Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum High Resolution Patch Version 1.5 Release

Melcar

Arcane

Melcar

Arcane
Kubuntu 17.04 Wine Staging 2.10
The previous version of the patch works fine (1.1a I think it is).
Try running the commands from the BAT file directly? As in, copy paste them to bash.

Will try that this weekend when I fire up the machine.
The file runs. It's just when it tries to apply the changes that it errors out (not a Wine error, but an error with the .bat file).

doomdoging

Barely Literate
im having a issue with this mode once installed. on the char screen the words and numbers for my stats are all in the wrong place. and some don't even appear for the most part they appear to the lower right of where they should be. what have i done wrong? (note i can't seem to be able to take a screenshot of it)

Donkerman

Novice
Haven't played this game before, mostly because all I hear is shitty combat. I do like a good story in my RPG, but combat should be decent. Now with these mods the game looks very pretty. Will I enjoy this? Is it worth it?

depends on what you mean by shitty combat.

Even if it is considered flawed by many players, to me it's both enjoyable and frustrating. I guess people get annoyed by the fact that there is no medium, you are simply strong enough or too weak to go through encounters, especially in real time combat. Also, most of the xp comes from combat (both from you hitting stuff, netting a xp gain based on the percentage of health you were able to zap with your own character) and a final xp gain right after killing someone.

Donkerman

Novice
Apparently its some weird mix between RT and TB combat, where you switch between either mode. I enjoy TB combat much more than RT so I will use the TB option. So what is actually wrong with the TB combat? Is it so much easier than the RT combat. Is it at least normal TB combat that you would expect in a game like JA, with movement points and optional atacks, etc.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's terrible, to be honest. Imagine Fallout 1/2 combat and take away everything that made it fun. It's really that, F1/2 combat without critical tables, fatality animations, aimed shots and special attacks. And without the awesome arsenal.

Plus gameplay balance is broken beyond hope. On both paths - Arcane and Technology, there are spells/artifacts/blueprints that will make you into a walking god. Exploding Axe pretty much one-shots any enemy. And with high Technology aptitude you become pretty much immune to magic.
Magick is probably even more broken though. With Temporal magic you can have 40+ AP (rather then the usual 10 AP). There are some artifact swords which cost 2AP to use for a magicka attuned character... You can run circles around enemies and slaughter them without any chance to react. Or you can simply Harm them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I stand corrected. Guess I focused too much on melee. Which was clearly superior.
However head, arms or legs isn't a lot of choice. And I don't think they make quite the impact they did in Fallout. Even though this list is interesting.

Parabalus

Arcane
Playing ranged combat char in RT Arcanum is pretty satisfying, it's hard to keep your mouse on the enemy with how fast they move. You just hold down RMB and everything dies. Dunno why anyone would suffer through TB, RT is at least over quickly.

Haplo
There are aimed shots in Arcanum. And combat isn't that bad, just be sure to avoid any walkthroughs/tips from other players Donkerman and just play however you like.

Hilarious, had no idea those existed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
sup drog.

Playing ranged combat char in RT Arcanum is pretty satisfying, it's hard to keep your mouse on the enemy with how fast they move. You just hold down RMB and everything dies. Dunno why anyone would suffer through TB, RT is at least over quickly.

Because TB is the proper way to play a RPG, cRPG or jRPG.

Donkerman

Novice
I'll give it a go. At least everyone seems to think the story is good. It also looks like an interesting world.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The world building is excellent. And actually so is character building and development. But combat, ehhh....

Let's just say that PS:T combat is stellar next to Arcanum combat.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
He's exaggerating and there are many ways to skip combat (the easiest being by playing in real time and fleeing from combat).

Rhamnetin

Barely Literate
I can't get this to run above 1920 x 1080 windowed on Windows 7 64-bit. Fullscreen crashes and 2560 x 1440 seems a lost cause. I've used all compatibility settings and I've tweaked the main settings in config.ini

Melcar

Arcane
Got it installed finally. Wine Stagging 2.11 and the patch install fine. Seems to work alright with no apparent issues so far (2560x1440). Did have to fall back to software renderer. With hardware rendering I was getting screen cuts and graphical glitches whenever I would pan the viewing area.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom