Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any exploration based RPG to recommend ??

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat you got some truly excellent suggestions in this thread, but this:

maxresdefault.jpg

is what you decided to go with?

I might change my vote in the Retard thread.
Don't care about your opinion,pedophile. Go play oblivion or fucking asscreed or what ever generic garbo you play.

Modron

Arcane
I don't think anyone mentioned Voidspire Tactics that has lots of secrets to find, lots of environmental interaction like digging, using a pickaxe to carve new routes, et cetera. Lots of map interconnections to find, optional areas, and some c&c here and there. His further games don't quite have the same oomph of exploration but it sounds like he is returning to Voidspire design principles with his upcomming game Kingsvein which might come out this year as well.

Zeriel

Arcane
The Long Dark encourages you to explore every nook and cranny in the hope of finding useful loot, such as a can of dog food hidden behind some furniture. Loot placement is somewhat randomized between games. There's also a lot of strategy involved to reduce risk and avoid wasting resources.

In Survival mode there's no story or quests. I can't stress enough what bliss this absence gives me these days.

Yeah, TLD was one of my favorite discoveries of the past year or so. Really fun to play once you get over the player art style (which thankfully you almost never have to see). However I think it really is only super satisfying (at least for myself) on the first playthrough. Admittedly that can last you a good hundred hours or more, but once you've played it (mostly) through once, it's hard to get the same feeling from replaying.

just

Liturgist
i've started playing this and it's pretty fun so far
if you want some pirating and exploring

one of the devs earlier titles which is supposed to be similar -pirates
havent tried it yet

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, TLD was one of my favorite discoveries of the past year or so. Really fun to play once you get over the player art style (which thankfully you almost never have to see). However I think it really is only super satisfying (at least for myself) on the first playthrough. Admittedly that can last you a good hundred hours or more, but once you've played it (mostly) through once, it's hard to get the same feeling from replaying.
Honestly I'd advise people not touching story mode at all. Sandboxes not everyone's cup of tea but survival mode is just so much better and free of stupid scripted/woke shit. In that mode, a very good game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Honestly I'd advise people not touching story mode at all. Sandboxes not everyone's cup of tea but survival mode is just so much better and free of stupid scripted/woke shit. In that mode, a very good game.

Yeah, to be clear, I haven't even touched story mode at all.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
i've started playing this and it's pretty fun so far
if you want some pirating and exploring

one of the devs earlier titles which is supposed to be similar -pirates
havent tried it yet

Both of these games look similar and are by the same developer. Which one would you recommend for the aforementioned exploration? I am inclined to buy the newer one (Horizon's Gate) with the assumption the developer learned something from the first effort, unless someone has another opinion. They both have positive reviews.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gonna Echo the sentiment to play voidspire/horizon's gate. I think alvora is the weakest entry, but still worth playing. Either way, Gonna stretch the definition of RPG but here is some that hasn't been listed here:

1. Bug fables the everlasting sapling. Paper mario-like that's charming and has great characters chemistry. Cool combat system (althougj you have to use the hard mode badge to actually have fun with badge system and combat in general) but decent exploration collecting rare badges and figuring out puzzles, some strong secret bosses, etc.

2. Ys VIII: lacrimosa of dana. Standard jrpg system but really good landscape, story and the "feel" of adventure. Decent exploration and i think finding every landmark is fun and worth it because they look so cool. Overall i prefer trails because i am a storyfag but if i'd recommend people one falcom game it'd be either this or ys origin.

3. Owlcat's games generally has pretty good itemization. Whether they has good exploration can be contested.

4. Sorcery! Really fun cyoa/ rpg lite games and i think exploring the world and fiddling the magic system is very fun.

5. Aeon of sands: the trail. If you like RT dungeon crawler and have played grimrock/vaporum, this one is pretty cool and set is a cool setting too.

These games aren't rpgs in any sense but i find the exploration very satisfying and just very cool sense of adventures and locales:

1. Northern Journey: very cool fps with unique style and banging soundtrack exploring tim burton esque land inspired by nordic folklore.

2. In other waters: minimalist marine biologist simulator in alien planet. Mostly cyoa games relying on text description but paints a vivid pictures of the ecosystem, in that way i find it even better than subnautica.

3. Subnautica: i think this is the ultimate survival game but since i love marine biology and scuba i have tons of personal bias for this game. Really cool locale and atmosphere, surprisingly good story and mystery too.

4. Ghost of a tale: souls like lite, stealth lite. Charming adventure of brave little mouse exploring a castle that id underrated as fuck. Really awesome art direction and atmosphere. It's souls lite in the way that the levels are built with certain interconnected-ness and some equipments you can collect. Very simple combat/stealth but worth playing IMO

Iucounu

Educated
Same here, been playing it non-stop for a year now. But once it stopped feeling challenging I just increased difficulty to Interloper, and the game became VERY challenging again. In fact you need to know most areas and mechanics before trying the Interloper setting, but the random placement of essential items still forces you to explore; and also search for different kinds of resources, such as saplings to make bows and arrows, that I never paid much attention to on lower difficulties where you get firearms.

Zeriel

Arcane
Same here, been playing it non-stop for a year now. But once it stopped feeling challenging I just increased difficulty to Interloper, and the game became VERY challenging again. In fact you need to know most areas and mechanics before trying the Interloper setting, but the random placement of essential items still forces you to explore; and also search for different kinds of resources, such as saplings to make bows and arrows, that I never paid much attention to on lower difficulties where you get firearms.

I suppose how I would put it is that the "exploration" factor disappears. You know where stuff is. Sure interloper has the randomization factor, but it's just randomizing items, not the areas themselves (not that I'd want that, procedurally generated stuff is a horrible bore to "explore"). A lovely experience the first time, but after that the enjoyment tapers off for me. I am trying to hold off on playing again until they completely finish the current DLC "season"; lots of fun stuff added so far but I want to wait until they add everything before I go and consume it again.

Iucounu

Educated

I suppose how I would put it is that the "exploration" factor disappears. You know where stuff is. Sure interloper has the randomization factor, but it's just randomizing items, not the areas themselves (not that I'd want that, procedurally generated stuff is a horrible bore to "explore"). A lovely experience the first time, but after that the enjoyment tapers off for me. I am trying to hold off on playing again until they completely finish the current DLC "season"; lots of fun stuff added so far but I want to wait until they add everything before I go and consume it again.
Makes sense. But even though I had visited all areas before moving to Interloper, I had only learned a few of them well enough to remember details. Interloper difficulty actually discourages me from exploring, since unknown areas often lead to trouble; as a result I only have vague recollections of places like Hushed River Valley, Timberwolf Mountain or some lower parts of Ash Canyon.

Haven't tried the DLC either. I believe it introduces lots of new mechanics like food recipies, that seems a bit bloated actually.

ironmask

Arbiter
I have already seen several people mention Morrowind, but have you ever played any of the big mods for MW such as Tamriel Rebuilt? It actually just got another decent size update recently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom