Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

deama

Prophet
I have used neural networks and other software to "polish" these videos. Also you can check my channel - there are mostly upscaled and "polished" movies in Ukrainian (i'm ukrainian) and Russian, but also some others including game cinematics.
I was wondering, which algorithms you used if you don't mind sharing?

Metracryg

Novice
I use many things, thats why the quality is so good :)
Standard soft like Topaz and many other tools for editing, filtering, deflickering, cleaning and so on...
Nostly I've googled them all :obviously:

deama

Prophet
Standard soft like Topaz and many other tools for editing, filtering, deflickering, cleaning and so on...
Which one did you use for higher fps?

Metracryg

Novice
Which one did you use for higher fps?

Rife-app. I've even paid for it :)
Extremely fast and precise AI system.
You can become patron for $10 and dowload it. Then unsubscribe - everything legal.
BTW, checked it now, and there is a new V 2.0... paid again to get it. :)

mkultra

Augur
Well, now you have less reasons to skip them :)
How do you people play old-school titles in 4k? I always select 800x600 or 1024x768 at max, otherwise it's just feels wrong

Are you on a CRT? No one has a screen with 800x600 native resolution, it will look like shit, blurry etc.. I'm playing BG EE in 2K, it's really nice, love how you can zoom out to see more of the environment, i rarely need to switch to the map. Game is really crisp and beautiful. Without the zoom i wouldn't have liked it though. Same when playing FO2, used really high resolution and a zoom-mod.

Metracryg

Novice
Well, now you have less reasons to skip them :)
How do you people play old-school titles in 4k? I always select 800x600 or 1024x768 at max, otherwise it's just feels wrong

The same reason, I dont live in the cave, i think.
I play old titles to enjoy atmosphere and my good memories, to taste restored and added content, to walk through quests and puzzles smoothly without glitches and BSODs, NOT to make my eyes bleed by playing in 800x600 on 32" display.
Currently I'm looking into the idea of Arcanum-BG-BG2-IWD-PS:T overall graphics processing.
Unfortunately, I can not upload images here, otherwise I could show you some WIP screens instead of explaining.
So, we can take original graphics from said games, upscale it, antialias, denoise etc... and then rezise back to the original.
And it looks better. Much better!
The issue here is that many of them have indexed colors and so on, so the "beauty" may be lost during the final conversion into game.
But in case of succesfull implementation, you will be able to play them as you like in 800x600 on your 486DX and 14" display (one of my friends have such PC "specially fo those games"), AND still have better visuals.

mkultra

Augur
You can batch convert it back to indexed colors, when we mod for example FO2 we use a certain Photoshop template for the colors. The problem with many of those games is that you can't make it more hi-res than what it already is, the art has a set resolution which is usually very, very low.

Metracryg

Novice
You can batch convert it back to indexed colors, when we mod for example FO2 we use a certain Photoshop template for the colors. The problem with many of those games is that you can't make it more hi-res than what it already is, the art has a set resolution which is usually very, very low.
The issue is that graphical elements loose the smoothness after the conversion, I wasn't going to change the resolution.
But we may be able to solve this issue, and then start to process over 17.000 of Arcanum objects :)
This is the real challenge for the Chosen of Omnissiah! :obviously:

mkultra

Augur
The issue is that graphical elements loose the smoothness after the conversion, I wasn't going to change the resolution.
But we may be able to solve this issue, and then start to process over 17.000 of Arcanum objects :)

That would be interesting to see, but if you can't change resolution for the in-game art i'm not sure what it would really add apart from making the art blurrier.

Metracryg

Novice

That would be interesting to see, but if you can't change resolution for the in-game art i'm not sure what it would really add apart from making the art blurrier.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XewJL6AVpYPSFpQd9yd43VbTN90xIupH?usp=sharing - added screens to the folder for comparisson.

mkultra

Augur

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XewJL6AVpYPSFpQd9yd43VbTN90xIupH?usp=sharing - added screens to the folder for comparisson.

Looks pretty nice! It actually brings out details in for example wood to make it look more like wood. Shiny surfaces benefits the most i think, like metal and sometimes wood too.

I guess the argument could be that it's no longer "pixel art", it's turned into something else. But it's also not a game which really benefits from looking like old pixel art, and the idea (i doubt) was never for it to look like what we now call pixel art.

Cool, looking forward to it now :) I'll PM you btw, if you're interested in a little collaboration..

Metracryg

Novice
I'm thinking about replaying Arcanum, the urge is too strong to resist, but: does Multiverse latest edition includes the latest version of Drog's patch or is it independent from it?
Version 200611 (2.0.2) is included but only the engine part. (No additional races and so on. AME is a restoration and improvement only).
Soon AME 1.7.1.1. will be released with English dialog fixes for you to play.
Everything is in AME Release.docx

Jigby

Augur
Metracryg
What model are you using for topaz? Could you elaborate on them? I remember there were quite a few, but I couldn't be bothered to compare them.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Hello, People!

I have prepared something for you :)

So, recently I've worked with Arcanum Multiverse Team to implement Supa-Dupa High Quality Videos into the game...
... and it works! :)
Also it should work for any other Arcanum compilation with resolution mod.

At first you should look at that video on my channel:

If you are satisfied with the quality, then go to my google-drive and dowload the folder with your preferred resolution.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zCgfQx3viY7OAx44jGBHkNOouW_WlR8Y?usp=sharing

1) Copy all folders from the downloaded folder into the root folder of the game, replacing old files.

2) Copy all folders from "ENG" folder, replacing four (4) videos to make it English (by default they are in Russian)

3) :argh:IMPORTANT:argh: Cimematics resolution MUST be equal or less, than your Arcanum resolution, otherwise you will get a crash!!!

4) Enjoy the game videos up to 3840x2160 :)

If you want to return to 800x600 cinetmatics - repeat the steps above with "800x600" folder. Cinematics in it are compatible with oroginal game, but still have the improved quality and framerate.

I have used neural networks and other software to "polish" these videos. Also you can check my channel - there are mostly upscaled and "polished" movies in Ukrainian (i'm ukrainian) and Russian, but also some others including game cinematics.

Also if there is a demand for other resolutions - I can encode and upload them to google-drive.

P.S.: I have 2K display, so I could't test it in 4K, but everything should be fine.
P.P.S.: If you like my work, you can visit patreon or order something personally (my prices are good) :)

Some screens:
Arcanum-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-RPG-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B4-6702312.jpeg

Arcanum-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-RPG-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B4-6702314.jpeg

Arcanum-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-RPG-%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B4-6702313.jpeg

Cinematics were certainly the last thing I would have hope to be enhanced. Still, can only admire the work done.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If I get this straight, this adds new content. Is it just expansion of already present quests or addition completely new ones?

Metracryg

Novice
Metracryg
What model are you using for topaz? Could you elaborate on them? I remember there were quite a few, but I couldn't be bothered to compare them.

For each video I use different models and sometimes multiple passes before and after applying other filters to clean noise, deflicker, light balancing etc.
I you just use AI to interpolate such videos - you won't get such good results, so it takes time and individual approach.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Metracryg

For each video I use different models and sometimes multiple passes before and after applying other filters to clean noise, deflicker, light balancing etc.
I you just use AI to interpolate such videos - you won't get such good results, so it takes time and individual approach.
Could you provide more details on exactly your process? What you've done for Arcanum I would like to do for Fallout 1 & 2, and Diablo. Understanding that your method is tweaked per-video, could you take me through your process for a single video? No need to be super detailed, it's more the methodology and steps I'm asking about.

Metracryg

Novice
Metracryg

Could you provide more details on exactly your process? What you've done for Arcanum I would like to do for Fallout 1 & 2, and Diablo. Understanding that your method is tweaked per-video, could you take me through your process for a single video? No need to be super detailed, it's more the methodology and steps I'm asking about.

Ok, since aimation and GC videos are easier to process, than live movies, I charge less for them :)
For Arcanum zeppelin scene it was like that:
1) Cleaning video with AI
2) Enhancing to 4K with AI
3) Anti-aliasing, disperse light, texture sharpening, filtering with different software (DaVinci Resolve Fusion is good)
4) Cutting first 40 seconds and saving as "1.mp4"
5) Saving other part as "2.mp4"
6) Increasing fps of "2" to 30 fps (original - 15 fps)
7) Joining both parts and rendering then into one video.
7.1) In RU version of the video I had to redraw first 6 sec (frames with text), beause they were "freezed" (localisator problem), but its another issue not related to your question :)
8) Encoding into .bik format.

Sometimes you have to apply more or less procedures. Also AI model of upscaling is important, you have to try different models and look for the better result.
Also increasing of fps may be a problem with some videos, so you will spend a lot of time on it or just decide that it's not worth it :)

Here is my last video pack prewiev for "Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul" (very popular and still modded game in Eastern Europe, but unfortunately underestimated by Western rewievers):

This took more time, but less steps, because I've already upgraded my skills from Arcanum, and didn't have to experiment and study loads of manuals.
Also here I've decided not to increase 25 to 50 fps, since it is not needed.

agris

Arcane
Patron
1) Cleaning video with AI <-- What does this mean, and what AI package(s) do you use?
2) Enhancing to 4K with AI <-- Which package(s)? Is this simply the resolution upscaling, followed by step 3 for further processing?
3) Anti-aliasing, disperse light, texture sharpening, filtering with different software (DaVinci Resolve Fusion is good) <-- what do you mean by filtering?
4) Cutting first 40 seconds and saving as "1.mp4" <-- Why do you split the videos?
7.1) In RU version of the video I had to redraw first 6 sec (frames with text), beause they were "freezed" (localisator problem), but its another issue not related to your question :)

Sometimes you have to apply more or less procedures. Also AI model of upscaling is important, you have to try different models and look for the better result.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I added some questions in-line in my quote. What software and AI models have you found useful?

For a video with distinct "scenes", where the content of the video is starkly different across the scenes (different objects / colors / whatever), have you found that the AI upscaling works best when you separate those different scenes? That way any predictive scaling the AI is using isn't pulling information from a future scene, which presumably provides no benefit to upscaling a previous scene.

I'm good with ffmpeg for encodes / transcoding, or even decomposition into individual frames. Do you ever work on individual frames?

Metracryg

Novice
1) Cleaning video with AI <-- What does this mean, and what AI package(s) do you use?
2) Enhancing to 4K with AI <-- Which package(s)? Is this simply the resolution upscaling, followed by step 3 for further processing?
3) Anti-aliasing, disperse light, texture sharpening, filtering with different software (DaVinci Resolve Fusion is good) <-- what do you mean by filtering?
4) Cutting first 40 seconds and saving as "1.mp4" <-- Why do you split the videos?

Thanks for the detailed reply, I added some questions in-line in my quote. What software and AI models have you found useful?

For a video with distinct "scenes", where the content of the video is starkly different across the scenes (different objects / colors / whatever), have you found that the AI upscaling works best when you separate those different scenes? That way any predictive scaling the AI is using isn't pulling information from a future scene, which presumably provides no benefit to upscaling a previous scene.

I'm good with ffmpeg for encodes / transcoding, or even decomposition into individual frames. Do you ever work on individual frames?

1 & 2) Topaz VEAI for both steps. It has "denoise/deblock" option without upscale. Still you have to choose the right model, and it doesnt clean everything.
3) By filtering I mean using different video filters to achieve result pleasant for the eyes. More like adding effects.
4) First 40 seconds had to be left without fps increase to maintain "old film" slyle, so I've cut them before the increase of fps.

If you want the detailed instruction with screenshots and advices, you can motivate me by ordering some movie to process. :)
Than I will do it with the detailed description of every step with pics.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you want the detailed instruction with screenshots and advices, you can motivate me by ordering some movie to process. :)

Are we talking store.steam.ru prices?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom