Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arcania: Gothic 4 Demo Released

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was really baffled what this all had to do with the Angry Video Game Nerd, when I noticed...

Deleted member 7219

Gotta laugh at the people whining about the exclamation marks. You can turn them off in the options menu; it isn't hard.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How about the rest of the complaints? Do you laugh at those too?

I like to see you laughing.

WalterKinde

Scholar
from watching the youtube vids linked in this thread this game is going to get a pass from me on release day, i'll probably pick it up when it hits the bargin bin depending on what type of drm it ships with.
Its just a demo so i'll ignore the game mechanic foibles like the invisible walls/barriers and not being able to walk in water/swim but the quests, dialogue and font size arent selling me on the game itself plus the fact the hero of the first three gothic games is going to be the villain of this game just doesnt sit right with me.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I managed to run it. And frankly, it runs flawlessly on my modest rig. The quests and dialogues are worse than in Sacred, though (and you have to listen to the voiceovers because there are seem to be no subtitles); generally, the game plays like simplified Sacred in beautiful 3d.

One of the sad things is the "Roleplaying activities" option you can toggle: it regards, quoting from memory, "using things with no influence on gameplay, like beds or cauldrons". Goddamn.

Mortmal

Arcane
Elwro said:
AVG says there's a virus in the torrent from Gamer Shell. It's supposedly in dfa.dll after the installation. Hm.

...I'll just disable AVG, I'm that edgy.

edit: On my machine the demo simply crashes on startup, without any error messages. Way to go, JoWood.
I got a crash at first startup too, it said it wa missing some DLL, relaunchig it without changing anything worked, no idea why.
You are not missing that much anyway, twinfall said fable meet zelda, but thats no true, zelda twilight princes was grimdark compare to arcania demo.I think its just targeted at a very young audience 7-12, i am not kidding.

Phelot

Arcane
Jaesun said:
jesus chris... phelot

Does it also have The Ancient Evil™ as well?

:lol: So far the point of the game is to marry "The Girl of my Dreams!" I stopped playing after getting her the ring and was told to be a bitch and run and tell Diego that she wants to go to some place that starts with an "A"

And yeah, I forgot to mention that the dialogue was bad. Honestly though I wasn't expecting much anyway so...

I had extremely low expectations for this game and for the most part those expectations have been met though with a few exceptions which I think I mentioned. I'm not dishing out $50 for this game, but I'd probably be interested in picking it up when there's a bargain... yeah that's how bad games are right now that I have to play shit games that aren't as shitty as most...

Now normally I'd be raging because I'm a strict believer that a game should be judged harshly, but praised for their merits and this game has few merits to say the least. Maybe it's because Jowood hasn't made me eternally butthurt like some here, but I just can't rage that much towards them as I would to say Bioware. I expect a lot from Bioware and I've been disappointed since BG2. BUt not so with JoWood. To me, Jowood is like a retarded kid cooking for you: He burns himself, he makes a fool out of himself, and the food is horrible, but that's what you expected. Bioware is like a top chef that acts all cocky, takes a shit on a plate and tells you to "eat up"

PS: You can turn off the disappearing foliage in the settings.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The demo is fucking awful (for all the reasons mentioned by Twinfalls, phelot, and Roxor). I'm slowly replaying Gothic 2 at the moment and the difference is huge.

lordfrikk

Scholar
I agree, phelot, I have't had high expectations from G4 since the moment they started announcing some funny changes + the G3 fiasco. I have to say that the game is pretty well optimized and until you start speaking to someone or do anything in the world it resembles the old Gothic games (i.e. 1-2). But the combat, oh holy heavens... how could anyone in their right mind consider it fleshed out and fun is beyond me.

Deleted member 7219

FeelTheRads said:
How about the rest of the complaints? Do you laugh at those too?

I like to see you laughing.

Most of the other complaints are quite valid. The writing and dialogue ARE bad, but for fucks sake this is a GOTHIC game. They've all sucked in that regard. But still, it is a good criticism to make. RPGs have moved on a lot in the past few years and Gothic 4 shouldn't have a special pass.

I will still laugh at butthurt little whines about quest arrows and trees, which you can turn off quite easily in the options menu.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Matt7895 said:
The writing and dialogue ARE bad, but for fucks sake this is a GOTHIC game. They've all sucked in that regard.

No. Gothic dialogues may not have been high brow philosophical wankery, but they were all cool. They were often sarcastic, witty and with a certain sparkle. Even at their worst, they weren't as motherfucking cringeworthy as the thing I quoted in my post or the dialogue when you're sent by the orc to fetch 'shrooms or the dialogues with Ivy's father, who changes from a pain-in-the-arse in-law to a merry daddy.

Phelot

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Matt7895 said:
The writing and dialogue ARE bad, but for fucks sake this is a GOTHIC game. They've all sucked in that regard.

No. Gothic dialogues may not have been high brow philosophical wankery, but they were all cool. They were often sarcastic, witty and with a certain sparkle. Even at their worst, they weren't as motherfucking cringeworthy as the thing I quoted in my post or the dialogue when you're sent by the orc to fetch 'shrooms or the dialogues with Ivy's father, who changes from a pain-in-the-arse in-law to a merry daddy.

I just loved how the entire just waits for the hero to come around, like when you deliver Diegos machete to the dad, he mentions getting a ring and just who happens to be blocking the fucking door out? Why it's the metal smith that can just happen to help you with the ring! Same goes for the orc that blocks the entrance back into town after you get the mushrooms.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
phelot said:
PS: You can turn off the disappearing foliage in the settings.

Yeah I noticed that and turned it off right away, but there's still noticeable popup anyway. At least Oblivion had options for that kind of thing.

Yes, we are now defending Oblivion.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
phelot said:
I just loved how the entire just waits for the hero to come around, like when you deliver Diegos machete to the dad, he mentions getting a ring and just who happens to be blocking the fucking door out? Why it's the metal smith that can just happen to help you with the ring! Same goes for the orc that blocks the entrance back into town after you get the mushrooms.

The orc is understandable since he was hungry and couldn't wait to get them.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Crispy said:
Yes, we are now defending Oblivion.
2a5j9zc.jpg

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I can kill the sheep but can't kick them off the cliff. Not buying/downoading/removing, etc. Why did they have dialog with only one choice? Why not just continue the cutscene? Dialog option: END. Who designs this stuff?

Ruprekt

Scholar
Minimalist dialogue:

Hemingway > Gothic/Risen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to infinity >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ArcaniA

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
This game is a prime example of why companies are afraid of pre-release demos.

I came, I whacked some sheep, I quit. Dialog *is* really godawful. So bad that the more of the demo I played the less I could stomach the thought of enduring it for the full game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom