Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga Dungeoneering Collection

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Scrooge , go into the option menu and fiddle with the graphic options. Resolution, scaling, filters whatever. Also fiddle with the sound, you probably need to select the correct sound device/driver.

IIRC you hit F12 for the options.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Scrooge , go into the option menu and fiddle with the graphic options. Resolution, scaling, filters whatever. Also fiddle with the sound, you probably need to select the correct sound device/driver.

IIRC you hit F12 for the options.

OMG I think I found it! I played around with the settings and when I disabled triple buffering it suddenly worked! I'll test it with another game now, oh that would be so cool :D

Thanks for that advice, no idea why I didn't think about this myself :love:

/e:

YAY it really works!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
WinUAE UI is always a pain in the ass. I've used the key-rebinding settings 100 times and they still drive me crazy.

rezaf

Cipher
Hmm.
My antivirus went crazy over the executables. Didn't anyone else have this problem?
_____
rezaf

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hmm.
My antivirus went crazy over the executables. Didn't anyone else have this problem?
_____
rezaf
Yeah it's more or less expected, many antivirus raise a flag because of the way these winuae exes work. Don't worry about it and add them to your exclusions.

WaltC333

Novice
It's Christmas...! I have to take some time off from being "The Superior One" to humbly thank thee for thine hard work...! Thank you K! Great friggin' collection...! I've been using WinUAE for years & lately even Cloanto's Amiga Forever packages...and some of the games you've repacked I have been looking for since the dawn of time when the Great Dragon Commodorasis was thrown down! THank you, my friend! I lived, breathed and ate nothing but Amigas for 8 years in the late '80's/early 90's....and have some powerful memories of the time--heck, I think I owned at least one of every Amiga made except the A1000 (the first one, oddly enough!) Thanks again--great job!

WaltC333

Novice
Yeh it's really one of the most complicated emulators I tried so far. Console emulators are so much easier to use... :oops:

WinUAE is actually extremely easy to use--99% of Amiga games run perfectly with A500 Kickstart and the bog-standard, default WinUAE settings...People vastly overcomplicate WinUAE because it is *theoretically* so powerful and has so much fun stuff to experiment with..! Really, most of it isn't needed to run the great bulk of Amiga games out there--many of the A4000/A3000 settings not only aren't required, they can seriously affect the compatability--as pairing the wrong Kickstart with a game, etc. Great stuff, though--GOG sells DOS games with emulators--Mac games with DOS emulators--so why not Amiga games with an emulator...? How can you have a "Good Old Games" site specializing in Retro without offering Amiga titles? They're missing an opportunity.

WaltC333

Novice
I recently got into Amiga emulation and I wonder about version of games that are better (either graphics, sounds or some gameplay features) on Amiga than on DOS. I read that the Gold Box games are part of this category. Is it true?

Some of them. Pool of Radiance most obviously. DKK too, but it always crashed on me. One or two more pre-VGA ones, but not all, some look just like on PC. Like, Champions is hi-color but Curse looks like EGA, or the other way around, beats me.

Basically, the older the game, the more chances it looks better on Amiga. With VGA PC is fine enough. With games of 1990 and before, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. Heck, prehistoric stuff like Wizard Crown looks better on the fucking Atari than on PC. Of those I have tried, Dragon Wars looks better on Amiga, Legend of Faerghail does. Wizardry 6 surprisingly doesn't, but hey, these cheapskates stuck to vector dungeons all the way to 1988.

Just go to Mobygames and browse the screenshots, in most cases you can see both PC and Amiga screens and compare for yourself.

During the Hercules/monochrome/CGA PC days, you couldn't even find a game box that didn't say on the back "Screenshots shown are from the Commodore Amiga game version. Others may vary." Heh...;) There was no "may" about it--the "others" did vary and a great deal, too. The Amiga had graphics modes that could display 4.096 colors on-screen simultaneously at a time when the majority of PCs were stuck in CGA or struggling to get into 16-color EGA or low-res VGA modes (although that Amiga mode was rarely used for games, to be fair.) It really wasn't until the early 90's with the introduction and adoption of SVGA that the Amiga's graphics began to get a bit long in the tooth--Commodore countered with AGA but it was too little, too late, unfortunately. Even then it was quite something to see an Amiga preemptively multitask when DOS & Windows 3.1 programs on Intel hardware came to a screeching halt when the IDE hard drive began to seek...! Basically, the Amiga was a good decade or so ahead of Intel x86/Windows at the time--but C= mismanaged the Amiga into oblivion. It's still painful to talk about it. (Really.) But there are lots of great things today...so I think all in all things have turned out well! Simply put, there's never been a better time to build yourself a new PC than right now...;)

WaltC333

Novice
I recently got into Amiga emulation and I wonder about version of games that are better (either graphics, sounds or some gameplay features) on Amiga than on DOS.

Hired Guns has waaay better graphics and sound on Amiga. AFAIK, music in DOS version was done through MIDI, while Amiga version has very cool tracker music and ambient.

Starflight Amiga was by far the best version of that game--included a "modern" savegame manager and a mouse interface that actually worked well...;) Much better music, etc. Have to run it to really appreciate how poor the x86 original version looked and played comparatively.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Starflight is perhaps the game I've played with most noticeable difference between DOS and Amiga versions.

WaltC333

Novice
Yeah, Starflight is perhaps the game I've played with most noticeable difference between DOS and Amiga versions.

I played both the Bard's Tale and Starflt on the PC first (I owned a Tandy 1000 back in '86, IIRC), and then looked at them both a couple of years later when they hit the Amiga--and both of them were dramatically better once farmed to the Amiga. The Bard's Tale I remember most for its much better sound & music tracks...whereas my Tandy 1000 (although they could have used the Tandy's custom "3-voice sound," few developers did) was reduced to the "whistling speaker beep" as I used to call it...;) But, I played all the way through both those games on the Tandy 1k, before I played them through on the Amiga. Always thought it was such a pity they weren't originally introduced on the Amiga--they were so much better, I thought.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The audiovisuals were fantastic on the Amiga version of Bard's Tale. It was in fact the very first game I bought for my Amiga. I was blown away by the graphics and the awesome monks' chanting.
EA did a good job on converting games to the Amiga, better than SSI did, for example.

WaltC333

Novice
Damnit, this was supposed to be in a thread about emulation barrier and inability to sell Amiga games. :lol:

That's the weird thing...it shouldn't be any more difficult for Gog to sell Amiga titles with the emulators--very much like what K has done here...! I can't think of what the problem for GOG might be unless it's a question of IP rights...while many of these games were Amiga originals, a good number of them were ports to the Amiga from MS-DOS versions, done by development houses different from the original developers, so perhaps that's where the problems lie. Still, CDPR has done a good job of untying some labyrinthine entanglements to secure the distribution rights for many older DOS titles (for Dosbox and Mac emulators), so they should be able to do it for the Amiga games, too. The emulators are certainly up to the task, imo.

WaltC333

Novice
The audiovisuals were fantastic on the Amiga version of Bard's Tale. It was in fact the very first game I bought for my Amiga. I was blown away by the graphics and the awesome monks' chanting.
EA did a good job on converting games to the Amiga, better than SSI did, for example.

A kindred spirit...;) Yes, at one time EA was big on the Amiga...! Takes me back...

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Reading recent posts in this thread, I had to listen to some Shadow of the Beast right away.
Amiga music has unique charm to it. I feel like Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos carried a part of its spirit for a couple of years after the platform's demise, but there's nothing like it in games anymore.
And I didn't have an Amiga back then, so it's clearly not just nostalgia glasses headphones.

Cromwell

Arcane
I looked into the config menu of the emulator but I have no idea what to do with all these configurations, my computer skill level is too low I fear. Also what's weird is when I switch out of the config menu game and sound run normal for like 1 second, then the yellow number on the far left side on the bottom goes up and slow-mo sets in again.

Maybe someone has an idea from this info ^^

Did you also get rid of the numbers bottom right? cant seem to find how to disable that. Also I got an "please insert dh3 in any drive" error when trying to start amberstar, whats this about?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I looked into the config menu of the emulator but I have no idea what to do with all these configurations, my computer skill level is too low I fear. Also what's weird is when I switch out of the config menu game and sound run normal for like 1 second, then the yellow number on the far left side on the bottom goes up and slow-mo sets in again.

Did you also get rid of the numbers bottom right? cant seem to find how to disable that. Also I got an "please insert dh3 in any drive" error when trying to start amberstar, whats this about?

no, the numbers stayed :? also no idea about the amberstar issue, sorry

Cromwell

Arcane

no, the numbers stayed :? also no idea about the amberstar issue, sorry

f12 > misc > native onscreen display should take care of the numbers. I wish I knew more about amiga emulation and found a way to play both in german

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom