Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Another PC exclusive developer turns to consoles.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Sir_Brennus, May 1, 2008.

1. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Like Crysis, huh? That games was pure shit. It looks nice, yes, but it's so dull.

That's why I only touch FPS games from Valve, Monolith and Irrational.

^ Top  
  2. Annonchinil Scholar

Annonchinil
    I believe that US is still the largest market for PC games, I mean there were about 25 million boxed copies sold in Germany while over 30 million in the US, as far as I remember.

^ Top  
  3. aron searle Arcane

aron searle
    :lol:

And with only a population of 82 million thats some fucking impressive market Penetration, (hur hur)

^ Top  
  4. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    Resistance is futile.

You need to stop being an idiot. You're seeing a symptom of a problem which affects all PC developers, not just the ones you don't like. Hell, it's all developers, PC is just the worst.

But I guess devs who get their software pirated deserve it, right, for not making a real effort?

Think again

I think I've said this before but your nickname is absolutely spot on. Disconnected indeed.

^ Top  
  5. WalterKinde Scholar

WalterKinde
    Am i the only one who was indifferent to Crysis?
    I didn't even bother with the demo and now that its in the bargin bin still don't plan to pick it up.
    If most of the gaming public is like me maybe thats why sales were disappointing and not piracy.
    Same thing happened with UT3 everybody agrees both games have eye candy and physics engines up the whazoo but they all say "meh" when talking about gameplay, and lets not forget the system requirements which at the time and possibly to this day is still a bit much.
    That could be why the game had disappointing sales.

^ Top  
  6. doctor_kaz Scholar

doctor_kaz
    Crysis had outstanding gameplay. Easily as good as any FPS of the past few years and certainly more ambitious in the gameplay department than any FPS since 2004 other than S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Crysis is a bit of a stealth/action game so maybe that turns some people off.

^ Top  
  7. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    the first half is. the second almost completely ruins whatever fun the first built up and is nothing more than a worse and less fun 3d probotector/contra for graphic whores.

the game as a whole entity is at best mediocre, which i find rather inexcusable in such a blown up production.

might be an error of judgment, but personally i don't think all the "big" companies jumping aboard and leaving the pc for the indies are a bad thing.

aquaria >> crysis.

^ Top  
  8. Disconnected Scholar

Disconnected
    So you have. Sums up your lack of both argument & common sense quite nicely. But at least the weight of your brain won't cause you pes planus.

^ Top  
  9. Naked Ninja Arbiter

Naked Ninja
    Except piracy hits indies harder. The big players move on because they aren't making as much profit as they hoped. The smaller players simply crumble. Logical failure.

^ Top  
  10. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Guys why are we arguing, it's not like there's anything wrong with piracy. I mean, nothing is physically being taken from an inventory.

^ Top  
  11. Kingston Arcane

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    Hahah, KC knows how to troll.

^ Top  
  12. Goliath Arcane Zionist Agent

Goliath
    It does not affect all PC developers, at least not so much that they think about dropping the platform. A while ago RPGCodex posted a similar news item which contained statements from various developers. One of those developers who makes stupid action games whose primary feature are whizbang graphics moaned about TEH PIRACY! and how they have to drop the PC while the guy from Firaxis Games saw no issues at all. Civ IV (by Firaxis) sold like hot cakes, followed by two expansions which also sold well. Civ 5 (for PC of course) is in the making. It *does* depend on your target demographic!
    The FPS market is mostly teenage boys and young guys (many of them college students). If you expect them to always buy new computers / graphic cards AND pay for your game you might overestimate the financial resources of that demographic. Also that demographic is least likely to be concerned about the legal issues.
    Another important factor is the level of mental development. Half-way smart guys will understand enough economics to realise that "not enough sales = no more games". I have no moral issues with copyright infringement and I know where to get pirated copies, but that didn't stop me from buying Civ 4 and all expansions.

So I am not worried at all about all this. Companies (like Firaxis) who make games I like have no problems. All those dumb killer game makers with their whole 90% graphics / 10% gameplay design methology can leave as far as I am concerned. In fact, I hope more of them will go away. It might improve the reputation of PC gaming.
    Hopefully, Rockstar Games will be next!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    My theory is that most FPS idiots got bored with the genre but they are dazzled so much with the hype that they can't find games from other genres to play. Basically, they never tasted true gameplay, only grafix, and now they are getting bored with the only genre that they bothered with, since it offered the latest grafix.

^ Top  
  14. Annonchinil Scholar

Annonchinil
    Crysis SP was no worse than any other FPS of '07, they all had their problems. Also the whole demographic argument is lolz, look at how well the Sims sells; maybe they should make more games targeting that?

^ Top  
  15. doctor_kaz Scholar

doctor_kaz
    The first half or 2/3 of the game easily makes up for it. The only thing out there that was remotely like it was Far Cry. Most first person shooters nowadays are totally uninspired in the gameplay department. There is no other game out there with gigantic, open-ended environments that are fully destructable and a wide variety of balanced gameplay elements that allow you to approach any problem using almost any technique you want. That's what Crysis has. It had glitches, but the gameplay was far more innovative and unconventional than any other shooter last year except for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Compared to a mediocre and repetitive 8-hour game like Halo 3 or Gears of War, Crysis is a fucking masterpiece. I don't understand what people are looking for here. If someone doesn't find luring enemies into buildings and then killing them by punching in the walls, or killing snipers by crashing vehicles into their towers to be fun then, that person needs to find a new hobby besides gaming.

^ Top  
  16. Xi Arcane

Xi
    I like how some of you are completely unwilling to accept the possibility that piracy may be part of the problem. It is rather amusing, indeed.

^ Top  
  17. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    I don't really see how piracy is worse for indies. If you're not dumping millions into making your game, you don't need to sell such absurd numbers. If anything, they likely break even when you consider the equivalent price of that much marketing. Even the bigger companies must see quite a benefit in this regard for certain titles. Supreme Commander, for example, interested me as the spiritual successor to TA. Had I never torrented TA I likely wouldn't have given a crap at all. A friend of mine picked up Fate when it came out in stores because I'd told him about it after pirating it. Now, he buy a fucking TON of games, but I still doubt some crappily boxed little indie diablo clone would have caught his eye if I hadn't gone on about how much I enjoyed it compared to most games of the genre. I sure as fucking hell don't buy things like that.

^ Top  
  18. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Oh god not again.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Gnidrologist CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Why the hell anyone cares about developer, who makes TEH GRAFIXX games for casuals?
    PC market would actually benefit, if most of those would migrate netirely to console market.
    PC market should change to a niche for the people like us, who holds the value of gameplay higher than shiny shit.

^ Top  
  20. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    examples?

^ Top  
  21. Sir_Brennus Scholar

Sir_Brennus
    Yes, because noone needs games like Dragon Age being made.

:roll:

Your logic = Epic failure.

^ Top  
  22. Gnidrologist CONDUCTOR

Gnidrologist
    Do you know anything about Dragon Age?

^ Top  
  23. Human Shield Augur

Human Shield
    The demo disappointed me so much that I didn't even bother pirating it.

The fact is that people don't consider games that only have 10 hour life and then shelved as worth $50 bucks. Retarded console kids that have their parents buying games for them and haven't played similar games before mite buy a few until they wise up; but service, re-playability, and online play is what works.

^ Top  
  24. The Dude Liturgist

The Dude
    Indies being punished harder by piracy seems to be a load of shit. If Indie-devs play their cards right I think they could bring over a lot of pirates simply by being indies. Just stand in the spotlight and show that you are a bunch of guys/girls that wants to do this for a living and that you can't make more games if people don't buy your games (Choice & Consequence 101). Also, foster a community and take part in it as time allows, make people talk about your games and tell others about them. Much of piracy's charm is that it's a faceless crime, it has no easily apparent victim. By mitigating this, it would probably be possible to put a pretty substantial dent in piracy, at least as an indie.

Oh, but I forgot that pirates are the vile scum of the earth, comparable to rapists, burglars and robbers. Surely they will not be swayed by such feeble attempts. A moral wrong is a moral wrong, no matter how you look at it, but pirates are really, really wrong.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.