Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amazon ships an MMORPG - New World

Late Bloomer

Scholar
They are revamping the new player experience. You will be able to find and choose your weapons very early on instead of waiting for them to drop. Also they are streamlining the quests so there is less running around. Maybe in two years time it will be an ARPG with paid boosts to max level.

Here is an article and quote

https://www.mmorpg.com/previews/new...ds-brimstone-sands-zone-in-october-2000125981

One major way they are doing this is addressing the need to continue to rush towards the Hermit’s Hut in Windsward at the completion of every major story beat in that initial 1-25 level grind. Now, Yonas is going to be more mobile, getting out and stretching his legs a bit to help reduce the amount of back and forth players have to do. The main story quests are also going to be consolidated in Everfall, making it easier to reach than the borderlands of Windsward and Monarch’s Bluffs.

Here is cuck playing on the PTR

Codex Year of the Donut
main problem with the game was that it had almost zero content and was essentially an unfinished prototype
lots of major and minor problems too

Late Bloomer

Scholar
main problem with the game was that it had almost zero content and was essentially an unfinished prototype

I know thats why I was wondering why casualize it when that wasnt the problem.

Because the people who send in "feedback" complain. Everyone wants MMO's to eventualy be about having a flying mount dropping in from quest point A to B and be done with it. Do a not so hard dungeon/raid with people you cant stand, log out and choose your loot at the end of the week from a magic loot container. Exploration, challenge, immersion are not a part of current gamers vocabulary. Being commited to a game, having a sense of belonging in the world are things of the past.

Caim

Arcane
Because the people who send in "feedback" complain. Everyone wants MMO's to eventualy be about having a flying mount dropping in from quest point A to B and be done with it. Do a not so hard dungeon/raid with people you cant stand, log out and choose your loot at the end of the week from a magic loot container. Exploration, challenge, immersion are not a part of current gamers vocabulary. Being commited to a game, having a sense of belonging in the world are things of the past.
Fun has been optimized out of MMOs a long time ago. The moment something new and exciting comes out it's heralded as the great return to form, a world of adventure, discovery and companionship, only for the moment hard numbers become accessible the neckbeards of the world unite and crunch the numbers like motherfuckers to find the optimal path to max level, the best gear and most effective way to play all classes and roles. Efficiency is the name of the game, and spending the least amount of time on getting the most rewards is what people will strife for. They won't talk in game: some will even get mad at you if you try to talk. The moment you engage with other players to attain a common goal you are expected to perform at 100% efficiency, and the moment you fail to perform you will be called names and be reported on accusations of being AFK and mooching off of players who do play the game. And if you're unlucky like with WoW, you will get banned for a short bit. People say that they want to play MMOs like they did back in the day, but it's not what they do. Hell, even Old School RuneScape which sells itself on being an old-school game has players use third party clients with plugins to optimize as much challenge out of the game, ranging from help on bosses in the form of "stand here to not get your shit slapped" to exactly showing where to click to do things. And the moment the OSRS developers were to ban such plugins the player base would be in an uproar. It's because players no longer use MMOs as social vehicles or a really pretty chat room, it's because they want to see numbers get bigger for that dopamine hit. MMOs lost their novelty, and the players' passion went with it.

So how to solve this? You could try and play whack-a-mole with the neckbeards who try to optimize the fun out of your game with DMCA strikes against websites, but that won't go over well. Instead, I'd play the game. Make a game that feels like an MMO, but optimize the least optimal part out of the game: other people, and replace them with bots. Need a dungeon group? Bots perform better than real players and you'll breeze through them. Raids? Bots let you pick what you want from the loot pile. They won't talk to you, they won't bother you, they just exist to make the game seem busy. The first company to make such a game could make a frightening amount of money: the Massive Singleplayer Offline Role Playing Game.

Gerrard

Arcane
Considering that other people are universally the worst part of any online game, you might be onto something.

Codex Year of the Donut
So how to solve this? You could try and play whack-a-mole with the neckbeards who try to optimize the fun out of your game with DMCA strikes against websites, but that won't go over well. Instead, I'd play the game. Make a game that feels like an MMO, but optimize the least optimal part out of the game: other people, and replace them with bots. Need a dungeon group? Bots perform better than real players and you'll breeze through them. Raids? Bots let you pick what you want from the loot pile. They won't talk to you, they won't bother you, they just exist to make the game seem busy. The first company to make such a game could make a frightening amount of money: the Massive Singleplayer Offline Role Playing Game.
probably only 15-20 years away until we get games like this except instead of lifeless bots you can actually interact with them, they remember who you are, form relationships with others, etc.,

If you disagree, give something like koboldAI or similar 'storytelling' software a try. Yes, it's primitive, but the basis for it is already there.

Caim

Arcane
probably only 15-20 years away until we get games like this except instead of lifeless bots you can actually interact with them, they remember who you are, form relationships with others, etc.,

If you disagree, give something like koboldAI or similar 'storytelling' software a try. Yes, it's primitive, but the basis for it is already there.
If you want basic responses like a hello followed by them logging out, bots showing up in the spot you're grinding and telling you to hop servers or whenever you try to interact with one they call you a racial slur, that's already possible. But if you look at what storystelling software like that can do... yeah, we've almost reached the peak of what our eyes can see graphics-wise, so that the rest of computational power can go to the AI.

Fun has been optimized out of MMOs a long time ago. The moment something new and exciting comes out it's heralded as the great return to form, a world of adventure, discovery and companionship, only for the moment hard numbers become accessible the neckbeards of the world unite and crunch the numbers like motherfuckers to find the optimal path to max level, the best gear and most effective way to play all classes and roles. Efficiency is the name of the game, and spending the least amount of time on getting the most rewards is what people will strife for. They won't talk in game: some will even get mad at you if you try to talk. The moment you engage with other players to attain a common goal you are expected to perform at 100% efficiency, and the moment you fail to perform you will be called names and be reported on accusations of being AFK and mooching off of players who do play the game. And if you're unlucky like with WoW, you will get banned for a short bit. People say that they want to play MMOs like they did back in the day, but it's not what they do. Hell, even Old School RuneScape which sells itself on being an old-school game has players use third party clients with plugins to optimize as much challenge out of the game, ranging from help on bosses in the form of "stand here to not get your shit slapped" to exactly showing where to click to do things. And the moment the OSRS developers were to ban such plugins the player base would be in an uproar. It's because players no longer use MMOs as social vehicles or a really pretty chat room, it's because they want to see numbers get bigger for that dopamine hit. MMOs lost their novelty, and the players' passion went with it.

Wait are you telling me people try to like... win at games? The horror...

If your game is only good when all the information is unknown, it's actually not good. Also MMOs were never good.

ADL

Prophet
1 year anniversary stream summary beyond Brimstone Sands coming in October
  • Fresh Start servers
  • Reworked 1-60 experience in development
  • Mounts in the design phase of development
  • More focus on solo-friendly endgame content
  • 10-20 player "as hard as wars" PvE raid content
  • New instanced PvP modes
  • Gear loadouts
  • New weapons (pistols, dagger, 1H mace, 2H mace, celestial gauntlet have been datamined)
  • Higher level cap or more horizontal progression
  • More in-game cinematics during the MSQ. You can see some of these during the level 1-25 level overhaul coming in Brimstone Sands

You have just invented idle games.
screen-0.jpg

Caim

Arcane
Nah, the idle games can be part of the main game, something you put resources into and get stuff out of. Or if they're ill-designed, you get the Garrison from Warlords of Draenor where you can get endgame level gear by waiting and being lucky.

Codex Year of the Donut
A while back EQ2 added, and EQ copied + improved, an 'idle' game where you collect followers from around the world, trading, doing quests etc., and send them on various tasks. Each one has various stats, strengths, weaknesses and so forth.
Actually was neat.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
A while back EQ2 added, and EQ copied + improved, an 'idle' game where you collect followers from around the world, trading, doing quests etc., and send them on various tasks. Each one has various stats, strengths, weaknesses and so forth.
Actually was neat.

I still play EQ2 on occasion. I actually liked their take on idle side game. Had some nice flavor text for their quests than has lore tidbits. I remember the followers not stacking in the bags though. I just tossed them to my other character. Pretty cool seeing it mentioned. I quite enjoy EQ2.

Concerning New World. I would like to give it another go in October. Might as well.

Codex Year of the Donut
EQ2 is fun, but the stat scaling + ability bloat gets insane at higher levels and it still runs poorly years later.
Has a bunch of good systems though. Mercenaries, leaping mounts, its entire crafting system, and so forth. Probably mostly due to it being essentially the last MMO before WoW ruined the creativity of MMO devs.

Still gets annual expansion updates like EQ, which makes other MMOs that barely put out any content look terrible in comparison.

Also, I think it was the first MMO that had player housing as we'd recognize in many MMOs today(e.g., ESO), and a surprisingly very good implementation of it at that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
They eventually built the layout editor mod/program into the game itself (albeit a light version of it) to expand on how to decorate. The old system is still in place for a more simplified decorating. Hmm do we even have an Everquest 2 thread?

ChronoGuru

Literate
I really, really went hard at this game at launch. But I increasingly grow disappointed at how the development focus seems to be on instanced content.

This game's strength lies in the open world it has created.

Has anyone tried out the new desert area? Any signs of them attempting to strengthen that area?

I don't get excited by "new expedition!" news patch notes. I wish they had public dungeons, world bosses, dynamic events.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom