Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview An Authentic Account of an Embassy from the RPG Codex to Larian Studios

Monty

Arcane
Chefe's Mirror Image

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Power Word: Discuss (Paralyze all creatures with join date after 2007 for 2d4 rounds with inane blabber. Creatures with joing date before 2007 can ignore the effects of the spell if they pass a DC 29 will save)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The only possible saving grace here is that Larian's more likely to just mock everything than preach, but I'd still like to get back to the days when RPGs weren't trying to stay relevant to the issues we face today™.

In case you do not know, Larian always had a very tongue-in-cheek, light-hearted and parodic take on fantasy. As for DC, the goal was to try to offend everyone.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The flee feature teleport sounds bad. I was hoping for fallout-like distance based.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Flee is fine, but as long as we can still lure creatures to a town is important. And so much fun.

The flee feature teleport sounds bad. I was hoping for fallout-like distance based.
Is not final, Swen talked about implementing a "exit zone" that players must reach to flee.

Yup, I'm thinking the "Flee" button is a testing convenience and will eventually become "End Combat", which would be more logical since

a) While it could be used if your partner wants you somewhere quick, the teleporting pyramids already serve that function, it would be redundant to keep both thing in the game

b) Even during Gragt's "demo" they had to spend minutes running after a straggler skeleton, so they're aware coupling fleeing AI with inability to end combat leads to frustrating Benny Hill skits.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ah fuck, Dragon Commander is not on the paypal campaign.

tarasis

Novice
Thanks for the write up Gragt, it's getting harder and harder for me to resist backing this. Argh.

Why resist at all?

Because I've backed a fair few projects already and while I own DD,BD,DD2 (via GOG) I've never played them. Money doesn't grow on trees but I really like what I am seeing and what Larian are aiming for (I really want them to hit $1 million, more so than the 800k goal) with the game. Plus their interaction with the community has be stupendous.

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
I really hate the traditional starcraft/age of empire/warcraft RTS model. I really suck at micro and don't have any clickfest skills whatsoever.

Yet I do enjoy RTS like Total War, Stronghold, Cossacks, and other slower paced RTS with less emphasis on clicks per seconds and micro, and more emphasis on strategy, geometrical planning (defenses, formations....).

I also especially likes when there's a clearly defined battlefield, clear progression, and front-lines, and not just an over dynamic chaotic mess. Maps and battles that aren't too open. Ex : Enemies slowly progressing into your inner fortress, A land battalion slowly taking chunks of the hill you're standing on, 4 regiments battling to keep the enemies out of each corner of a zone, defending a bridge...

Is Dragon Commander the game for me? Or Is it it more in the vain of Starcraft, with a focus on aerial battle (even more open, chaotic)?

( I do not care about the board phase, but I do enjoy the RPG/decision making part).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Dragon Commander the game for me? Or Is it it more in the vain of Starcraft, with a focus on aerial battle (even more open, chaotic)?

( I do not care about the board phase, but I do enjoy the RPG/decision making part).
You should probably watch some video previews (and read Gragt's report, if You have not already) and decide for Yourself. From what I've seen, it's kind of a mix between StarCraft and Company of Heroes. I have not seen much Total War similarities.

RTS is the only skippable part of the game (through auto-resolve). Also, Gragt wrote that of 2 hourse he played DC, only 15 or so minutes were spent in the RTS mode, so it might still be enjoyable for You.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well, it sounds like it's the kind of game you could enjoy but I'm of course not 100% certain. It is designed to have a strong board game feel, so if you like that you'll probably enjoy it even more. One of the objectives (which was pushed by Swen if I understood correctly) was to make it so that board game players who dislike RTS games could still enjoy it so you have the auto-resolve option. That doesn't mean the RTS side is just thrown in as an afterthought because it is also well-developped and you get rewards for playing the RTS battles and doing well. Thing with the RTS is that you got many options, it's very dynamic and as I wrote you can turn into a dragon and take matters into your own claws. Might be too dynamic for you, I don't know. But the point is that if the RTS is the only part that leaves you cold, you can ignore it most of the time and only go into it when you face a battle with very low odds.

It's also possible that they adapted the presentation to show mostly the social aspects and strategy map since I said beforehand that I didn't play RTS much, but even if so it's kind of a testament to the versatility of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom