Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Amiga buying recommendation

Dr. West

Scholar
Holy hell do I NEED a flickerfixer? Shits expensive!

EDIT: composite output RGB via SCART adapter should be enough, although it's probably not the best solution quality-wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvv5BD_jOk AHHH WHAT'S THIS MESS AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT CHAOS ENGINE BOX ON THAT FUCKING PILE. Need to cry now.

Fuck SCART, I'll roll my own S-VIDEO output

if you want to squeeze most from an amiga, you need a 4000/040. 060 is faster but has more compatibility issues.
if you want max compatibility, you need to buy also a 500 with both kickstarts 1.2 and 1.3, or a 2000 with same kickstarts for more horsepower*, because disabling cache and downgrading chipset won't always work, there will always be that game or two which refuses to work.

*: thinking about it... an a2000 with 1.2 ks shouldn't exist iirc.

Dr. West

Scholar
MadMaxHellfire: thanks for the competent response, but I'm hell-bent on an A1200 now. Gotta keep focused. It was also my dream machine before switching to PC. And from what I've seen, all important titles (to me) from back then seem to have a WHDLoad patch. Plus some AGA stuff I could not play. Maybe I'll set up a "power" system later. From what I've read so far, I need extra RAM for WHDLoad and no accelerator, correct? Found this, hope it doesn't shoot through the roof. Bet it will. ;)

Yeah, thanks for the help @ all. Less confusion on my side now, too. :)

EDIT: Amibay seems to have much more reasonable offers.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm still confused as fuck. The path to an open for-sale page featuring a 4000 CPU of some description (as in the complete box) is not at all clear.

Oh well, I'll just put some Effort™ into it next weekend.

Dr. West

Scholar
Nostalgia guys, I just ... can't get an A4000. It reminds me too much of desktop PCs. Also: the prices are astronomical and this is by far not the only system I'm planning to get.

Ordered an Arduino Duo with USB host shield and an USB Hub. Can't wait to fool around with it.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Also, if we speaking about A1200 using with the modern equipment, how about Indivision AGA MK2 (http://www.icomp.de/home/indexe.htm). Because modern LCD's don't mix really well with the old analog scart/svideo/RGB inputs. Users reviews of this apparatus are really... enthusiastic. It is a pricey thingy, but... (real hardware) retro is a pricey hobby after all.

Dr. West

Scholar
Will see ... 149,90€ is affordable. This also sounds interesting:

The NEW PAL/NTSC RGB adapter from www.amigamaniac.com will give you a rock solid, crystal clear S-Video picture from your Amiga. It plugs into any Amiga with a video port (except for the CD32 which doesn't have a video port but has S-Video built in). It has a switch on it to select if NTSC or PAL, so it's compatible with any Amiga from around the world!

Say goodbye to dot crawl, colour rolling, ghosting and blurry pixels!

I'ts also kinda what I had planned. Don't know if the adapter does any processing to the signal. Wanted to try to plug it into my Denon using the S-VIDEO input and see what it makes of it.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Well, it is much cheaper, but it is not a flickerfixer (so you can't connect your Amiga to the DVI port directly). With s-video option, quality of image is rather depending on internal signal processing/conversion of your monitor or TV, than an interface alone. (Also, RBG to S-video, is a sort of signal downgrade, but not that much, many (but not all) TV sets internally converts RGB to the s-video, so feeding them with the s-video, gives a better image quality, than feeding them with RGB). Indivision is a different beast, that gives you a best possible image quality on the modern monitors, feeding them with the digital, "pure" signal.).

Dr. West

Scholar
Yeah, I hope this solution is good enough (for what it is). I also don't need a DVI connection, the goal is to connect to a projector via the Denon (which will switch between devices).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Hahaha. I sees some traditional marks of use

165630045_27dcea0f-e051-4e19-b2b4-b262b483293a.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That does like a human bite mark, canines and all, but it's too small for an adult (it's not even as wide as one of those buttons) and I don't think a toddler could create such a clean and deep mark in ruggedized plastic.

Pet rhesus monkey? Or thrown against the wall, and just a coincidence?

Most likely, it had some shit piled on top of it in storage.

CorpseZeb

Learned
... or, just, these marks can be from soldering (re-, or installing a new ones) microswitches... A fire button, probably.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
... or, just, these marks can be from soldering (re-, or installing a new ones) microswitches... A fire button, probably.

Yeah, I was thinking from the smoothness that it could be melting, too. I know how to solder and have done quite a bit of it....

This doesn't matter at all.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Most probably caused by raging after failing for the 100th time in some sadistic French game (there are more marks on the other side as well).

Mortmal

Arcane
Everything is pretty much covered already, id say dont forget the CRT monitor too, LCD wont work really good with it although you can plug the amiga on pretty much everything. For true nostalgia feelings get a 1084s monitor, mine is still working:

Commodore_1084S-P_ebay.de.jpg

Flanged

Scholar
Reminds me I've got an old A1200 and games in the cupboard. Bet it still works too.

One day soon I must give it life again.

Stunt Car Racer and Robocop 2 are stuck in my head from that era, though they weren't the best games out by any means.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
... or, just, these marks can be from soldering
Definitely solder marks. When you put soldering iron directly on the tabe without any stand, sometimes it turns around and wreaks havoc.

I have a question for you, Codex.
My pal recently got interest in Amiga and started buying various parts over eBay for assembling.
Amigas were completely non-existant here, so he has a two very simple questions.

1) Can you use standard 5.25" or 3.5" FDD with Amiga or you need set jumpers/solder new terminator resistors like in old times of tinkering with ZX-Spectrums?

2) Sometimes accelerators for Amiga 2000 are sold.
a2620
http://i44.tinypic.com/20f21au.jpg
GVP G-Force 030 Impact Series II 40MHz accelerator w/ SCSI & RAM
http://i39.tinypic.com/s6r788.jpg

Can you use them with A3000 and A4000? And explain why if it's non possible. Apparently, they completely replace CPU, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom