Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Arcania: Gothic 4 – Theatre of the Absurd

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2002
Messages
28,371
Tags: Gothic 4: Arcania; JoWood Productions; Spellbound

Darth Roxor tells us all how much he enjoyed Gothic: Arcanum IV - Spellbound's Magical Scrotum. In his review he talks about the game' deep sense of immersion:

That's right. The whole game is, basically, a linear progression through a handful of extremely small and hideously closed areas. Each time you want to advance from one section to another, you have to do all main quest-related tasks to remove the obstacles that block your path. These obstacles often feel half-arsed and could have been easily omitted, but alas. For instance, to travel from the city of Stewark to the Valley of Blood (bonus points for the very original name), you have to obtain permission from the duke. Okay, fine. But the whole checkpoint leading to the valley is just a shoddy wooden gate with a trapdoor and one guard. Why exactly can't I just knock the guard out and proceed anyway? Just because. There's no sense in asking yourself 'why?' while playing this game. In the magical, mystical lands of Argaan, things rarely make sense. And it wouldn't be so glaringly bad if it happened only once, but no, it's abused all the time. Also, there are so many artificial barriers blocking you from going further that it's ridiculous. Every section is surrounded by an impenetrable mountain range and some auxiliary roads leading out that are always blocked. Another funny thing is, you also never return to the sections you've previously unlocked. Just forget about them and move on, citizen.​

... improvements the game has made over Oblivion:

I know it often seems far-fetched to call something 'worse than Oblivion', but I think this game has done it.​

... the highly enjoyable role-playing aspects:

Thanks to the 'interface elements', you can make this game 100% idiot-friendly. Minimap? Check. Quest compass? Check. Flashing weapon telling you when to click? Check. Roleplay activities? Che... wait, what are roleplaying activities? These, gentle readers, are all sorts of things that you can use to LARP the night away, as they don't influence the game in any way.​

... and even the meaning behind the game's title itself, buried deep within the game's lore:

And I still have no idea as to why, exactly, it's called 'Arcania'...​

In the end he enjoyed it immensely and recommends you should all pick yourselves up a copy. 5 stars.
 

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
37,267
Location
Seattle, WA USA
MCA
Jebus Chris Darth Roxor, I feel so sad for your sanity for subjecting yourself to play this piece of shit.

Thank you good sir.
 

lightbane

Arcane
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
10,248
*Reads the review, sees the images of bugs and shitty writing*

:lol: :lol: Dear God, it really looks terrible. Obviously, "professional reviewers" of course ignored the bugs/briefly mentioned them and yet NV is being mercilessly bashed for these... Now someone has to do the lp so we can see how really shitty it is.

PS: Random question: If I recall correctly back in Gothic 1-2 you could buy/find some herbs that your character could smoke to gain a minimal bonus or just for fun. Are these here too?
 

made

Arcane
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
5,130
Location
Germany
Morgoth said:
Can Jowood finally die now?
Most likely. The game reportedly sold 30k copies in Großdeutschland in its first week, which is abysmal for a Gothic title. Guess the foray into the casual market didn't work out after all.

Nice review btw, Darth. Your sacrifice is greatly appreciated.
 

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
4,299
Darth Roxor said:
Jaesun said:
Jebus Chris Darth Roxor, I feel so sad for your sanity for subjecting yourself to play this piece of shit.

BRO, WHAT YOU TALKIN' ABOUT, I FEEL BETETR THAN EVER?????
Then you wouldn't mind playing it again and doing an LP? :smug:

made said:
Morgoth said:
Can Jowood finally die now?
Most likely. The game reportedly sold 30k copies in Großdeutschland in its first week, which is abysmal for a Gothic title. Guess the foray into the casual market didn't work out after all.

Nice review btw, Darth. Your sacrifice is greatly appreciated.
Game was universally panned in Europe. Europeans can not into casual gaming and all that.
 

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
1,878,582
Location
Djibouti
lightbane said:
PS: Random question: If I recall correctly back in Gothic 1-2 you could buy/find some herbs that your character could smoke to gain a minimal bonus or just for fun. Are these here too?

Nope. While swampweed is referenced once or twice, you can't get your hands on it.

Although there are a few waterpipes here and there, they are a 'roleplaying activity'.
 

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,392
Thanks for the great review. When someone asks me why I'm not interested in modern RPGs and this one in particular I can just refer them to this link.

Of course they still won't get it but it saves me time trying to explain the basics.

I too thought it would be abysmal but didn't realize we haven't hit bottom yet.

One day someone will make an RPG that is fun to play. One day.
 

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
14,118
Location
New Vegas
The limited exploration and small zones is what gets me the most... sure, the lacking quests, story, RPG elements and combat is terrible and makes the game an abomination regardless, but if it at least had a nice open world to explore I would still enjoy it on some level.

Yet it doesn't. Truly a travesty.
 

Murk

Arcane
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
13,459
^ Same. I would have been willing to put up with absolute idiocy in every capacity if I had a decent world to explore, like I did with G3.

Alas indeed ;(
 

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
16,320
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's called arkania to mooch off of the Realms of Arkania series, that was especially popular in germany.
 

Tycn

Savant
Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
1,852
Location
Prosper Land
Why spend 15 hours on something you don't enjoy and aren't getting paid for? Good review but that disturbs me a little.
 

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
37,267
Location
Seattle, WA USA
MCA
Volrath said:
Darth Roxor said:
Jaesun said:
Jebus Chris Darth Roxor, I feel so sad for your sanity for subjecting yourself to play this piece of shit.

BRO, WHAT YOU TALKIN' ABOUT, I FEEL BETETR THAN EVER?????
Then you wouldn't mind playing it again and doing an LP? :smug:

You know what is sad? This game is SO bad, and 100% guaranteed lulz, but no one will do a LP of it. IT'S THAT BAD.
 

made

Arcane
Joined
Dec 18, 2006
Messages
5,130
Location
Germany
Volrath said:
Europeans can not into casual gaming and all that.
More like: Europa - the last bastion of real hardcore RPGs like Gothic and Witcher, amirite?
 

Silellak

Cipher
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
3,198
Location
Tucson, AZ
Bravo, sir.
kane_clap.gif


Jaesun said:
This game is SO bad, and 100% guaranteed lulz, but no one will do a LP of it. IT'S THAT BAD.
Pussies. If I can do Ultima 7 on the SNES, they can do Arcania.
 

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
1,865,249
Location
Where one can weep in peace
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Volrath said:
Darth Roxor said:
Jaesun said:
Jebus Chris Darth Roxor, I feel so sad for your sanity for subjecting yourself to play this piece of shit.

BRO, WHAT YOU TALKIN' ABOUT, I FEEL BETETR THAN EVER?????
Then you wouldn't mind playing it again and doing an LP? :smug:

You know what is sad? This game is SO bad, and 100% guaranteed lulz, but no one will do a LP of it. IT'S THAT BAD.

Well I'd give a go but SKIDROW hasn't come out with a crack for the performance patch yet.
 

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Joined
May 14, 2004
Messages
37,267
Location
Seattle, WA USA
MCA
commie said:
Jaesun said:
Volrath said:
Darth Roxor said:
Jaesun said:
Jebus Chris Darth Roxor, I feel so sad for your sanity for subjecting yourself to play this piece of shit.

BRO, WHAT YOU TALKIN' ABOUT, I FEEL BETETR THAN EVER?????
Then you wouldn't mind playing it again and doing an LP? :smug:

You know what is sad? This game is SO bad, and 100% guaranteed lulz, but no one will do a LP of it. IT'S THAT BAD.

Well I'd give a go but SKIDROW hasn't come out with a crack for the performance patch yet.

So basically it is SO bad SKIDROW wont bother to do a cracked patch? ;)

EDIT: And dude! You would be a real BRO if you did do a LP. :bro:
 

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom