Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol vs Fallout: New Vegas (Avellone vs Sawyer)

Alpha Protocol or Fallout: New Vegas?

• Total voters

DramaticPopcorn

I thought Honest Hearts was good but Dead Money was bad enough to get me to stop playing FNV.
:hmmm:

AMG

Arbiter
I thought Honest Hearts was good but Dead Money was bad enough to get me to stop playing FNV.
For me it was the opposite:M. I think Dead Money is the best NV has to offer while Honest Hearts is probably the worst.

Seaking4

Learned
For me it was the opposite:M. I think Dead Money is the best NV has to offer while Honest Hearts is probably the worst.

We'll I've only played two of them but Dead Money keeps crashing and I can't even finish the thing. Wasn't too crazy about what it had to offer up to that point though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
saw someone say that Knights of the Old Republic games were made purposefully easy so that the game could target a younger audience. Did anyone (at Bioware or Obsidian) ever come out and say that?

Think more console than age. Also, Kotor really isn't suited for demanding tactical gameplay given its camera and controls (no move command while paused, basic companion AI that reassigns orders when you switch to someone else, and so on). Cinematic style over substance.

Wasn't AP Mitsoda's design/idea?

Chris Parker came up with the idea of an espionage RPG, Brian came up with the dialogue system and was the original creative lead for two iterations.

Deleted member 7219

Even then the person in charge of systems was Kevin Saunders. Who added level scaling. Thanks Kevin.

I don't remember level scaling in KOTOR2. Some of the toughest battles for me were on Telos, right near the start of the game, when you crash land on the battle and have to steal a shuttle to take to Atris' academy.

The easiest fights were at the end of the game (Onderon if you leave it until last, as I always do - and the Sith Academy on Malachor V), you can just walk through those spamming nothing but Force Storm (and use your lightsaber on single targets).

Viata

Arcane
That's like your girlfriend asking you to decide which movie to watch: Twilight or 50 shades. No matter what you choose, you are still not happy with your decision.
I like the writting in AP, but the gameplay was quite boring. It's really not my cup of tea. As for FNV, I hate the idea of how I can do all endings if I just reload the part before "killing House". It's a ok game, better than AP at least. Not that mean anything, though.

laclongquan

Arcane
Now that thinking back, Dead Money is the best DLC in FNV's arsenal. But not because of story and atmostphere (fuck atmostphere). Because the added pressure to tight resource. You always are conscious of how much ammo you have left.

Honest Heart has the same approach but ruined by shops. You have tight ammo purse for what weapon you carry over, not in-DLC ones.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Chris Parker came up with the idea of an espionage RPG, Brian came up with the dialogue system and was the original creative lead for two iterations.

OK thanks. I know Mitsoda did the dialogue thing, I wasn't aware he was also the original creative lead on this.

roshan

Arcane
Even then the person in charge of systems was Kevin Saunders. Who added level scaling. Thanks Kevin.

K2 has some terrible combat but lots of that was inherited by K1. Avellone sure as hell didn't fix it though. Obsidian just made the game easier and added instawin buttons after you deal with the council. I saw someone say that Knights of the Old Republic games were made purposefully easy so that the game could target a younger audience. Did anyone (at Bioware or Obsidian) ever come out and say that?

Jesus Christ. Are you saying that Obsidian actually took a modern Bioware game and dumbed it down? And this is a developer people entrusted with millions of dollars to make an IE sequel.....

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Although I LIKE ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH Ι Ι have to admit that NV was definitely a better game overall,apart from the dialogues/c&c everything else in AP ranged from mediocre to shit

Truth. Alpha Brotocol is absolute garbage. Avellone should stick to what he is good at, i.e not real time action RPGs but iso RPGs.

New Vegas, whilst far from perfect, is awesome. Shame about some popamole elements but as a whole they can easily be overlooked.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Avellone had very little to do with AP's gameplay, that was Sega/Parker/MacLean/misc others.

KOTOR2 is really Obsidian's only true "Avellone game". But you can also count the FO:NV DLCs if you want.

Missed this. My bad for doubting you, Sir Avellone.
He is credited as lead designer but I guess Roguey and Infinitron would know.

i love both games but ive only played AP once and NV several times because

AP has better NPCs; specifically steven heck but NV for me has more oomph

plus the whole helicopter gunship nightmare that is APs final act... jesus; i turned it off when i got to that :killitwithfire:

Spockrock

Augur
motherfucker, I can't believe people are actually saying New Vegas is a bad game. you're either sick or trolling for the sake of trolling, no way a sane person who enjoys old Black Isle shit would ever call New Vegas bad. just not in the cards. it's not brilliant, but it's only held back by its engine

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Black Isle, Looking Glass and Bethesda design styled-hybrid, merged & directed by Obsidian, which got rid of most of the major flaws from each style (except Looking Glass, they were near perfect to begin with :obviously:).

Seaking4

Learned
Jesus Christ. Are you saying that Obsidian actually took a modern Bioware game and dumbed it down? And this is a developer people entrusted with millions of dollars to make an IE sequel.....

I wouldn't say they dumbed it down. It was very much the same system except with more feats and powers. It just became easier because of the new powers and removing the level cap.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
motherfucker, I can't believe people are actually saying New Vegas is a bad game.

The RPG elements, characters and story in New Vegas are excellent. In fact, you won't find this excellence of that caliber in other "RPG" labeled games. Period.

Then there is that engine they put this in.....

racofer

Thread Incliner
Another quote of wisdom this night on Codexia:

The RPG elements, characters and story in New Vegas are excellent. In fact, you won't find this excellence of that caliber in other "RPG" labeled games. Period.

Then there is that engine they put this in.....

Now watch:

The RPG elements, characters and story in Obsidian games are excellent. In fact, you won't find this excellence of that caliber in other "RPG" labeled games. Period.

Then there are those engines they put these in.....

lKBi8UG.gif

Just play Dead Money.
Main story in NV has... problems, HH is way too short, OWB is nice for WACKY 50's sci-fi experience and LR is :popamole:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
NV is the distinctly better game. Avellone is certainly best suited as a narrative lead as opposed to a designer. MotB is by far my favorite Obsidian project but unfortunately the leads on that project are now with inxile.

Stelcio

Savant
its the only instance I ever seen were you can spend points to make it easier JUST for the game to make it harder because progression
Yeah, I never seen any game doing this. Things getting harder the further you progress? Ridiculous!

fanta

Arcane
Everyone who voted for AP should take a long, hard look at himself. Don't let Roguey's unsightliness sway your judgement.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
New Vegas, of course. AP is terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom