Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum High Resolution Patch Version 1.5 Release

Latelistener

Arcane
OpenXcom has different scaling options and various filters to play with (including those that mimicking CRT): https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Video_Options_(OpenXcom)

maxresdefault.jpg

index.php

Yrvyne

Novice
Should another version be in the works, I suggest that the followers' column make use of all real estate.

The below screenshot only shows 6 out of 7 followers.

7th follower is visible on clicking on green downward arrow.

2sOkLJQ.png

elias gusta

Barely Literate
ZfNqwpt.png

no idea what my chances are of setting my prefferred arcanum resolution but here goes
-installed gog version with latest UAP
-ddraw fix (copied ddraw, libwine, wined3d) to game directory
-installed highres 1.1a will explain below why not 1.5
-added target -window -no3d -doublebuffer and running maximized

I want these settings because I want to play 1024*768 stretched in window mode.
Anything higher feels too zoomed out and as I played the game in 800*600 in the past this is the closest resolution that I like.
I tried several ways to set this in 1.5 but it won't go stretched even with other resizing software. There is no way to resize the game window.

My problem with my settings above is that the lower part of the screen won't display proper, not the interface bar nor the textures on the left and right.
Not sure why only that part is affected, everything else is ok. There must be a way to implement window resize in 1.5 or fix this for 1.1 but I don't know how hard it would be.

edit: after some googling, it seems that the compact UI setting causes the graphical display errors on the UI bar

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Someone explain this to me. I'm running Linux and have Arcanum GOG installed + UAP + HQ Towmaps + Original OST (Lossless) + HighRes 1.5. When I set renderer to "hardware" in config.ini I get graphical glitches when panning the view unless I add a dll override for ddraw.dll (setting it to "native, builtin"), which is apparently what I want to do since HighRes 1.5 comes with its own ddraw.dll. The problem is that doing so adversely affects performance and renders the game unplayable (I'm getting ~10fps), so I have to remove the override and set renderer to "software", and only then I get acceptable framerate without noticeable glitches (the patch itself seems to remain effectual in this case). So how do I do it correctly? My wine version is 4.14.

Also, am I mistaken or HighRes has not the ability to preserve the original resolution while also maintaining the correct aspect ratio? I mean, the picture becomes stretched when I set resolution to 800x600 in config.ini.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
Also, am I mistaken or HighRes has not the ability to preserve the original resolution while also maintaining the correct aspect ratio? I mean, the picture becomes stretched when I set resolution to 800x600 in config.ini.
If I understand correctly what you're asking, it's your monitor that should preserve the aspect ratio with black bars on each side.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
OK looks like I needn't (and shouldn't, since the game does not even launch with it - the description in my previous comment was incorrect) use the ddraw.dll provided by HighRes 1.5 (which is actually DDrawCompat, a wrapper for DirectDraw, it's only useful for native Windows installs) because I'm on Linux and wine kind of implements its own version of the DirectDraw lib. Also there is a ddraw.dll in the game's directory right after you install it (GOG version), apparently it can also be discarded (using wine's builtin ddraw.dll) since it's the one causing performance issues.

If I understand correctly what you're asking, it's your monitor that should preserve the aspect ratio with black bars on each side.
I'm not sure this is true for every monitor (mine does not do it even when on Windows, if I remember correctly). There's also the option of scaling done by gpu (called gpu aspect ratio scaling or something like that), but it's not working either (using xorg version 1.20.5-2, xrandr version 1.5.1-1). :(

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm not sure this is true for every monitor (mine does not do it even when on Windows, if I remember correctly).
You may look into your monitor settings, but it's entirely possible that there isn't any.

Another option is to try to launch Arcanum in windowed mode and then use third-party software to maximize it while keeping the aspect ratio. I can't help you with that since I'm not a Linux user.

Other than that, just set resolution with the aspect ratio of your monitor. Something like 1280x720 looks fine to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom