Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News AoD demo released

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests said:
I typed a long name for the savegame and it crashed after a window message, must be a bug(texture holding out of balance). Problem is now i can't access savegames, it keeps saying that line. Where are the savegames located, so i can delete the bad one?

My Documents/My Games/Age of Decadence

Elhoim said:
I typed a long name for the savegame and it crashed after a window message, must be a bug(texture holding out of balance). Problem is now i can't access savegames, it keeps saying that line. Where are the savegames located, so i can delete the bad one?

My Documents/My Games/Age of Decadence

You are so the man.
Thank you for your co-operation(ref).

I suggest decreasing the default animation speed. At 3 & 1/2 returns more realism and FEEL of the character.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
youhomofo said:
Anyone else give spears a try? Anyone else find all but the basic variety useless?

Spears have reach. Awesome. Except I can't attack enemies up close. Well, since most enemies have to be one square away to hit me that means I have to continuously back up in order to hit them. Which means they get to take free strikes at me all day.

Am I missing something or are they utterly useless weapons?
After 6 months of balancing the combat system I can assure you that no weapon and no attack is useless.

Zomg

Arbiter
Melcar said:
You just have to move around a lot. The best is to position yourself diagonally to your target, that way you are far enough to attack, and close enough for them to attack so you can dodge/counter.

Just finished the demo with a spearman. With 270 in dodge none of the six guards could touch me, and 180 in spears guaranteed me an opportunity strike (I was basically getting two free strikes every time they moved towards me).

Try doing a dodge build with like a 2-h hammer (or axe/sword) guy, that was definitely the most retardedly strong build I tried. He beat the inn fight only having lost like 5 hp. The AI is not designed to fight people who have much higher block or dodge than they have attack - they just spam fast attacks which you'll easily block/dodge and counter, which with a 2-hander is like getting dozens of free AP worth of counterattacks a round if you're surrounded, each one doing around 25 damage before armor. The free spear pokes don't really get so much out of exploiting the AI (well, except that you can walk diagonally to reach a 2-h spear guy without giving him a chance to poke, but the AI doesn't do it on purpose).

I think the big downside of a dodge build in the game would be poor critical defense, but the demo gives you several excellent 100+ crit defense armors with very low dodge penalties and high max AP.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Spears are actually my favourite weapons for the interrupts you get when enemies approach you.
I love how every weapon class has its own playstyle.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Btw, on the subject of profanity, I'd also add a vote for changing it a bit, but not because it feels 'teh insulting', but because I found it to be a bit... non-varied. What I mean is, sometimes a sentence with just brutalisms and colloquialisms can be a lot more intimidating and insulting than a truckload of 'FUCK FUCK FUCK!!1'. The abusing of 'fuck' was especially iffy in one of the demo's endings: 'The champion of the fucking arena? He's gotta be fucking kidding!'. I also thought 'I'm gonna fuck you up' in combat was cheap and silly - stuff like 'I'm gonna piss on your grave', even if cliche, is, I think, helluva better.

Also, +++ racism. Instead of saying 'I bought two fucking Ordu!', the arena master might as well say 'I bought two unwashed Ordu gooks'.

youhomofo

Augur
I don't mind profanity, but I do agree that fuck is used entirely too much. Surely something more colorful can be thought up.

oh, and anyone else crashing when they try to load saved games? I can't get far into the game because my save files keep going bad.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's fixed (and many other issues). Your saves aren't really corrupted (the screenshot in the save is), so the new build will be able to load them.

Melcar

Arcane
I was wondering why saves didn't have screenshots anymore. Any plan on reimplementing it? It looks rather dull like that, although it does do wonders to keep with the hardcore oldschool presentation of the game :) .

youhomofo

Augur
By the way, VD, though I'm being a little critical I have to say this game excites me more than any AAA title in the last ten years. Bugs aside, the demo shows enormous potential. Kudos for not regurgitating more standard fantasy rubbish.

Vault Dweller

Developer
youhomofo said:
By the way, VD, though I'm being a little critical I have to say this game excites me more than any AAA title in the last ten years. Bugs aside, the demo shows enormous potential. Kudos for not regurgitating more standard fantasy rubbish.
Thanks. I'm glad that most people like it and find it enjoyable.

fucking hell, i can't defeat the two ordu boys. Defo need potions. Is there any, around the map?
There are healing balms in the game but they can't be used in combat, which is why we didn't include them in the demo. Overall, we're pretty much against saving and/or healing in the middle of combat.

Vault Dweller said:
youhomofo said:

fucking hell, i can't defeat the two ordu boys. Defo need potions. Is there any, around the map?
There are healing balms in the game but they can't be used in combat, which is why we didn't include them in the demo. Overall, we're pretty much against saving and/or healing in the middle of combat.

Well i agree. But i find myself stuck in that fight since, well, 4 hours now.

edit. nevermind, hopefully the entangling net will disentangle me of the empasse.

Vault Dweller

Developer
What seems to be the problem? What character are you playing and what's your strategy for the fight?

Melcar

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
youhomofo said:

Well i agree. But i find myself stuck in that fight since, well, 4 hours now.

It mostly comes down to planing your skill point allocation carefully. It sucks in the regard that you don't have that much liberty of choice, but it's a combat demo after all. Remember that you also got tactics you can exploit; called shots with ranged weapons, or moving around and using the grid to your advantage. Running up to the target and attacking isn't always the best choice, especially if you got a less than optimal character build.
An effective plan is to build your weapon skill around 100-130 points and then pump your secondary skill until you get to 180 or so. Defense is a much better investment in the demo.

Vault Dweller

Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... l#msg41015

I killed the Ordu with a blocker (120 in Block and 3 skill allocation: sword, block, critical strike). Charged the archer, which forced him to fall back, which gave me some attacks of opportunity. The archer was somewhat hard to hit (dodger), but his DR is low and doesn't last long. His buddy is tougher but isn't that much of a problem without ranged support.

Vault Dweller said:
What seems to be the problem? What character are you playing and what's your strategy for the fight?

Well im not a powerplayer and naturally i assume your brilliant game isn't meant to be played that way, there's no need for a DIABLO style optimized character to overcome the situations. Just wits.

I just put most of the points in hammer.

The archer/swordsman combo keeps crushing me like a worm, Vince.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I just put most of the points in hammer.
How many is "most" and where did the rest go? I'm just trying to understand why you're having difficulties.

The archer/swordsman combo keeps crushing me like a worm, Vince.
More specifically?

Zomg

Arbiter
Well im not a powerplayer and naturally i assume your brilliant game isn't meant to be played that way, there's no need for a DIABLO style optimized character to overcome the situations. Just wits.

No, the combat demo is definitely an autism jerk off session. To its credit you can do a little bit at the margins (My first character got very tricky, aimed shots, knockdowns, etc.) and a lot of different austically-sound builds work, but ultimately your character is either the millstone or the corn depending on where you stick the points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom