Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another Age of Pirates 2 thread

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
I got the urge to return
it's a disservice to the game NH exists but there isn't a simple bugfix that'd limit itself to fixing bugs and maybe restoring content
I don't want 6 million janky ships, items and characters on top of jank and realistic 1to1 3D sailing - I want the game, game+ would be sweet, I don't want corsairsoup...? piratesoup? dogsoup?
I'll do CoAS
I might do Caribbean Tales, I found an effort that at least gets the spirit of it right https://www.piratesahoy.net/threads...larger-text-time-fix-and-other-patches.29064/

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
City of Abandoned Ships does have a bugfix only patch
yeah yeah, combined modpack 1.7, you mean, plus what agris suggested, and the officer loyalty fix, which I haven't seen mentioned
which is why I'm going that way
all of my moan was aimed at POTC, which is what I naturally wanted to start with

Nm6k

Scholar
From what I can tell it's the same as it was in Sea Dogs 2 with the New Horizons mod pack. I don't really see anything from To Each His Own besides the better graphics so far

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I can tell it's the same as it was in Sea Dogs 2 with the New Horizons mod pack. I don't really see anything from To Each His Own besides the better graphics so far
Other than your dude being able to handle musketry I don't think TEHO changes much.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't there a lot more sword moves you could (And had to) pull off?
Pretty sure the same six moves are a staple to Teho and CoAS- regular attack, heavy attack, light attack, sweeping attack, counter attack and parry.

But in TEHO, the whole system was so shit, you had to slow down game time to be able to see enemy attack animations and counter them. Is that still the case in this mod?

Nm6k

Scholar
There we go like I said it's a straight up port of Sea Dogs 2 New Horizons of everything including how the combat was in 2 which only had one attack with a melee weapon,one with a range weapon, and only one way of blocking , no counters unless I'm missing remembering something here

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
you had to slow down game time to be able to see enemy attack animations and counter them
Heh. That's one way of doing it I suppose. Never bothered countering or parrying anything other than the overhead heavy hit.
There we go like I said it's a straight up port of Sea Dogs 2 New Horizons of everything including how the combat was in 2 which only had one attack with a melee weapon,one with a range weapon, and only one way of blocking , no counters unless I'm missing remembering something here
City of Abandoned ships definitely had counters and what not.

Shaki

Arbiter
you had to slow down game time to be able to see enemy attack animations and counter them
Heh. That's one way of doing it I suppose. Never bothered countering or parrying anything other than the overhead heavy hit.
City of Abandoned ships definitely had counters and what not.
Idk about City of Abandoned ships, but Pirates of the Caribbean definitely had nothing else but hit + ranged hit (big cooldown) + block (completely useless) + dodge which was just a jump back. So combat came down to either kiting with dodge if you had room to do so, or standing and spamming attack until you or enemy was dead, if you didn't, very simple.

Piracy setting: great.
Games built on multiple layers of modding engines themselves built on old Russian development studio engines: terribad.

Piracy setting: great.
Games built on multiple layers of modding engines themselves built on old Russian development studio engines: terribad.
You ever tried blood and gold Caribbean?

No, from what I heard/read, it was basically Mount & Blade in piracy setting. I enjoy the combat in M&B games, but they cannot do anything else well. And games with only combat and nothing else are boring.

Perhaps if these PotC/TEHO people joined forces with the Blood and Gold people, since the former can only do everything besides combat, and the latter can only do combat...

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm bumping this thread because it's an excellent resource for the best community made patches for City Of Abandoned Ships

i tried the Peter Blood campaign in the COAS with the Maelstrom source port, but many several important quests that are vital for the progression of the main plot are just outright broken in that version - while the GOG/Steam version with the fan-made 1.7 bug fix patch isn't broken in this regard

Listen, fedsmoker, don't even bring this post-Akella shit up until someone makes a mod/game in this lineage that doesn't require you to adjust in-game speed in order to do melee combat successfully.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I would consider that 64-bit Maelstrom engine for Sea Dogs games if I ever reach the point in, say, CoAS I had an enormous fleet of ships in mortal combat with other fleets. By all reports, not only does the old 32-bit Storm engine start crashing every few minutes from this, but the ships in your fleet start crashing into each other and sinking due to poor pathfinding of the AI, similar to some of the ships in the unmodded X3 games. If you're a sperg that spent 200+ hours to build up such an armada and you see it decimating itself before your very eyes it must be quite demoralizing. Unfortunately, Maelstrom engine doesn't fix this issue, only adds stability and much less crashing. But supposedly you can transfer your old 32-bit Storm engine saves to the new 64-bit Maelstrom if you suddenly need stability... that is if you got $12 burning a hole just northwest of your codpiece in the pocket of your britches.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
By all reports, not only does the old 32-bit Storm engine start crashing every few minutes from this, but the ships in your fleet start crashing into each other and sinking due to poor pathfinding of the AI, similar to some of the ships in the unmodded X3 games. If you're a sperg that spent 200+ hours to build up such an armada and you see it decimating itself before your very eyes it must be quite demoralizing.
You don't even have to go that far. Get yourself any ship with a fuckload of cannons then launch exploding shot at enemies. You'll crash faster than a woman attempting parallel parking.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
By all reports, not only does the old 32-bit Storm engine start crashing every few minutes from this, but the ships in your fleet start crashing into each other and sinking due to poor pathfinding of the AI, similar to some of the ships in the unmodded X3 games. If you're a sperg that spent 200+ hours to build up such an armada and you see it decimating itself before your very eyes it must be quite demoralizing.
You don't even have to go that far. Get yourself any ship with a fuckload of cannons then launch exploding shot at enemies. You'll crash faster than a woman attempting parallel parking.
That's one thing I don't remember happening with the New Horizons mod for PotC, at least. I think I only quit playing that when a ship I had been pursuing managed to get just over the horizon out of view so I either saved or used accelerated time function; then the ship vanished without a trace. To the credit of the Pirates Ahoy! boys over on their forum, they told me exactly how to enter certain commands in the console to get that ship back but by that time I was drained and soon after moved on to something else. I'm saddened that CoAS is so prone to crashing in late game, even more saddened by jeb's comment above that the Maelstrom engine apparently breaks main quests. I wanted to play as Captain Blood.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
I wanted to play as Captain Blood
No point to playing as the dude it's just a railroaded opening and nothing happens after you score the ship. No fights with Levasseur, no nothing.

That's one thing I don't remember happening with the New Horizons mod for PotC, at least
The bugfix pack did, uh, fix that for me, so credit where it's due.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom