping animations, modern technology doesn't support them yet - I mean look at AP running animations, you must be thankful at least for that.

MetalCraze

Arcane
roll-a-die said:
Try to get good mocap of someone jumping over an edge and you'll see what I mean.
Even BIS known for their crappy animations managed to mocap soldiers jumping over the small fence just fine.

It's doesn't work to well.
Enlighten me why, oh mocap guru?

Also, you generally have to clean mocap data to make it mesh with other mocap data. Which is another expensive, time consuming process all together.
Why did Obsidian include running and walking in the game then? It looks awful.
But I guess animations are expensive and time consuming and Obsidian don't have the time for that shit as they are dedicated to churning out a game every year! Who cares about quality?

Also the Mocap of the nineties was Rotoscoping which is much easier than actual 3d mocap. Less expensive as well, and technically classifies as hand animated.
Mocap of the nineties was mocap. As for 3D games it was there already in Fifa '98 (1997). It even shows how they were doing it in its intro video. 13 years old game having better animations, it's embarrassing.
And about rotoscoping - I think Obsidian should use at least that, because even rotoscoped animations look way better than the ones in their games.

I'm not saying you need arrows or anything, I'm saying you need some kind of indicator when you restrict something like jump to indicate that you can jump there.
And I'm saying that restricting only to premade pathes is lame - and somehow 15 years old games worked perfectly without any restrictions but today we suddenly need them.

Because it's not a platformer, nor is it an open world game, nor is it a traditional FPS. Nor does it included the stylised John Woo type action of Max Payne.
Then what is it?
It isn't RPG, it isn't shooter although it plays exactly like one, it isn't a stealth game, it isn't a 4X game either. What is it then?
An Obsidian Game(tm)?

The not being able to jump over barriers is interesting from a design standpoint. I don't know why they didn't include it either. It's still not a major flaw. It doesn't deride anything from the overall experience except provide something for punk kid's/internet tough guy's like you to complain about.
No it forces you to run only on specific paths even though you can see another level down below you, but you can't get there unless you jump from a specific point, which ruins free approach. Why not make it a railroad shooter where you don't even need to move - the game just moves you through a predefined path and you just point and shoot? The "decent story" totally makes up for something like that, right?

http://www.it-he.org/deus3.htm
It's also a quite linear in plot RPG.
So what makes you think that linear corridors in games don't have those bugs as well?

But ah jeez how game breaking. Using exploits and unfixed bugs totally breaks immershun and ruins the whole game. I see your point - I want my linear corridors now so I, god forbid, won't find a box somewhere it shouldn't be in one of 99999 playthroughs.

If it's in every game it becomes mediocre, average and the norm in game, and thus would stop warranting praise and instead would warrant derision. Just because non-linearity hasn't been done badly, doesn't mean it won't be.
Why don't you bitch about overused linear corridors in console shooters then, protecting them instead - because that's exactly what happened to them.

Non-linear levels will never become mediocre simply because that way it's more complex and gives more freedom in design. Or care to tell me how exactly can a game giving a player more freedom become bad apart from "anything that's done better than in AP is in fact bad!" "arguments"?

Can you remember what you had for breakfast last Thursday. Let alone 2 years ago.
Yeah, riiiiiight. It's so common in spy movies that suddenly you can't remember any.

Oh hush, exaggerations are very common in all forms of fiction. Kind of like what your doing now.
In good forms of fiction explanations for exaggerations are just as common. Didn't you say that you care about good writing, part of which is the setting?

So it's a case of "IT'S NEW! OH GAWD! IT SUCKS!" style Skywayism, only now your saying oblivion is better that that.
No it's a case of well written, well presented dialogue options full on stat and skill checks > primitive non-descriptive stances, which may as well hide all 3 of them leading to the same response. As in good work > laziness. I thought I made it clear enough.

WHICH CONTAIN DIALOGUE.
MGS' 20 minute long cutscenes also contain characters talking to each other.

How is the dialogue? Give it an honest critique beyond, "It's shit."
It's passable, apart from anime characters like Sie and that dual-weilding bitch what'shername with their "muahaha" styled dialogues when you tell them to fuck off and awfully written romances "oh Mike... do not think about me! You must stop them!" "Noo! I must protect you!" "Oh Mike!". That's why the actual dialogue writing doesn't get much flak from me. Worse than previous Avellone jobs in MotB and KotOR2 though, if only because they had no over-the-top characters.

Hell, how is the story, from what I'm seeing it's quite nonlinear.
As in X characters not appearing there, instead Y characters appearing instead of them? Lame.

Oh how cute, yet more blind insults, without the proper contrast to make it true criticism.
Which part of "Well thankfully you still can read them, instead of Thorton doing it for you in an animated cutscene which is at least something good. " is a blind insult?

Companions rushing in front of you to soak up a grenade YOU THROW isn't what I'd call good combat.
No, companions rushing in front of you to soak up a grenade you throw is a bad AI.
Any other arguments about how Fallout's combat sucks?

Gameplay is a bonus to the story, good gameplay is an even bigger bonus.
Again why aren't you reading a book or playing adventure games, spending your precious time on shooters which have bad gameplay instead?

Just I can stand excellent gameplay with a lack of story(Roguelikes, 80-90s platformers).
How can you play Fallouts and Arcanum? Their plots are terrible and non-existant?
Why do you spend time playing games then? There are no stories in games on par with good books.

The quest were decently written and nonlinear. The world design was also interesting. I'm not talking about the main overarching plot, I'm talking about the story, or should I say stories, overall.
Now now - you are talking about something not relating to story parts at all. Being able to complete quests in various ways with one affecting another somewhere is gameplay mechanics

FIRST 10 PAGES, LAST MONTH. Do those words mean anything to you. Of 250 posts the greater majority of them were in the GRPG or the GG forum. With GRPG taking it in a slight more majority. Only 17 going into Strategy. I repeat, me thinks you are lying.
Strategy forum isn't too active as you have noticed. Simply because it doesn't have circlejerks and isn't a toilet like this one - every topic is the real deal because we usually have discussions there. In GRP/GD/ it's isn't about quality, it's about watching ignorant morons cry, due to them being unable to post a single intelligent thought - can be pretty fun once in a week. Or having something reminiscent of a discussion like right here. Or just come here and take a piss out of boredom - it won't make a difference.

Also to the 1eyedking, Max Payne had terribly linear levels, but was mainly loved for decent gameplay and a good story. The addition of jumping doesn't make it less linear.
Decent gameplay? If not for its "decent" Matrix-meets-Woo gameplay it would've been a yet another TPS and no amount of pretty generic noir story (a bad-on-luck detective avenges his family against the big bad) would've saved it. Its "decent" action gameplay is way more dynamic and action-packed than that of every single modern shooter.

Monocause

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Monocause said:
But imagine if you could TALK to the monsters in Doom!
The sheeple are running out of arguments, it seems.

Why so soon?

AP's stealth system is limited and game design is also limited in numerous ways, one of which is that you can't jump. It doesn't break the game. Enabling jumping and designing the levels so that you could jump around them would enhance stealth and make it a better game, but so would a possibility to talk to the monsters in Doom.

Tell me, why only the stalwart next-gen bashers such as you and Skyway use arguments like "you can't jump" while other critics of the game don't, aiming their criticism at real issues? I see a pattern there. See, games always impose superficial limitations upon what you can do and can't do and it is pointless to criticise them for it unless it means a terrible mistake in design. Do I consider lack of jumping to be a terrible Obsidian mistake? No. I couldn't jump in Metal Gear Solid either and I found stealth portions of the game fun and the game would be really good in my opinion if it weren't for the awfully long cutscenes with silly dialogue. Never came to my mind to criticise MGS for not being able to jump.

You raise valid issues with stuff like the AI and such and it'd be better if you'd stick to it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
No it's a case of well written, well presented dialogue options full on stat and skill checks > primitive non-descriptive stances, which may as well hide all 3 of them leading to the same response. As in good work > laziness. I thought I made it clear enough.
They sort of lead to the same. Here follows a general example of how most convos seem to work in AP:
NPC: Question 1
T: Answer 1(dependent on actions, C&C, or predetermined)
NPC: Flavor comment on previous answer.
T: Dialogue stance!!!
NPC: Response to dialogue stance(Will differ 90% of the time, as far as I have checked)
NPC: Question 2
T: Dialogue stance!1!
and so on.

Personally, I think the dialogue stance system works(certainly better than ME's), but I understand why some people dislike it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Monocause said:
Tell me, why only the stalwart next-gen bashers such as you and Skyway use arguments like "you can't jump" while other critics of the game don't, aiming their criticism at real issues? I see a pattern there.
What you don't seem to see is that I don't bitch about jumping being the main problem. I bitch about the game restricting you in every possible way, so you will go only on the pre-defined railroad. In fact it's roll-a-die who focused on the "jumping isn't technically possible to make!", I was criticising linear corridor design as well.

I couldn't jump in Metal Gear Solid either and I found stealth portions of the game fun
Well then you have very very very low standards. MGS "stealth" is a joke compared to better stealth games.

StrangeCase

Educated

Shit dude, the writing/quests in those games is nothing special. Certainly nothing to suffer through a combat system for, if you really hate it. Torment probably has the best writing of any RPG (setting quirkiness gimmick aside), but if I really wanted to be a storytelling/writing snob, I'd just go rent a movie or read a book. Those mediums have been around a lot longer, and some do a much better job than even the best video games. Torment's better than many movies and books, no doubt, but there's no way it could compete with Hitchcock or Lovecraft.

Video games allow you to interact with the story in a way that's inherently satisfying, I think. That aspect is separate from the quality of the story/writing itself. A story with genuine artistic merit is that much more meaningful, but for gaming purposes, effective is often more than enough.

EDIT: Which is all a really, really roundabout way of saying that no RPG's are well-written enough to justify bad gameplay. Not every aspect of gameplay has to be perfect; but on the whole, if the gameplay isn't good, there's no good reason to play an RPG instead of read a good book.

Monocause

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Well then you have very very very low standards. MGS "stealth" is a joke compared to better stealth games.

Well, yes. I have lower standards for stealth in action games. Both MGS and AP have 'actiony' stealth and aren't really built around real stealth, contrary to what the AP devs said. Look at it this way: in both MGS and AP you could go guns blazing every time and succeed, in both games there are pure-action segments where stealth is not really applicable.
In games like Hitman or Thief? You could win one or two firefights or swordfights but being undetected is mandatory, *essential* if you want to finish the damn game.

That's why you'll notice I never really compare AP to stealth games, I'd rather compare it to games like ME or MGS - because it's much more similar to these and has much more in common with them. And I think AP beats both ME and MGS easily.

If a new Hitman installment would be similar to what AP is, sure I'd get butthurt. On the other hand, I've got lower standards for the 'action' segment in games like Thief and Hitman. Swordfight in Thief was quite clunky, just like firefights in the Hitman series but I don't criticise these games for it because usually if you got into a firefight or a swordfight it means you've screwed up.

1eyedking

Erudite
Monocause said:
1eyedking said:
Monocause said:
But imagine if you could TALK to the monsters in Doom!
The sheeple are running out of arguments, it seems.

Why so soon?

AP's stealth system is limited and game design is also limited in numerous ways, one of which is that you can't jump. It doesn't break the game. Enabling jumping and designing the levels so that you could jump around them would enhance stealth and make it a better game, but so would a possibility to talk to the monsters in Doom.
Did I even read this?

I'm asking for the game to have elements that the stalwart examples of the genre have (and I'm actually being generous with SC3 here), and you're saying it's akin to making monsters in a deathmatch FPS talk?

I'm gonna take a moment and laugh at this one, because this is as stupid as the Codex gets! :lol:

Tell me, why only the stalwart next-gen bashers such as you and Skyway use arguments like "you can't jump" while other critics of the game don't, aiming their criticism at real issues? I see a pattern there. See, games always impose superficial limitations upon what you can do and can't do and it is pointless to criticise them for it unless it means a terrible mistake in design.
If AP were an all-out isometric-perspective RPG with an intense focus on a highly numerical approach to sneaking I would forgive the lack of jumping. At this point, jumping would make the game go from "good" to "downright awesome".

A shame that AP is none of that, so no. It's a real issue.

Do I consider lack of jumping to be a terrible Obsidian mistake? No. I couldn't jump in Metal Gear Solid either and I found stealth portions of the game fun and the game would be really good in my opinion if it weren't for the awfully long cutscenes with silly dialogue. Never came to my mind to criticise MGS for not being able to jump.

MGS is a good stealth game? It's fucking packman with a bandana, FFS. No lighting, no surface-baised noice, no rope arrows, etc.

Sorry to say this mate, but you've got some pretty shitty standards.

You raise valid issues with stuff like the AI and such and it'd be better if you'd stick to it.
Oh, there's plenty more room for critique, but people here have to settle their minds on whether this game should be judged on a "RPG with action/stealth elements" standard or a "action/stealth with RPG elements" standard. What I see is that they're picking neither because guess what? It sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick at both.

Suchy

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
roll-a-die said:

Wait, what?
It has invisibility?

For fuck's sake...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Suchy said:
Clockwork Knight said:
roll-a-die said:

Wait, what?
It has invisibility?

For fuck's sake...

This and many other magic spells.

Felix

Arcane
They should use nanomachines as an excuse, ffs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom