Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga Dungeoneering Collection

WaltC333

Novice
I keep coming back to this thread after all these years.
Excellent job, Kaucukovnik.

Me, too...;) The Amiga collection is fantastic and I so appreciate the work K has done--! Just great...;) I've been dusting off and playing the Eye of the Beholder I/II games again...picked up the GOG versions in addition to my originals (which are no doubt in 880k Amiga floppy heaven these days--or maybe the other place--good grief but floppies were notoriously unreliable!--(Especially the 5 1/4" variety of floppy--which really was *floppy*...;)) --and was delighted to see an automapper had been patched in to both the Amiga EoB & II...! The integration with the Amiga versions is very well done...! Much better than the automapper someone put together for the DOS version of the game, imo--it's very klunky comparatively. But it's great that people have done this for both versions of these games...definitely classics. All of the games in K's Amiga Dungeoneering collection are classics. GOG could learn a thing or two from K's expertise at packaging these games...!

Later...;)

WaltC333

Novice
OP is a pleb and a pirate that couldn't even get WHDLoad going. :lol:

Here is my write-up for you nincompoops.

Interesting write up, but gee, sort of strange take on K's work...This assembly I think is more along the lines of a public service--certainly not "piracy" as many of these games are unavailable anywhere today. A few are, but there's no charge on them--to wit, the Bard's Tale Series. I had no trouble with his WHDLoad games, btw...;) (But it's been awhile since I looked at the list of these games, but I thought a couple were WHDLoad.) I use WAE, too--yawn, there's nothing techno-marvel about it--and let's face it, some people can barely figure out how to hit the "on" button today--much less figure the correct way to shut down, etc. Anything like this is helpful and outstanding, I think. I'm puttering along with a stinking Win10x64 Insiders build atm, 16199, and I shouldn't have been carrying forward a couple of 1TB drives setup in a Windows software RAID 0 configuration while *beta testing* these builds (had to use *dynamic format instead of basic* for technical reasons related to my system)--and just the other day I lost my RAID 0 partitions...! (Which left me with 4 partitions and three physical drives still intact for 3TB's of games and data--didn't lose c:\ ironically.) Grrrr.....First time in 20 years of going RAID 0 in one form or another that this happened! Anyway, I lost my original installation of K's Amiga Dungeoneering and came back here in the hopes that all is well--and it is, as I discovered to my satisfaction. I really, really want to keep these games--also, there were a couple of the really old games that using my own custom configs I could *not* get to run correctly--but K's configuration ran them! Still don't understand exactly why...;) Bottom line is a very much appreciate K's efforts at this assembly of Amiga games--it's history. It needs preservation.

Naraya

Arcane
Ah, this thread is golden. I've never played Amiga games much, going straight to the IBM PC/AT from my ZX Spectrum+ but I always liked the atmosphere and mood of games of that era (eg. Perihelion is just brimming with it!).

Anyway, I've started playing Ambermoon (never played Amberstar). I'm getting my ass kicked in the first dungeon (cellar) by big spiders. Is this game just hard or I shouldn't be fighting them at this point? Any general tips for the game? :)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Anyway, I've started playing Ambermoon (never played Amberstar). I'm getting my ass kicked in the first dungeon (cellar) by big spiders. Is this game just hard or I shouldn't be fighting them at this point? Any general tips for the game? :)
IIRC, when starting Ambermoon you need to loot everything in your grandfather's house that isn't tied down, then enter the cellar and pick up a better weapon before fighting anything. As for general tips, download the map and manual if you haven't already, and if you need more help then consult Hall of Light.

Naraya

Arcane
Playing Ambermoon. A few random thoughts:
- love the pixel graphics - especially portraits
- definitely not a fan of out of combat movement. I can see this looked cool back then but god is it tedious to move around... If only it was faster using the keyboard
- WinUAE's warp mode makes trash fights exciting bearable
- I don't like the fact that I'm unable to carry as much gold/food as I like - at least currently, I'm unable to pick gold/food left by bandits. Is this a bug?

Overall I like the game a lot so far :)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Playing Ambermoon. A few random thoughts:
- love the pixel graphics - especially portraits
- definitely not a fan of out of combat movement. I can see this looked cool back then but god is it tedious to move around... If only it was faster using the keyboard
- WinUAE's warp mode makes trash fights exciting bearable
- I don't like the fact that I'm unable to carry as much gold/food as I like - at least currently, I'm unable to pick gold/food left by bandits. Is this a bug?

Overall I like the game a lot so far :)

I really wanted to play this game and what I did play I enjoyed very much, but, yeah. The movement keys are horrible in Ambermoon with no known solution. If you click with mouse, it was okay but with any type of gridder I NEED to play with keyboard keys (or at least a gamepad mapped to keys), and this game for some reason has the fucking WORST keyboard movement. It was so bad I just ended-up rage-quitting after successfully returning from my first dungeon. I don't need a drunkard's walking simulator which is what it felt like and which is deadly for a RPG of this length. Maybe someday someone will remaster Ambermoon into the quite decent blobber I suspect it is, but with STANDARD keyboard movement keys. This game deserved so much better than that.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I downloaded Perihelion from one of those packages but when i start it im getting a message about registering WHDload and saving doesnt work at all, i dont have any experience with Amiga emulation (besides TheCompany.pl version of Evil's Doom that works perfectly, even if i dont know how to close it properly lol) so i dont know what should i do, any help would be great.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I downloaded Perihelion from one of those packages but when i start it im getting a message about registering WHDload and saving doesnt work at all, i dont have any experience with Amiga emulation (besides TheCompany.pl version of Evil's Doom that works perfectly, even if i dont know how to close it properly lol) so i dont know what should i do, any help would be great.
You could try downloading Perihelion from a different package, or you could learn how to use WinUAE or FS-UAE or AmigaForever, which would allow you to run not only Perihelion but any other Amiga game from the .adf files. :M

Zariusz

Arbiter
You could try downloading Perihelion from a different package, or you could learn how to use WinUAE or FS-UAE or AmigaForever, which would allow you to run not only Perihelion but any other Amiga game from the .adf files. :M
This versiom works with save states, i hoped for working in game save but i have what i have, thanks.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For the record, I'm planning to provide a modernised version of this pack, including all the supplementary manuals, PDFs, etc., but bundle it with an up-to-date version of WinUAE with pre-configured authentic CRT shaders, and running the games on an HDD-equipped Amiga 500 for a more authentic experience, so no WHDLoad.

Seems like Kaucukovnik is no longer around, but hopefully his old email address is still valid so I can let him know about my plans and credit him accordingly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom