Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Devs like Bioware should be capable of doing a lot better.

Haven't most of the older rats left the ship? You say they should be capable of doing better but maybe they really don't have any people left that could.

Caim

Arcane
Twitch is terrible for judging a game's popularity, people largely watch streams based on personalities not the game. There's no correlation between number of people playing a game on Steam and the number of people watching that game on Twitch. e.g., CSGO has 921k people ingame right now and 69k people watching twitch streams of it. GTA5 has 112k people ingame right now and 65k people watching twitch streams.
Pretty sure that there are more people watching people play WoW than are actually playing it themselves.

ADL

Prophet
Is this any good now?
They haven't updated it since the Cataclysm as far as I know. There's a small chance that it might be worth playing a year or two from now if Anthem Next releases. If you can pick it up for two dollars, I'd say go for it.

Turbo normie

Scholar
How dare you mentioning Warframe between Anthem and Destiny ?

Leave my biomechanial puppets alone. DE's game is a constant incline, from it's release date to nowadays the game has been polished and it keeps getting better and better.

RepHope

Savant
So if they went into full production now how long would it take? A year before Next was ready? We’re long past the point of anyone giving a shit, this franchise is dead.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Anthem was actually a really fun balance of story and team co-op, and the central flying mechanic was really fluid and fun. Unfortunately, I literally could not finish the story because I stopped playing a few weeks after release and when I returned 3 months later, the game was already dead. Unlike most story-focused co-op games, it wasn't balanced for single player at all, which made it incredibly hard. Missions also tend to be of the "raid a dungeon" co-op variety, so they aren't terribly fun to play on your own.

I do think the game could potentially find an audience if they released it on steam. Especially if they made it free to play.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It's too bad, this was the best game Bioware put out in years.

Sad, but true. The beta I played was a really mixed bag (art direction was all over the place; the awful characters), but the gameplay loop and breathtaking world made up for that.

Even if EA decides to pull the plug, I still hope they'll roll all the work up into a patch and release it for Anthem vanilla. It's quite affordable now on cd key sites.

Narax

Educated
Wait so they haven't fully committed to Anthem 2.0? RIP

Just pull the fucking plug already from this walking carcass. If the game failed to attract players during the initial release it will likely still fail after a "remake", first impression is very important, especially for multiplayer games.

Anthem can't even compete with Destiny 1-2, Warframe, and other similar games on the market, so I don't see why EA is still clinging to it, but I guess they want to give Biocucks one last chance.
:dgaider:

Gerrard

Arcane
If the game failed to attract players during the initial release it will likely still fail after a "remake", first impression is very important, especially for multiplayer games.
Better tell that to the FF14 devs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Leave my biomechanial puppets alone. DE's game is a constant incline, from it's release date to nowadays the game has been polished and it keeps getting better and better.
warframe has been ran into the ground
Remember some murmurs last year about the rapid decline of Warframe. I used to play it a lot a couple of years ago so sad news. IIRC what got them was a combination of woke and retarded design decisions nobody asked for? Or is there anything else?

Codex Year of the Donut
If the game failed to attract players during the initial release it will likely still fail after a "remake", first impression is very important, especially for multiplayer games.
Better tell that to the FF14 devs.
For every FF14 success story there are 100 firefalls, warhammer onlines, darkfalls, city of heroes, ..., that fail to ever catch on despite attempting a re-release.

Codex Year of the Donut

warframe has been ran into the ground
Remember some murmurs last year about the rapid decline of Warframe. I used to play it a lot a couple of years ago so sad news. IIRC what got them was a combination of woke and retarded design decisions nobody asked for? Or is there anything else?
awful updates + poor communication with community + heavy censorship

core of the game was always good but they just kept surrounding it with more and more shit. Yet to play another 3D game with such well designed movement controls.

Last edited:
Anthem also did sell on release. I think it was BioWare's biggest release, which makes their unwillingness to fix what was wrong with it in any kind of timely manner rather odd. Then again BioWare are the same dumb fucks that got themselves into the mess in the first place, and unlike with FF14 I'm guessing they don't have someone with a vision on how to right the ship.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
It's worth noting that it's one of the last EA games not yet on steam. They are likely holding it back for a re-launch. If it suddenly appears on Steam tomorrow, though, you'll know they are dumping it.

Yeah, of all of those Fortnite is the biggest example. Epic spent years developing a Tower Defense game, it came out and basically did nothing, on a lark they put in the Battle Royale mode and it became the biggest game around. Although Final Fantasy 14 I think is the only one where the game was completely remade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom