Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Any UI scaling mods for Sin: Gold?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Got the knewl update on Steam, everything runs well but it seems Nightdive forgot to add a scaler for the UI. At 1400p, everything is way too tiny. Wondering if there was a mod there to fix this as aside from that everything seems playable out of the box now.

schru

Arcane
If NightDive's version still has compatible renderers (Glide or DirectX up to 9), it can be done with the help of dgVoodoo. Download it here: http://www.dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html (below the ‘Latest stable version’).

From the downloaded archive put dgVoodoo.conf, dgVoodooCpl.exe to the game's main directory with the executable file; then add the contents of the 3Dfx\x86\ folder (without the Napalm folder) and MS\x86\.

Run dgVoodooCpl, in the first tab, see if the ‘Config folder / Running instance’ has the location of the game's directory, if not, press .\ to the right of it.

Still in the first tab, change the scaling mode to ‘Stretched, 4:3 Aspect Ratio’ (I don't know NightDive's modifications enable proper wide-screen and it would probably make some cutscenes look bad anyway) (the ‘CRT-like’ is a shader, it looks pretty good).

In the Glide tab, set the resolution to ‘Max’; ‘Enable Glide Gamma Ramp’ should be enabled; disable ‘3Dfx Watermark’ (it's useful in testing if the wrapper works at all); (Voodoo 2 should be the default selection as the card).

In the DirectX tab, if at all applicable, set the resolution to Max and disable the watermark; the card should be fine either as virtual 3D or GeForce 4.

Launch the game, try to set it to run with the Glide renderer (whatever it might be called), and set the resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 (the scaling of the menu should indicate which one was the default). If dgVoodoo is working, you will have the UI scaled up, preserving the proportions it had at those lower resolutions, while playing at the highest 4:3 resolution your monitor can render. The CRT shader is useful in that it smooths things out a bit since LCDs make the graphics look sharper.

I don't think the game had a DirectX renderer, but if it does, then you could try it too. You'd just need to put in the contents of MS\x86\ in the game's directory and change the settings for DirectX.

If this solution works, you can also enable the dithering effect that games used to have, though I'm not sure if Sin still had 16-bit graphics. Open dgVoodoo.conf in the Notepad and find two instances of ‘DitheringEffect’. In the first one change pure32bit to dither2x2, in the second instance, change it to ordered2x2.

If the game doesn't have the right renderers, you could still use this method with the older version. It's also good for dealing with the UI in just about every other older game and using the Glide renderer usually produces better visuals.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, doesn't seem like the game picks up the program at all, and i don't have an older version to try it on since the gold update replaced the old game i had on steam. Bleh. Unsure if play it like this or wait until Nightdive decides to add a UI scaling option, but from what i saw they are the kind of company that usually doesn't give a shit.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
I guess it's running on OpenGL and some new version of DirectX now, so dgVoodoo isn't going to work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom