Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News AntharioN Release Date Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Antharion; Orphic Software

AntharioN, an Indie RPG kickstarter project we've had apparently covered back in 2012, had its release date announced as 15th July 2015. They're also accepting pre-orders now.
Antharion is an epic old-school fantasy RPG that combines tactical turn-based combat with the freedom of a huge living-breathing open world. You'll create and customize a party of four: choosing from seven races, nine classes and fifteen skills, before setting out to explore the fully interactive continent of Antharion. Explore dungeons, get thrown in jail, discover hidden passageways, burglarize homes, read books, create potions, become and infamous pickpocket, embark on a journey at sea and discover uncharted islands or persuade NPCs to do your bidding. In Antharion no play style is off limits.

Features
  • Create and fully customize your party of four, choosing from 7 races, 9 classes and 15 skills.
  • Journey through five huge provinces, each with its own environment, history and culture.
  • Experience an open-ended epic storyline where you determine what happens.
  • Turn-based tactical combat makes dungeon crawling endlessly satisfying.
  • Explore a huge living-breathing and fully interactive open world.
  • Make choices that matter and affect the world around you.
  • Enjoy total freedom to play however you want.
  • Create and customize a party of four.

Here's the trailer to give you a general idea of the gameplay.

Unfortunately you don't see enough in the trailer to assess the quality of the tactical turned-based combat. Perhaps they'll be releasing a demo, then I might try it out.

theres a video preview in the mosaic after the above video

shows day/night cycles and weather effects

more environments which are more of the same trees and paths only this time covered in snow

dunno about this one, could go either way

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Aw yiss. I've been looking forward to this for quite a while now, I hope the game turns out well. Personally I enjoyed the Avernum 1 & 2 remakes (never played the original Avernums or Exile) so if AntharioN is about the same quality I'm happy.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aw yiss. I've been looking forward to this for quite a while now, I hope the game turns out well. Personally I enjoyed the Avernum 1 & 2 remakes (never played the original Avernums or Exile) so if AntharioN is about the same quality I'm happy.

Can't go too far wrong with a decent Avernum clone.

Now if only someone would make a Geneforge clone, or convince Jeff to continue the series.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Alright. Can't wait to play this!

As I said before, this looks basically like Avernum only with some actual polish, which is exactly what that series was missing.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh and I hope it will have snap movement (I always used this in the Avernum remakes) because the current movement speed seems a bit slow :P

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Almost 100% it does- He added the smooth-scrolling movement since some players thought the snap movement looked weird.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This looks pretty good. I'll probably grab it and maybe a spare copy for the bazaar as well if it's not too expensive

Andhaira

Arcane
I've been waiting for this since 2011. Took them a LONG while.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Backed this in 2012 just I joined the Codex. Glad to see it finally coming to life.

sdsOBTs.jpg

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Any advanced tactical options such as stances, flanking or field control capabilities?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There won't be a GOG version. Surprised and this seems to be happening more and more lately with Legends of Eisenwald also not going to GOG.

JudasIscariot?

GOG seems to have become really strict recently on what they let on the service.

Sort of the opposite approach to Valve/Steam.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I'd understand that, but Antharion and Eisenwald both seem like top-notch games. Not letting them into GoG is stupid.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Also, some of the turds that actually turn up on GOG make these decisions really head-scratching

Last edited:

almondblight

Arcane
There won't be a GOG version. Surprised and this seems to be happening more and more lately with Legends of Eisenwald also not going to GOG.

JudasIscariot?

Happened with Dex too. Just got an update from them saying GOG rejected them and asking backers to vote for them to get on it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

JudasIscariot?

Happened with Dex too. Just got an update from them saying GOG rejected them and asking backers to vote for them to get on it.
It's a shame really as these games are tailor made for the GOG user base much more than the Steam target audience.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It always makes me happy when Scrooge brofists Iren for some reason. It's like a bad romcom, only more tasteful.

I'm surprised I haven't looked into this. Will definitely check it out and may buy it once I have the money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom