Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Luzur

Good Sir
piydek said:
Luzur said:
got hold of Alien Breed, Frak 64 and Hunchback II yesterday at a carsale.

Wow. :drool: . Especially Alien Breed, that was one of my favourite games back in the day...along with "The horror continues" and "Tower assault". Finished them all except tower assault.

Are the floppies fully functional, without read-errors? Do you have some photos of the boxes?

not tested them yet, been working , but a photo has been provided of the find, along with the calculator i bought the same day.

hwgxuv.jpg

piydek

Cipher
Thanks for that photo Luzur, that's really nice. I really like the box for AB.

I have a question i might ask here, since this crowd could know well what i'm after: are there any arcade games, side-scrolling 2D ones, like Giana sisters or Superfrog or James Pond or whatever that came out for PC recently and are OK?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM NOT THREAD NECOMRONAMNCING I SWEAR BROS

THANKS FOR THE DAMAGE RECOMMENDATION I AM TOTALLY FUCKING UP PEOPLE THAT GFAME IS FUN ALTHOUGH IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO GFIGURE OUT THE SETTINGS AND GET THE ROMS AND SHIT

BROS AMIGA EMULATION IS A PAIN IN MY BALLS NEVER TRIED IOT BEFORE

CANNON FODDER LOOKS OKAY I MIGHT TRY THAT ALSO THERE IS A PORT OF PHANTASIE 3 I MIGHT JUST TRY THAT

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
BLOBERT said:
BROS AMIGA EMULATION IS A PAIN IN MY BALLS NEVER TRIED IOT BEFORE

CANNON FODDER LOOKS OKAY I MIGHT TRY THAT ALSO THERE IS A PORT OF PHANTASIE 3 I MIGHT JUST TRY THAT

UAE's not too bad once you get the hang of it blob. It's really no more complicated than dosbox. You can also try the AmigaForever kit if you want to go the easy way - costs about 20 bucks I think. It's actually the only leagle way you can get all the kickstarts these days.

And the Cannon Fodder's (all of them) are fucking awesome!!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
THANKS BRO IT JUST TOOK ME A WHILE TO FIGURE OUT THE SETTINGS FOR DAMAGE BUT I GOT SOME FRONT END DEAL NOW AND I GOT UAE GOING GOOD

Jive One

Educated
For UG members, there appears to be a few options for Amiga emulation. There's Cloanto Amiga Forever 6.0, Amiga Forever Plus 2009, and Amiga Forever version 4. Bearing in mind I have no clue what I'm doing and want the easiest method to play Amiga games, which of these should I select?

Are these basically install and play type deals? There are so many treasures(Ambermoon!) that I want to try but as Blobert said, emulation is daunting.

spekkio

Arcane
I would recommend only collections with games installed on HDs (HD Images), and tested. If it's collection of Floppy Images or some other shit you can as well download and set up everything yourself.

BTW those collections you mentioned are only ~500 MB big each, you jew!

zeitgeist

Magister
I don't think any computer-related phenomenon ever brought together as much creativity and skill as the Amiga demo scene did - from demos, cracktros, intros and such, to ANSI/ascii art, tracker music and so on. Truly amazing times.

Jive One said:
For UG members, there appears to be a few options for Amiga emulation. There's Cloanto Amiga Forever 6.0, Amiga Forever Plus 2009, and Amiga Forever version 4. Bearing in mind I have no clue what I'm doing and want the easiest method to play Amiga games, which of these should I select?

Are these basically install and play type deals? There are so many treasures(Ambermoon!) that I want to try but as Blobert said, emulation is daunting.

The only reason to buy that software is if you want a way to copy ROM's to real Amiga disks and play them on a real Amiga. UAE is seriously the way to go, and is part of the package you would be paying for anyway.

http://www.justadventure.com/articles/Amiga/Amiga1.shtm

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Emulation isn't really that hard. Download some basic configurations to start with and if they don't work, google up the game. Usual causes are rather few in the end.

The only problems I have nowadays are corrupt disk images (usually coming from corrupt disks). Which is a real PITA 'cuz most of the disks from my amiga days are completely dead now due to poor storage.

Jive One

Educated
Thanks for all the emulation tips and links. Hopefully I can get it up and running this afternoon and start selecting some titles to start off with.

Luzur

Good Sir
Haba said:
Emulation isn't really that hard. Download some basic configurations to start with and if they don't work, google up the game. Usual causes are rather few in the end.

The only problems I have nowadays are corrupt disk images (usually coming from corrupt disks). Which is a real PITA 'cuz most of the disks from my amiga days are completely dead now due to poor storage.

as long as it isnt home made stuff, all that you had on those disks can be found on the net, even demos.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Be a kool codexer and feel disgust for everything.

Jive One said:
Thanks for all the emulation tips and links. Hopefully I can get it up and running this afternoon and start selecting some titles to start off with.

Don't forget to google a kickstart rom....

The instructions on getting it running are all in the link I provided. Check out Lemon Amiga for plenty of links to different games.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE TOUGHEST THING FOR ME WAS FINDING WHICH KICKSTART PROCESSSOR ETC TO USE FOR A GAME I MEAN A FEW WORK GOOD ON JUST ANY SETTINGS BUT DAMAGE NEEDED SOME FUCKED UP STUFF

Luzur

Good Sir
....i am quite aware of that, thank you very much good sir.

i meant that a computer will never get the same kind of following that C64 and Amiga got, the guys that hacked demos on C64's and Amigas are grown now, and the youth of today isnt exactly the hacker types that know DOS commands/pokes and peeks/CP/M crunching codes by heart.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM SO MAD MY DAMAGE GAMES ALWAYS CRASH AFER I GET AROUND THE 700 KILL MARK AND GO TO A NEW AREA I AM SO PISSED

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom