Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Another Oblivion fan interview

Twinfalls

Erudite
Proweler is a mainstay of the TES boards.

proweler said:
Stats arn't suposed to excist at all in an RPG, nececary evil to compair characters and monsters.

Congratulations, Beth. You must be so proud of what your fanbase has become.

triCritical

Erudite
Twinfalls said:

I think its because other boards are run by pinkos, which would never hurt a board members feelings by telling them, that yes opinion's regarding concrete idea's can indeed be incorrect. Not just that, but having the necessity remain civil, often times results ad-naseum agreement.

As far as I am concerned some thick headed people need the idea pounded home in the harshest of ways.

Data4

Arcane
triCritical said:
Twinfalls said:

I think its because other boards are run by pinkos, which would never hurt a board members feelings by telling them, that yes opinion's regarding concrete idea's can indeed be incorrect. Not just that, but having the necessity remain civil, often times results ad-naseum agreement.

As far as I am concerned some thick headed people need the idea pounded home in the harshest of ways.

You summed it up perfectly. My love/hate relationship with the ESF stems from the fact that there's this expectation of being all nicey-nice with everyone. No one learns when there's no room to criticize. Fucking idiots will always remain fucking idiots unless someone's there to point out that they are indeed fucking idiots.

I participate there because I'm interested in Oblivion, and hopeful that it'll be better than what we all THINK it'll be. I don't go there to try to belong to some community, or seek acceptance from the collective zombie-mind that exists there. I'm talking about the vaccuous automatons that, when presented with a screenshot they've never seen before, will boldly proclaim "I've never seen it before, so it must be illegal", and the lapdogs that feel post count is indicative of dick length when they post a string of "Yeah, it's illegal" replies.

As for pinkos running the show.... heh, I don't like getting political in discussion forums about gaming, but the common bond among the top tier of Zenimax is quite telling.

-D4

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Data4 said:
I'm interested in Oblivion, and hopeful that it'll be better than what we all THINK it'll be.
No, it'll be worse. Developers don't release game information for a very good reason. It's generally because they either don't have any or what they do have, sucks. This falls into line with the 3 stages of marketing most games go through:
  1. Announcement / Planned Feature Hype (this game will rock, did I tell you how much we love horseback combat?).
  2. Actual Feature Hype / Clarification (well, when we say we love horseback combat, we mean like, we like horses but not actually fighting from them because, you know, that's really hard!)
  3. Post-Release Fallout (well, we're sorry you don't like the game but... and well... the fan made mods can add in horseback combat so easily because ummm... we made it that way, 'k?)

Psilon

Erudite
Oh? What about "Looking forward to Oblivion label me an idiot ASAP?" Or Sarvis's pal posting what seemed to be a press release? There's two counterexamples without even trying, so shut up. Most of the Codex-started threads on Oblivion are 5+ pages because of two things: the influx of ES fans, and Bethsoft employees like Steve & Gavin fanning the flames.

Tintin

Arbiter
Psilon said:
and Bethsoft employees like Steve & Gavin fanning the flames.

:lol: you consider trying to answer uncivilized criticism in a civilized way fanning the flames?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Psilon said:
Oh? What about "Looking forward to Oblivion label me an idiot ASAP?" Or Sarvis's pal posting what seemed to be a press release? There's two counterexamples without even trying, so shut up. Most of the Codex-started threads on Oblivion are 5+ pages because of two things: the influx of ES fans, and Bethsoft employees like Steve & Gavin fanning the flames.

Lol, two threads is hardly an invasion. And most of the discussion takes place here in News comments anyway, based on "news" posted by VaultDweller Himself, or there was the "preview" thread, also by Vault Dweller. Besides, it was Vault Dwellers visit to the TES boards, and his aggressive argumentation there, that first brought me here, and probably others too. So if you think there are too many Oblivion threads here, talk to VD.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh no, it's an invasion of the TES fanboys with their numerous (2) threads on the subject of Oblivion!

Never mind the fact that VD keeps rehashing old interviews every single time he gets the chance to do so, posting every little preview and reference to the game including forum posts he can find as gigantic news posts. Not to mention the fake interviews.

Yes, it's obvious that the TES fanbase is to blame for the onslaught of Oblivion-related threads at the Codex.

----
Would it surprise anyone to know that the TES fanbase has its own shares of concerns about what Oblivion is going to turn out, and its affect on the setting? VD's constant misrepresentation of the TES fanbase as nothing more than a bunch of mindless 12 year old fanboys is nothing anything but accurate. It'd be like saying the Fallout fans enjoyed FOT.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Never mind the fact that VD keeps rehashing old interviews every single time he gets the chance to do so...
I reposted one interview by mistake. I didn't post the original otherwise I would have recognized it. RPG Dot posted it 3 times simply because it was all over the place and every game site has posted it within a week claiming that they are the ones who did it.

Enough with the bullshit already, Rex. I don't care, but you are making a fool out of yourself. Again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Psilon said:

Lol, two threads is hardly an invasion. And most of the discussion takes place here in News comments anyway, based on "news" posted by VaultDweller Himself, or there was the "preview" thread, also by Vault Dweller. Besides, it was Vault Dwellers visit to the TES boards, and his aggressive argumentation there, that first brought me here, and probably others too. So if you think there are too many Oblivion threads here, talk to VD.
I didn't start any "Oblivion sucks" threads, did I? I've joined the existing discussion because the Codex was mentioned, and I've argued in a civil manner which is more than could be said about the locals.

Psilon

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan: Did I say it was an invasion? No. I pointed out that Tintin's statement ("None of the [Oblivion] threads were created by ES fans") was demonstrably false. I'm sure I could find more examples if I actually cared enough to look, but quite frankly I'm tired of rehashing Oblivion as well. They're almost certainly misfeature-complete by now, and don't seem to have any intention of revealing the interesting stuff until going gold. Unfortunately, for lack of other activity in the RPG development community, that's what we've got. See: Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna, Dungeon Siege II, Dungeon Lords, Sacred, and all the other floods of newsposts for mediocre games.

Tintin: As for fanning the flames, yes, I think that's the end result of the posts. I'm sure it's not the intention--if they were that good at PR manipulation we wouldn't be counting the appearances of Patrick Stewart in every interview--but it sure seems to be the result. MSFD's correct-the-misconceptions posts in the first half of I Was Wrong were admirable, but come on. Every time he or Kathode opens his mouth, we get an extra two pages on the relevant thread. This isn't 2003 with the 14-page BioWare threads based purely on internal vitriol.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Psilon said:

I didn't start any "Oblivion sucks" threads, did I? I've joined the existing discussion because the Codex was mentioned, and I've argued in a civil manner which is more than could be said about the locals.

Oh, although I disagree with your opinions most of the time, I personally don't mind your threads, they are the very reason I pop my head over here! I was merely pointing out that the alleged "invasion" of TES fanboys really hasn't happened, and certainly is not responsible for any number of posts here that would be large enough to be termed "disruptive".

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sol Invictus said:
Never mind the fact that VD keeps rehashing old interviews every single time he gets the chance to do so, posting every little preview and reference to the game including forum posts he can find as gigantic news posts. Not to mention the fake interviews.
I agree. What we need around here is more Cleve Blakemore.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
I agree. What we need around here is more Cleve Blakemore.
Don't say his name out loud! He'll bust into our forum like he did at Quarter To Three, complete with third person narration!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom