Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Amiga Dungeoneering Collection

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Kaucukovnik, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Kaucukovnik Cipher

Kaucukovnik
    [​IMG]

Over 60 games for now, more games will be eventually added. With manuals, maps, box scans and whatever else. This is what a directory with the entire current collection looks like:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (mediafire keeps resizing the images, the icons actually look beter)

It's very much in the style of my AoW stuff, but a lot bigger.

Here is the documentation: ADC Manual

Download links and installation:

First unpack this one in the destination directory:
    - ADC Base

Then add any of the following. You can pile them up all together to achieve the above depicted horde.
    - ADC Series - Bard's Tale - all 3 of them + Construction Set
    - ADC Series - Thalion - Amberstar, Ambermoon, Lionheart (sort of bonus game)
    - ADC Series - Ishar - all 3 in normal + AGA versions, Crystals of Arborea, Targhan (another bonus)
    - ADC Series - Gold Box Part 1 - Dragonlance 1-3, Buck Rogers 1
    - ADC Series - Gold Box Part 2 - Forgotten Realms 1-6
    - ADC Series - Dungeon Master - DM1, Chaos and DM2
    - ADC Series - Eye of the Beholder - EotB 1 & 2 + their AGA remakes using PC graphics
    - ADC Series - Captive - 1+2, the 2nd one has CD audio packed with it as I didn't manage to make it play in WinUAE

The rest is packed by theme/style:
    - ADC Pack - 3D/Dungeon - Abandoned Places 1+2, Black Crypt, Bloodwych + Extended Levels, Crystal Dragon, Dungeons of Avalon 1+2, Evil's Doom (originally unreleased), Fate: Gates of Dawn, Knightmare, Legend of Faerghail, Legends of Valour, Ve stínu magie
    - ADC Pack - Horror - Elvira 1+2, Lords of Doom
    - ADC Pack - Isometric - Hero Quest 1 + Return of the Witch Lord, Hero Quest 2, Hillsfar, Speris Legacy, Times of Lore, Tower of Souls
    - ADC Pack - Sci-fi -Alien Fires 2199 AD, AutoDuel, Hilt 1+2, Hired Guns, Chaos in Andromeda, Perihelion: The Prophecy, Spacewrecked (a.k.a BSS Jane Seymour), Xenomorph
    - ADC Pack - Odd - Alternate Reality: The City, Death Bringer/Galdregon's Domain, Drakkhen, Kargon, Obitus

I'm pretty sure I haven't configured everything 100% correctly, so please do report any errors you may encounter. So far the only game I had the time to play entirely through is Perihelion.

Standalone highlights of this collection, as you won't find those anywhere else:
    - Ambermoon EN manual has been reconstructed by me using EN OCR/transcript and a German scan for images and layout
    - Perihelion guide, which I have finally finished along with my first complete playthrough
    - the icons, created from in-game or cover art; the archive contains some (yet) unused ones

Some useful Amiga links:
    The Company - Many 1-click playable games for download, from potatoland
    Hoborg's Amiga Ring - lots of games of various genres, pre-configured all in one installers, from another, smaller potatoland

An incredibly stylish archive with tons of manuals and other documents
    ExoticA has, among other stuf, a huge archive of box scans

Bard's Tale pages
    Captive pages
    Fate: Gates of Dawn
    Thalion pages

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 51
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    Cool. I have the game disk images in a collection, but I never managed to get WHDLoad to work properly using another frontend (Gamebase Amiga). So thanks.

Edit: almost all of the other sites seem to remove the kickstart roms, so maybe you should do so too.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kaucukovnik Cipher

Kaucukovnik
    My connection is back from hell, so I was finally able to upload the rest...

And yeah, I wasn't able to make WHDLoad work until I found Hoborg's packages which have an out-of-the-box functional version included.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    :what:
    Holy shit there are so many.

...Which ones should I try first?!

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Kaucukovnik Cipher

Kaucukovnik
    My personal no.1 is Perihelion. You won't find better apocalyptic cyberpunk horror.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Thanks for your efforts. Are all these specially configured to work solely with your emulator, or can they be used for WinUAE/Amiga Forever et al?

^ Top  
  7. Kaucukovnik Cipher

Kaucukovnik
    The base pack contains WinUAE 2.5.1. Most games are configured to use the HWA package included in the base archive.
    But I guess you can replace the emulator with another version that can eat the .uae files correctly.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Ah, thanks. I have a soft spot for HQ1/2 and Captive 2 from my CD32 days.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Man, I've been looking for Amiga version of Alien Fires 2199 AD for quite some time. :love:

I'd personally recommend Hired Guns. If you have 1-3 friend(s) with gamepads and love cooperative action, it's even better.
    But it's more challenging when played alone.

^ Top  
  10. made Arcane

made
    Impressive effort. Sadly it's doomed to obscurity in this part of the forum.

I'll be sure to check out your Perihelion guide since I've never finished the game and likely never will.

Btw,
    You're missing Waxworks, which also had an Amiga release.

^ Top  
  11. rpgcodexusername Arcane

rpgcodexusername
    If I had an android tablet and could put this on it I would be creaming myself right now.
    I dont feel like playing these games on the desktop though

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Fate if you have infinite time and don't mind clumsy GUI and endless trash mobs.

If not, then Ambermoon.

Everything else is on PC anyway, or not good enough to bother with.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    I recently got into Amiga emulation and I wonder about version of games that are better (either graphics, sounds or some gameplay features) on Amiga than on DOS. I read that the Gold Box games are part of this category. Is it true?

^ Top  
  14. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Some of them. Pool of Radiance most obviously. DKK too, but it always crashed on me. One or two more pre-VGA ones, but not all, some look just like on PC. Like, Champions is hi-color but Curse looks like EGA, or the other way around, beats me.

Basically, the older the game, the more chances it looks better on Amiga. With VGA PC is fine enough. With games of 1990 and before, you might be in for a pleasant surprise. Heck, prehistoric stuff like Wizard Crown looks better on the fucking Atari than on PC. Of those I have tried, Dragon Wars looks better on Amiga, Legend of Faerghail does. Wizardry 6 surprisingly doesn't, but hey, these cheapskates stuck to vector dungeons all the way to 1988.

Just go to Mobygames and browse the screenshots, in most cases you can see both PC and Amiga screens and compare for yourself.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

^ Top  
  16. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    u dumb? name which goldbox games - or other RPGs for that matter - have different mechanics or rule systems between Amiga and DOS ports?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kaucukovnik Cipher

Kaucukovnik
    Mondblut's answer was quite spot on. Unless you are curious about, say, those different (and uglier IMO) sprites in Amiga DM2, you are better off playing DOS version.
    And the earlier the game, the higher chance for it to look better on Amiga.

And Amiga versions tend to have better music in general.

^ Top  
  18. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    I suppose you already know this: http://thecompany.pl/

Great site with a shitload of standalone amiga executables based on winuae, by potatolanders.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Kaucukovnik Cipher

Kaucukovnik
    I don't like their closed nature too much. Got many of them downloaded anyway, sure. :)

You know what? I'll update the OP with some Amiga links for moar choice & info.

Edit: Also added the unique parts as standalone downloads.

^ Top  
  20. Hired Guns has waaay better graphics and sound on Amiga. AFAIK, music in DOS version was done through MIDI, while Amiga version has very cool tracker music and ambient.
    Show Spoiler

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Thanks, I asked because I've been curious to explore some old classics like the Gold Box ones and I wondered which version would be preferable. Pool of Radiance appears to look better but Pools of Darkness seens somewhat equal on both platforms.

Decisions …

At least it was easy for The Chaos Engine :D

^ Top  
  22. made Arcane

made
    If you care about music & soundfx, the choice is usually in favor of the Amiga, unless the PC version had MT32 support or CD audio, but even then it's debatable (I prefer Ultima 6's Amiga soundtrack, for example).
    Graphics-wise, Amiga wins until 256 color gfx became wide-spread, then it comes down to the quality of the port (Ultima 6 portraits look atrocious on the Amiga). If there's an AGA version available they'll look pretty much the same.

Some games may also differ in terms of input methods or UI, but I can't remember any examples off-hand.

Didn't resident DOStards complain about not being able to attack diagonally with ranged weapons in Ultima 5 or something? Not sure tho.

^ Top  
  23. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    This is awesome, thank you Kaucukovnik.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    ^ Top  
  24. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Mm, Captive 2. I still hope to beat it one day.

Awesome stuff.

^ Top  
  25. Karmapowered Scholar

Karmapowered
    You have my gratitude, friend.

:bro:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.