Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are casual gamers ruining it for the rest of us?

Witchblade

Scholar
doctor_kaz said:
Witchblade said:
The scary part of this article, is that these consolers and MMORPG'ers, actually consider themselves as "hardcore" gamers.

I can't say that they are wrong about that. If you define a hardcore gamer just as someone who spends a lot of time and money on gaming, then a lot of MMORPG'ers and consolers qualify. Games like Devil May Cry or MLB2K9 have their own hardcore qualities, but it has more to do with refining skills than strategy. But the problem with MMORPGs is that it has totally sucked the money and developer efforts away from single player RPGs. Console gamers have different standards and tastes which is why the death of PC-exclusive gaming is such a problem for PC gaming. The huge difference between console and PC controls means that the PC gets the short end of the stick.

You know, I don't mind the fact that so-called "console exclusives" only get ported to PC months and months after coming out on console. What I do mind, are things like not being able to save in my game where I want to, and controls that hardly work with keyboard and mouse, and other side-effects of console to PC ports.

What I am really sad about though, is that the PC crowd, who were actually the "first comers" where videogaming is concerned, are being more and more marginalised. Hey, I actually like playing action games too, every now and then, as I have wide gaming tastes. But I need my more cerebral PC-centric games too, and I'm prepared to pay for them, as are a lot of other people like myself, I'm sure. But the industry just doesn't seem to care about us anymore.

Ironically, although my rig can handle it, it's not the fantastic 3-D explosions and particle effects and physics, and pretty graphics and awesome sound and visual special FX and all the window-dressing that's really important to me, but ironically, it is this very technology that is making developing next-gen games so expensive, therefore forcing the industry to seek a wider based mass-market.

St. Toxic

Arcane
elander_ said:
Nothing to do with my argument.

What argument? You're just stating the obvious and doing a terrible job at it. I couldn't resist having a go. :D

Jim Cojones said:
I'm pretty sure that if it would bring back Troika alive, I could live without clothes.

Becasuse nobody would need any clothes, seeing as it would have been heaven on earth! :aiee:

elander_

Arbiter
St. Toxic said:
What argument? You're just stating the obvious and doing a terrible job at it. I couldn't resist having a go. :D

I thought miserable bucks could be read in more than one way. That teaches me not to make short posts. :)

Fenril

Scholar
Do any of you guys find good casual sex with attractive women hard to arrange?

Are women as a whole marketing their sweet behinds for the more serious crowd...or is it just me being a total social failure loser?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
As a fellow codexer, I like a debate, but please guys, can you guys get on to finding the responsible for the decline of RPGs so we can kill him/her/them/they?
How do you kill 'they'?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Wyrmlord said:
The Brazilian Slaughter said:
As a fellow codexer, I like a debate, but please guys, can you guys get on to finding the responsible for the decline of RPGs so we can kill him/her/them/they?
How do you kill 'they'?

The responsible is the wallet YOU opened to support this garbage.

MetalCraze

Arcane
On the other hand casual 'tards will never ever experience the goddamn awesomeness of crazy moments of OFP, Silent Hunter and alikes.

They will never know the moment when you are going against 3 cruisers in a shitty submarine that is slower than them, sink one of them and the other two start to rape you with underwater bombs, there is nowhere to run - the depth is only 20 meters - you sink the other fucker and try to hide underneath the remaining one - but it detects you and rapes your periscopes with its bottom so you are remaining blind and with only one torpedo in the back - and then you just look at sonar reports and blindly shoot this torpedo. And it hits.

And all consoletards can wank to is graphix. And then the dumbest of them post "ah but there are no better games than halo anyway!"

Or this shit :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom