Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcania: Gothic 4 Demo Released

Mortmal

Arcane
Torrent it, its way faster. Yes i know its a surprise but you can even use it for legal things.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
70% dloaded after 3 and a half hours... Guess I should have went for the torrent too :/

Wulfstand

Prophet
Ogg said:
Wulfstand said:
Edit: forgot about the ! quest marks and the mini-map with quest helpers.
In a Gothic game? Come on!

Well, as for the minimap, it only points out quest objectives if you're near them, drawing a small circle on the map. If you're far away from your objective, one of the four pointers becomes red, giving you an idea as to where you should be going.

lordfrikk

Scholar
The combat is by far the most dumbed down I've encountered. The enemy does nothing, I just keep clicking my finger off and wait until the "strong-attack-incoming" animation starts, roll to the side and keep on clicking. That's about it.

I'll upload 20 mins from the demo for those who cba to actually download and play it.

Achilles

Arcane
Ok, about a couple of things that were mentioned here:

1) You can turn off quest markers and the minimap. I played the demo without them and I had no problems finding the quest location, since the journal gives you sufficient information.

2) If you up the difficulty to Hard, enemy attacks are faster and you don't have as much time to react. I can see combat being quite fun on "Gothic" difficulty level, but it is disabled for the demo.

3) I think the red pointer indicates the north, not the way you should be going. I did have the quest helpers disabled though, so maybe it's different with those enabled.

Mortmal

Arcane
I just finished the demo, first thing striking me is the tecnical requirements are bull shit, it runs perfectly fine at highest settings on my 4 year old core duo (E6600) , the landscape and graphics, the monsters models are gorgeous, the light very well done, one hlarious setting is you can have an european mode with normal colors and an USA one with lashy colors.

Now when it comes to gameplay, i dont think i ever seen an easier combat system in all my life of gaming, click click click kill, WARNING MONSTER IS CHARGING ATTACK IN 5 SEC HE WILL STRIKE WARNING YOU HAVE TO DODGE WARNING *GREEN LIGHT* then click click click finish.

The choices and consequeces so far are inexistant, not even two ways to finish a quest, its ultra linear, they hold you by the hand for very simplistic quest given by npc with very short dialogue , few words, short sentences in big fonts like this! *sigh*its a few notch under oblivion.

So i appreciate the big fonts its clearly aimed at old people with alzheimers who cant read the screen anymore and cant handle anything more complex that fetching 6 mushrooms.

Technically this game seems perfect, no bug, no slow down, but all of this kinda reminds me of drakensang with childish cliché plot.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Just my 2 cents about optimization and minimum requirements. It is horrendous! And the minimum specs are actually spot on.
I have low end laptop for todays standards: C2D 1.86 GHz, GF 8600M GT, 4GB RAM and it is unplayable on the lowest settings.
I mean I didn't expect much, but Risen was working okeyish on mid settings, same for any other modern games like DA, ME2, F3 etc.
Well, but I will not cry for this game. I suppose it is shit anyway.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Darth Roxor said:
Downloading now. Time to engage some rage :salute:
If you end up playing this all the way, a review from you would be very welcome, especially one that includes comparisons with Risen and what each game does better.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1st person would be great for archery.

And magic fucking sucks. What's the point of even having it in the game if it's gonna suck?

Deleted member 7219

I'm about an hour in. So far, I'm quite impressed. The menus feel very smooth and professionally done. Lots of options to choose from. The graphics aren't great but they are adequate, they actually feel very Risen-ish. There is some good detailing in the faces. It seems to be running smoothly too, my machine is a quad-core but the graphics card is a few years old, so I was expecting to have to turn a few of the eye-candy options off, but I didn't have to in the end. The writing and voice-acting are suitably lulzy for a European game. Combat is fine by me, none of that stupid stunlock from Gothic 3, but it isn't as tactical as Risen; in that game you had to block and dodge a lot. Maybe you will have to in this one later on but so far I've just been slashing away at goblins with little regard for my health. Auto-lock on the bow makes it even easier.

Alexandros said:
2) If you up the difficulty to Hard, enemy attacks are faster and you don't have as much time to react. I can see combat being quite fun on "Gothic" difficulty level, but it is disabled for the demo.

Can someone else confirm this? If so its an interesting balancing decision. It sounds a lot better then simply attaching damage multipliers to difficulties.

Disabling the highest difficulty for the demo is :retarded: though.

Deleted member 7219

I've got a bit further in, I'm really liking it now. The 2-handed sword animations are really good. Haven't seen combat look this smooth in an RPG since The Witcher. I think I will buy the full game when it comes out, although I will try it at a harder difficulty setting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So suddenly combat is good and animations are good== OMG GRETAST RPG EVAR! I WILL BUY IT!

I now see why 1eyedking has lost his mind..

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's also why some people think The Witcher had good combat and is a good RPG.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Overweight Manatee said:
Alexandros said:

Can someone else confirm this? If so its an interesting balancing decision. It sounds a lot better then simply attaching damage multipliers to difficulties.

Disabling the highest difficulty for the demo is :retarded: though.

It's true, but there's still plenty of time to dodge. The combat's still pretty easy even on hard.

Deleted member 7219

Jaesun said:
So suddenly combat is good and animations are good== OMG GRETAST RPG EVAR! I WILL BUY IT!

I now see why 1eyedking has lost his mind..

Err, actually it wasn't just combat and animations that swayed my view of the game, as you would know if you had read my earlier post. I enjoyed the demo, therefore I presume I will enjoy the game, that is why I will buy it. I haven't said anything about it being the greatest RPG ever.

Deleted member 7219

Also, how dare you judge me for laying some money down for a game I want to play? I could just pirate it like the rest of you fucks, but I want to see the companies who make good games stay in business.

Monocause

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Also, how dare you judge me for laying some money down for a game I want to play? I could just pirate it like the rest of you fucks, but I want to see the companies who make good games stay in business.

You are not allowed to enjoy or praise games on this forum. Any games. It says so in the unwritten rules that whenever you do one of the aforementioned you're a fucking piss-drinking shit-eating moron who should burn in hell along with his fucking mother.

Anyway, tried the demo and it's nice. Waiting for the full game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Monocause said:
Matt7895 said:

You are not allowed to enjoy or praise games on this forum. Any games. It says so in the unwritten rules that whenever you do one of the aforementioned you're a fucking piss-drinking shit-eating moron who should burn in hell along with his fucking mother.

Anyway, tried the demo and it's nice. Waiting for the full game.

I am happy you enjoy it, i envy you. Myyself i could make a big list of things i find wrong just with the demo, but no point.I guess i am getting too old for games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom