Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
That's like saying you can stop playing RPGs, we already had Wiz7, the Goldbox games and Fallout, nothing else will ever come close.

Yeah, at this point I'm pretty much gonna say that too, given the reeking turds they've pushing out lately even from crowdfunding and indie projects.

Hollow Knight was a rare exception, like Underrail and AoD. Hopefully this decade won't end with just two truly inclined cRPGs having been produced, but it easily might.

I rather try out new games and see what they have to offer. Axiom Verge, Environmental Station Alpha, the one with the Mexican theme, lots of other metroidvania that have great gameplay and interesting ideas

Yes, I've played Axiom Verge and Guacamelee!, too. They're okay, but nowhere near as good as Hollow Knight.

When I've played the best there is, playing shit that's mediocre by comparison just makes me wish I had my time and money back. Sometimes a game is so damned good it spoils me and sucks the enjoyment out of its lesser counterparts.

Machocruz

Arcane
Some people want to do other things with their free time than playing inferior versions of things they already played. Having said that, I would make an exception for Blaster Master. It is not quite up to the standard of SM or the best Igavanias, but it has a charm of its own. Also that you primarily play as a vehicle make it unique amongst Metroid inspired games, along with the on foot, top down shooter sections. In light of this, the lack of imagination on the part of most designers working in this 'genre' decades later is disappointing. Belmont/Alucard and Samus wannabes are still the order of the day.

Edit: Top notch NES soundtrack too.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
strong words from one of the fags turning this shithole into facebook
Says the newfag.

Some people want to do other things with their free time than playing inferior versions of things they already played. Having said that, I would make an exception for Blaster Master. It is not quite up to the standard of SM or the best Igavanias, but it has a charm of its own. Also that you primarily play as a vehicle make it unique amongst Metroid inspired games, along with the on foot, top down shooter sections. In light of this, the lack of imagination on the part of most designers working in this 'genre' decades later is disappointing. Belmont/Alucard and Samus wannabes are still the order of the day.

Edit: Top notch NES soundtrack too.
Blaster Master is incredibly fun, almost sad that I forgot about it. If you ignore the more anime trappings of the remake that's also very well done as well. I would like to see more metroidvanias work a bit outside of the genre, like how Aquaria and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet incorporate a side scrolling shooter type movement option.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
While I agree about Hollow Knight setting the bar for the genre, I think you're wrong about mediocre stuff not having value. That's kind of like arguing that a 9/10 comedian isn't worth watching because you saw a 10/10 comedian and therefore don't want to waste your time. Novelty is a good thing.

There is a LOT of garbage in the genre though. I'd give Axiom Verge and Guac like maybe a 6/10. The gulf between them and HK is massive. Not to mention the shitton that don't really count as anything other than linear platformers that let you backtrack. And the genre's kind of bled into 3D games as well at this point.

I'm still holding out on hope someone makes a solid procedural metroidvania. Spelunky got the level generation right, if it had multiple exits to levels and allowed backtracking it'd be pretty spot on. A Robot Named Fight might pull it off, haven't played it in a long time but it's got the upgrades right, just needed more alternate routes available.

I also hope we'll see the non-linear aspect properly co-opted by other genres the way Dark Souls 1 did it. I'd love to see that done in something like a Ys or Zelda game or some RPGs that aren't roguelikes.

Ventidius

Arbiter
If anything 3D allows for more complex design for obvious reasons.

It might come at the price of clarity, though.

Yes, come think of it, I phrased that poorly. Indeed, the very Metroid Prime games I was discussing are a great example of efficient exploitation of the possibilities opened to a Metroidvania by the addition of the z axis along with its interplay with the x and y axes. However, what I meant originally was that, due to the fact that it is more difficult to produce this kind of content, 2D games have the advantage of allowing the developer to produce more content that is also bigger, denser, and better integrated at a lower cost. This is why, I surmise, none of the attempts at translating Metroidvanias to 3D have managed to produce gameworlds able to match the breadth and coherence of Super Metroid's Zebes.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Siveon how good is unepic and steamworld dig?
Unepic is honestly pretty meh overall. The writing was made by a non-native speaker, and it's very webcomic tier in the way it dolls out jokes and what-not. The gameplay is a bit on the clunky side, due to the UI. What IS inspired however is the combat itself which feels very natural and well done, with the setting and graphics itself giving this very D&D traditional fantasy vibe to it. It's probably the closest thing we'll get to a D&D metroidvania, but otherwise that's the only reason I mentioned it. I personally don't even like it due to the absolutely dreadful ending. Good for what it is tier.

Steamworld Dig I unabashedly love, and I believe it is a very good game, although not perfect. The way the game handles exploration through tile-based digging not dissimilar to Minecraft or Terraria - while still being a handcrafted world, is pretty damn great. It made exploration all the more fun because you weren't just jumping from room to room (well not until later) but planning out your movements, your course. You had to dig in a certain way, you had to make certain runs, it's an idea that should be carefully looked at because I think if focused more on a semi-survival aspect you have a winning formula. It handles metroidvania aspects fairly adequately otherwise, the upgrades are fun, the bosses are not too special except for the ending bossfight which was a bitch. The soundtrack and graphics were also great.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
And it goes without saying that if you like Steamworld Dig, you'll like Steamworld Dig 2, though it does get a little cheesy in the bonus challenges department.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I actually did play UnEpic years ago, come to think of it.

I quit when it made you run something like six or seven minutes from a distant save point to a very difficult dragon boss, or at least I think it was a dragon. It may even have been from the beginning of an entire stage.

I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Beastro

Arcane
Having to have full hp to use SR I didn't like and thought it was a shitty gimmick, soul reaver 2's implementation I liked much better.

It's a game where you can't die. Taking the wraith blade away like that was a way to punish you for lazy gameplay that still didn't massively disrupt the pace of the game, which was all part of the different ways weapons complimented one another until the end - the environmental hazards and ad hox weapons you grab remain viable until the end because of the wraith blade weakness while the fire reaver and telekinetic shooting with it is restrained by the need to spectral shift in places and find new fires to light the blade with again.

TBH though, the first Blood Omen and Soul Reaver feel more like they're adping Zelda than Medtroid of Castelvania.

The puzzles I guess are ok? But a lot of them are block pushing shit, and they can get tedius at points, especially if you want/need to take a break, then you'd need to find a save point, etc...

I never found the puzzles to be too bad playing through it recently. The only issue is finding a new fast transport spot to cement your progress with, but it isn't too bad if save and quiet before you locate the latest one.

Also, coming from a metroidvania perspective, I thought the upgrades were garbage too. Being able to shift through cages? Ok, NO WAIT! Being able to shift through cages ONLY in the green plane! Ok...
NO WAIT! Being able to shift through cages ONLY in the green plane, BUT we'll mostly use giant metal slabs instead! Ok, gg, best devs ever.

This is where Blood Omen 1 was better, but the load times to inventory to switch made you avoid wanting to fuck too much with your stuff.

SR had a lot of potentiall tbh, I donno why they didn't just add in more cool, perma upgrades? Why not add in an upgrade for raziel to fly for several seconds? Why not add an upgrade to be able to do plane shifting at any point? Why make the cage shifting thing so restrictive? Why make the climbing so restrictive?

1: Because it was a typical early 90s 3D game.

2: They did, but time ran out and they were forced to cut the ending off (which oddly, turned out for the better): http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain:_Soul_Reaver#Cut_content

In the finished game, Raziel can only use the standard Reaver and one elemental enhancement - the Fire Reaver.[SR1] Originally, though, he was to have discovered five further Soul Reaver enhancement forges, each one corresponding to the Glyphs in the final game (Sound, Stone, Sunlight and Water).[81] Furthermore, the most powerful Glyph was removed; the Spirit Glyph, and its accompanying Reaver enhancement.[81][82] All of these Reavers would subsequently be imbued by passing them through or striking the element, in the same fashion as the Fire Reaver is re-imbued in-game.[81] There were also two permanent Reaver enhancements, obtained by imbuing the blade with the souls of specific characters - the Ariel and Amplified (Kain) Reavers.[83][84] The Force Glyph did not have an accompanying Reaver.[81]

One can see they were thinking the same thing when they made SR2, especially with the Wind Reaver and how it enabled more gliding to be in the game.

WTF? How the fuck can you be so wrong?

First, you could always go to the spectral at any place or moment, only the return trip to the material required fairly generously placed portals.
Second, unlimited warping back and forth would break pretty much everything - combat (where it would become an extremely tedious variant of timefreeze plus teleportation, plus healing), puzzles, everyfuckingthing.

I agree with Drax, especially given how there's always a portal nearby to reenter the material world through. Such a mechanic frustrated you, but didn't set you back badly, comapred to Soul Reaver 2 where the specral world isn't used often, and if you die in it you often find yourself having to backtrack quite a bit to reach the nearest portal.

Since these portals were so generous, should have just fucking removed that shit and given you the ability to shift at any point.
Yes, obviously it would fucking break the game if you gave player full freedom with shifting, that's why you have to re-design it somewhat. Also, how would it break combat? You fight a vampire thing, if you lose against it you auto shift to spectral place and then you fill up on hp and shift back... wait a second, that's how they done it!!!!

I don't understand, how is that scene different between the normal SR way or the SR with no shifting restrictions?

To reiterate, you cannot die in the game (which still went to the effect to properly explain why, unlike now). It was annoying but it was supposed to be and to encourage you to grab a nearby physical weapon or environmental vamp killer if you lost patience.

FWIW, the wraith blade has a slow wind up to kill a vamp, that if the vamp came out of a daze, they could easily dodge or another could interrupt, making the spears a good back up to grab and keep with you even if you had max health. The spears remained my primary weapon with the wriath blade being a back up until the reaver could shoot bolts allowing me to by pass most combat from then on.

Having finally finished it recently after doing so last I rented it in '99, I appreciate the almost perfect blending of gameplay mechanics with the story. Everything but the fast travel portals and their odd places in the world are explained while the glyphs and fire reaver aren't meant to be secrets left to discover, so they're not explained.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I actually did play UnEpic years ago, come to think of it.

I quit when it made you run something like six or seven minutes from a distant save point to a very difficult dragon boss, or at least I think it was a dragon. It may even have been from the beginning of an entire stage.

I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Funny, I stopped playing at the same point

Really? PUSSIES. ;)

You're describing the second boss of seven. The first three bosses are not that bothersome. The real troubles start with the fourth boss, the one that requires a very special character build and preferably that you have dropped off many items from your inventory or he uses them against you.

I quit on the seventh boss (a giant floating head with a death stare) because he requires a similarly specific bullshitty character build.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's not about the fight, it's about the retardedly long boss run. There are far more difficult optional bosses in Hollow Knight, and I beat several of those.

There are probably other details I've forgotten because it's been going on a decade since I played it. What stuck in my mind was that thing that was so annoying it caused me to drop the game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Anyone who mentoins Dark Souls in a video game design conversation is automatically wrong and has just shown they don't know shit.

DraQ

Arcane
While I agree about Hollow Knight setting the bar for the genre, I think you're wrong about mediocre stuff not having value. That's kind of like arguing that a 9/10 comedian isn't worth watching because you saw a 10/10 comedian and therefore don't want to waste your time. Novelty is a good thing.
There is also the thing that a game belonging to a specific genre might be a great game despite not being a great part of its genre.

Depending on your opinion on its value as metroidvania I might or might not have been referring to Ori here.
In any case do grab it if you haven't already.

DraQ

Arcane
FWIW, the wraith blade has a slow wind up to kill a vamp, that if the vamp came out of a daze, they could easily dodge or another could interrupt, making the spears a good back up to grab and keep with you even if you had max health. The spears remained my primary weapon with the wriath blade being a back up until the reaver could shoot bolts allowing me to by pass most combat from then on.
Unless augmented with TK and imbued with fire, the Reaver also can't snipe vamps dead from a distance.
Thrown staves/spears/stakes can.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Rather, it's the fact that anything you might mention DS for was already done by (better) games beforehand... hence there is no need to ever mention DS. It shows you're a johnny-come-lately to the conversation without a broad range of reference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom