Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum supercut with narration, fully voiced

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't see how this improves Arcanum. Full voice acting is good only in games where dialogs are concise (i.e. Gothic) or serve artistic purpose (i.e. The Void), it doesn't work well in games in which they are descriptive and written in length.

If Arcanum or other similar game has full dubbing you just listen to the beginning while at the same time reading quickly the rest. This is why part-dubbing (like in infinity engine games) is best for such, and this is why Larian Studios made Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition worse than the original by replacing part-dubbing with full one.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
No proper cRPG needs full voice acting.
Similar to the text based adventures, you had to read and learn about the game's story and characters this way.
Arcanum had only major characters be voiced (and exceptionally so, I might add), it was the perfect balance between text based and dialogue.

Similar to the text based adventures, you had to read and learn about the game's story and characters this way.
Arcanum had only major characters be voiced (and exceptionally so, I might add), it was the perfect balance between text based and dialogue.
I mean, yeah, I generally agree with that sentiment. But this isn't a game...it's a video summarizing the story of a game. Hence full voice acting makes it something that can be watched or listened to.

Laz Sundays

Educated
I mean, yeah, I generally agree with that sentiment. But this isn't a game...it's a video summarizing the story of a game. Hence full voice acting makes it something that can be watched or listened to.
Like a voice novel? For blindfags and hipsters* that can't be bothered to?

*I hope that general description of a hipster is still "a faggot that's into retro in that rich and bored type of way"

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But this isn't a game...it's a video summarizing the story of a game. Hence full voice acting makes it something that can be watched or listened to.
Which is fucking retarded because it's a GAME

A game with MULTIPLE ENDINGS based on PLAYER CHOICES

WTF is the point of a video story summary for such a game? Retarded.

Go and actually PLAY it.

But this isn't a game...it's a video summarizing the story of a game. Hence full voice acting makes it something that can be watched or listened to.

Go and actually PLAY it.
It sounds like this is not the right video for you, sir. Perhaps you shouldn't watch it. I enjoyed working on it. I enjoy listening to it because I very much love Arcanum, its music, characters, and world.

I'm dreadfully sorry if this video has offended you and rubbed your smooth retarded brain in the wrong way. I do hope you'll forgive me for this great injustice.

If you truly loved Arcanum, like I do, you'd try to make people play it instead of offering them a way to experience its story without playing.
And how can I do that in a way that appeases you? Would you prefer I go to Times Square and yell at people and call them retards for not playing Arcanum? Do you think that would be more effective than making an accessible piece of content that has the potential to promote the game to a new audience?

Did it not occur to you that people may stumble upon the video, watch some or all of it, and decide to play the game?

I'm genuinely curious, fellow Arcanum lover, what you think is the best way to go about doing this.

There are currently 23 people playing Arcanum on Steam, there is much work to do.

Laz Sundays

Educated
If you truly loved Arcanum, like I do, you'd try to make people play it instead of offering them a way to experience its story without playing.
And how can I do that in a way that appeases you? Would you prefer I go to Times Square and yell at people and call them retards for not playing Arcanum? Do you think that would be more effective than making an accessible piece of content that has the potential to promote the game to a new audience?

Did it not occur to you that people may stumble upon the video, watch some or all of it, and decide to play the game?

I'm genuinely curious, fellow Arcanum lover, what you think is the best way to go about doing this.

There are currently 23 people playing Arcanum on Steam, there is much work to do.

You really believe you did no wrong, ofc. You just don't get it, do you. What this type of trend actually does.
Watering down, shortcutting experiences, serving emotions and immersion on a platter - instead of actually encouraging people to experience it for themselves - will NEVER be healthy. In fact, this trend is what ruined and pacified younger generations in the first place. You are offering a low hanging fruit. That's what that is. And it can only result in weakness, laziness and addiction to catering.

Mommy's gonna tell you the story, my sweet child should not bother and strain, mommy's gonna do it for them! Let me feed my baby forever, mommas baby can't be expected to struggle, they're gonna grow up if they do and leave mommy.

Please. That ain't the way to teach. Show them why it is cool by talking about what made you feel cool when you played it. Not spoil the entire thing to their face as if you were to spoil them, and then come here to boast about your brave endeavors. People who enjoy spoilers are fucking cunts. But people who enjoy telling them?? Listen, guy. You don't seem to have any idea how furious most of us would be if someone offered to spoil the entire plot while we were playing it for the first time. Don't be a fucking cunt, m8.

Here's how you attract to Arcanum: "Magic vs Technology, unique twist to fantasy rpg, old and clunky but amazing"

Anyone who doesn't find that interesting - is not the audience. If they don't start inquiring on their own, and you manage to hold your cunt tongue as to not fucking spoil them, then they aren't up for it. The End.

Harthwain

Magister

Go and actually PLAY it.
You can use it as an audiobook when commuting.

Edit:

Don't WTF me. I did that for Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption, Death Gate, Legacy of Kain, StarCraft and others. Good audio is always worth listening to.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So what you're saying is I should port Arcanum into a NWN module...
An Arcanum inspired NWN module would be pretty cool if done right.
NWN modules seem more popular than the base game itself.

RoksCQ

Novice

Go and actually PLAY it.

Edit:

Don't WTF me. I did that for Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption, Death Gate, Legacy of Kain, StarCraft and others. Good audio is always worth listening to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fully voiced narrative is for retards who can't read. Just having an actor read lines isn't voice acting. When you have well written dialogue, and the actor infuses it with some character/emotion then you get golden gaming moments.

E.g:

I don't think these actors were total professional, but it's still the best example of voice acting I can think of in over 25 years of gaming. Unless you start talking about Jim Cummings, David Warner, Frank Welker etc.

Another crime Beamdog commited against gaming - Kevin Michael Richardson and David Warner on the payroll, and what did we get?.

Vatnik Wumao

Edit:

Why not just listen to...
An actual audio book instead? Listening to a bunch of cutscenes or voiced story beats without having the connective tissue of gameplay doesn't seem like a particularly enjoyable experience. Unless you're doing it for nostalgia purposes for a game that you've already played I guess.

Harthwain

Magister
Why not just listen to...
An actual audio book instead? Listening to a bunch of cutscenes or voiced story beats without having the connective tissue of gameplay doesn't seem like a particularly enjoyable experience. Unless you're doing it for nostalgia purposes for a game that you've already played I guess.
I do listen to audiobooks (fan-made and professional), too. And documentaries.

While listening to audio from games may sound like it is a bad idea, in my experience (at least in case of games I mentioned I listen to) there is enough material in the audio form for it to remain cohesive. It also helps that performance of most voice actors in the aforementioned games is excellent for the most part.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Next step:

having someone else to fuck your wife for you

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom