Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are RPGs Evolving or Dying?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
On related news, I would say RTS genre have managed to survive really well the "downfall of Pc Gaming",
It has something to do with RTS genre being a part of the downfall.
RTS = Real Time Strategy (Starcraft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, etc).
Yes, that's precisely what I'm talking about.
Now I'm curious. Whats your point?
RTS was to wargames what modern popamole "RPGs" are to classical RPGs. Decline.

Also, the whole idea of taking a strategic game in real time? We're talking about games where a turn last a week+ and units are whole divisions. Then you end up with stuff like rocket infantry unit needing 100 or something attacks to destroy a harvester unit, except that unlike in a real strategic game, the harvester unit doesn't lose any of its effectiveness when losing strength.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Gentleman Loser said:
Dying... evolving... how about Devolving?

No, but only because you're using the wrong word. Look up Devolution in a dictionary or Wikipedia to see why.

The proper, unmistakable term is "de-evolution".

Unkillable Cat said:

No, but only because you're using the wrong word. Look up Devolution in a dictionary or Wikipedia to see why.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/devolving

Definition Three.

It's weird like that. This definition only appears in the verb from, not the noun form.
I'm not saying things are going back to an earlier state. Just degenerating.

Joe Krow

Erudite
CRPGs died when designers stooped basing them on PnP RPGs.

Obviously the first step was making RPGs real-time. Diablo was the first nail in the coffin but there was still hope even then.

Games like Morrowind and Bloodlines (two modern examples) stayed true to RPGs roots by basing the combat on character attributes. Unfortunately, the new RPG fans didn't like that. The game was not responding in the way it would in a pure action game... the character would either miss or do minimal damage despite the head-shot.

To rectify, they decided to use character attributes to modify player ability instead (see Oblivion and Alpha Protocol). Now having a shit character made the head-shot more difficult but if you got one it registered. Character attributes are now identical to the guns in a FPS- better ones made the game easier to play (faster, steadier cross-hair, etc). There are little or no recognizable RPG mechanics. In effect skills no longer modify the character, they modify the player.

In terms of "evolution" I don't see how things can decline any further.

Funny enough once 3D and a Gun is involved, people can't seem to account for stats at all. People complain about the shooting in games like "Deus Ex", "Mass Effect (1)", "Alpha Protocol", and "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" often because the gun play does not work like in most first or third-person shooters. The cone of fire effect confuses people, even in the games with the clearly drawn slowly closing cross hairs. People seem to misunderstand what is happening, and why.

It seems having stats-based aiming and a real-time 3D environment will never work hand-in-hand... or at least not to peoples expectations.

---

Oh, your sig reminds me... remember when they used to say "non-linear"?

Now they say C&C, and half the time it's just leading to the things you got listed there... and also usually all the Choices are made in dialogue. Not enough games have non-linearity through game play anymore. What ever happened to "actions speak louder than words"?

Even worse most games just have the "BIG CHOICE!" right at the end. It's like a footnote.

"Psst... whose side do you want to be on for this final fight? One side will instantly forgive you for everything, and the other will despise you despite all the good you have done. Be sure to save now so you can see both endings just by reloading and replaying this fight! Don't worry about anything before this moment, we've gone ahead and made it all trivial. Now... choose your immediate consequence!"

And that pretty much sums it up. It's supposed to be Choice and Consequences, but the consequences are so predictable it becomes "Choose your Consequences" instead.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Rpgs are becoming better and better

Fuck :yeah:

Rpgs are better because it's all a matter of perspective

Darwin called, he said some things just don't survive

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
On related news, I would say RTS genre have managed to survive really well the "downfall of Pc Gaming",

Also, the whole idea of taking a strategic game in real time? We're talking about games where a turn last a week+ and units are whole divisions. Then you end up with stuff like rocket infantry unit needing 100 or something attacks to destroy a harvester unit, except that unlike in a real strategic game, the harvester unit doesn't lose any of its effectiveness when losing strength.

Yeah, I see your point, sad but true...Series like Steel Panther have vanished, and even more "modern" ones, like Warhammer: Dark Omen (my favorite strategic game) have been abandoned/dumbed-down in favor of Real-Time...

I still like RTS games thought, and enjoyed a lot Civ V, so you proven your point and made me feel as hazardous to Strategic Games as people who love Dragon Age 2 are to RPGs.

Well done! :salute:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
RTS games have been pretty bad the last several years -- most of them just amount to highlighting a box of units and smashing them into a box of enemy units. About as strategic as Ancient Art of War -- good concept for 1984 but no so much 25 years later.

Joe Krow

Erudite
"Who knows, within a few years, The Elder Scrolls may be the last true RPG that hasn’t been greatly or subtly changed to make a game designed for a narrow audience into one that has mass appeal."

:pete:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Funny enough once 3D and a Gun is involved, people can't seem to account for stats at all. People complain about the shooting in games like "Deus Ex", "Mass Effect (1)", "Alpha Protocol", and "Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines" often because the gun play does not work like in most first or third-person shooters. The cone of fire effect confuses people, even in the games with the clearly drawn slowly closing cross hairs. People seem to misunderstand what is happening, and why.

It seems having stats-based aiming and a real-time 3D environment will never work hand-in-hand... or at least not to peoples expectations.

---

Oh, your sig reminds me... remember when they used to say "non-linear"?

Now they say C&C, and half the time it's just leading to the things you got listed there... and also usually all the Choices are made in dialogue. Not enough games have non-linearity through game play anymore. What ever happened to "actions speak louder than words"?

Even worse most games just have the "BIG CHOICE!" right at the end. It's like a footnote.

"Psst... whose side do you want to be on for this final fight? One side will instantly forgive you for everything, and the other will despise you despite all the good you have done. Be sure to save now so you can see both endings just by reloading and replaying this fight! Don't worry about anything before this moment, we've gone ahead and made it all trivial. Now... choose your immediate consequence!"

And that pretty much sums it up. It's supposed to be Choice and Consequences, but the consequences are so predictable it becomes "Choose your Consequences" instead.
:salute:

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
circ said:
... There are like two remaining RTS developers, Relic and Blizzard, and Blizzard just keeps doing sequels with very little innovation. Then there's C&C, but EA killed that. It has nothing interesting in it anymore, though I liked C&C Generals. And MS killed whatever the AOE studio was called. As for Relic, well, Retribution was fun, and had more new features than DA 2, even though the release cycles were pretty much the same, and it's a fucking standalone addon, unlike DA 2, which shouldn't be even called that, but a DLC. But Retribution's heavily geared towards MP, so.

The Creative Assembly?... Paradox?, Matrix? and 1C? (and all their associated devs - battlefront etc.), Eugen (R.U.S.E)?, NeoCore (King Authur, Kings Crusade etc)? ... countless smaller devs.

Shit, there's zillions of RTS developers (especially compared to RPG devs). Not that I'm particularly fond of the genre (I prefer TBS), but there's a few good ones still. I'd say the RTS genre is doing pretty well still on PC.

Conversely, and I don't know how many times this has to be said, DOW 2 and it's expansions are NOT RTS, they don't even resemble an RTS so I don't know why people keep referring to them as such (because DOW 1 was RTS?). They are squad based tactical shooters with some RPG elements for good measure. I don't mind - I think they're great, especially the two expansions, but NOT RTS.

waywardOne

Arcane
RPGs can't evolve; they are fixed, well-defined entities. they can have variants which could end up differentiating enough to no longer qualify as an RPG, but that is certainly not evolution.

circ said:
Unkillable Cat said:

The proper term is DEVO!

Unfortunately, 'if a problem comes along, you must whip it...' doesn't seem to have any logical application to the downfall of crpgs:-(. Otherwise I would obey the mighty DEVO, I really would.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
felipepepe said:

Yeah, I see your point, sad but true...Series like Steel Panther have vanished, and even more "modern" ones, like Warhammer: Dark Omen (my favorite strategic game) have been abandoned/dumbed-down in favor of Real-Time...
Dark Omen was Real-Time. Except that unlike Command & Conquer, Starcraft, etc. it was a tactical Real Time Simulation, not Real Time Strategy.

AlaCarcuss said:
Conversely, and I don't know how many times this has to be said, DOW 2 and it's expansions are NOT RTS, they don't even resemble an RTS so I don't know why people keep referring to them as such (because DOW 1 was RTS?). They are squad based tactical shooters with some RPG elements for good measure. I don't mind - I think they're great, especially the two expansions, but NOT RTS.
Tactical shooters? You mean like Counterstrike?

From what I've seen, the combat is the same as in DoW. And combat in DoW still has the same RTS gimmicks that were derived strategic games. You still get super-tough units, you still get short range of sight, etc.
It's not a true tactical game. It's RTS minus the base building part (Real Time Operational :retarded: ?).

Norfleet

Joe Krow said:
Games like Morrowind and Bloodlines (two modern examples) stayed true to RPGs roots by basing the combat on character attributes. Unfortunately, the new RPG fans didn't like that. The game was not responding in the way it would in a pure action game... the character would either miss or do minimal damage despite the head-shot.
Not just the "new" RPG fans, either. As an old RPG fan, I didn't care for it either. The real reason we don't care for it is simple: When you set up and visibly SEE the headshot, there is the reasonable expectation that it should thus RESPOND like a headshot. There isn't any such expectation in "classic" RPGs because you never see it: In "classic" games, a possibly not-animated-at-all sprite possibly makes a stabbing motion in the general direction of an enemy sprite, which may react to this by flashing. You are then told damage was inflicted. Since you didn't SEE the guy get stabbed through the face, you have no reason to expect him to react as such.

The death of the "classic" RPG is the direct effect of graphics: Mechanics that worked well at a high level of abstraction become nonsensical when you can see things at a very low level, and your opponent is now walking about apparently unfazed by 30 arrows visibly stuck all the way through his head, something no one should be surviving. The jarring effect of being told you MISSED when there is no physically possible way this could have happened detracts greatly from the game experience. This didn't happen without the fancy graphics: You were just told you missed, and it was up to you to imagine what the hell happened.

Consider the typical RPG mechanics: They're extremely generous, and tend to lean towards low lethality. A level 1 warrior swinging at a naked man has an approximately 50% chance to hit him. This chance includes a large number of abstractions: The man could be dodgng, etc. We accept this because we cannot see any contradictory evidence that this is untrue. When we can now SEE that the man is simply STANDING THERE, a completely stationary target who is not moving at all, when you whack him with a sword, you expect that this qualifies as a hit. When you shoot him at him from 5 feet away with a gun, you expect that he's going to get shot, and probably not all that far from where you're aiming, even if your character sucks, because, quite frankly, practically no one could suck that much in real life. So naturally, it's quite jarring when you...miss, with swords that somehow strike an invisible forcefield and bullets that fly off at 80-degree angles to enable such a thing.

kasmas

Educated
Gaming industry is trying to make money by mixing and recycling the same things over and over again and since the consoles are out technology is stuck too , sooner or later modern RPGs will look and feel all the same and this will create the ground for many developers to go classic .
Just my opinion .

Johannes

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:

So your problem with RTS's is that they are too abstract? That's not the same as difference as between old- and newschool RPGs at all.

Unless decline just means any change you personally dislike.

circ

Arcane
Um what? He just stated an obvious difference between classic strategy games and RTS's. How is that a personal dislike? He didn't endorse either system. Maybe actual strategy games are too abstract in your opinion.

And calling it a real time Strategy is kind of stupid in the first place, as it has nothing to do with strategy. Tactics maybe, but not strategy. There aren't any environmental factors to bother with most of the time except choke points, sometimes there's morale, but it's simplified. No supply lines, no weather or equipment modifiers. It's about capping and harassing and so on.

Arcanoix

Scholar
hoverdog said:
Dr.Faust said:
Arcanoix said:
Risen - Shitty.

Witcher - Click, click, click, sex, click, click, click, sex.

AoD - Vaporware.

Eschalon - What?

FO:NV - INCLINE.

MoTB - Awesome pickup to a shitty story. (the OC)

Your opinions on RPGs mean jack shit if you don't know what the Eschalon books are. Especially since the opinions are so wrong.
come on, eschalon was like a roguelike with better graphics and a (generic) story but without all the things that make roguelikes playable. atrocious, atrocious game.

Because anything with Goblins, Dragons, Undead, or anything generic like it is fucking shit to me. I'm tired of paying even a penny for a game that's just a rehash of D&D garbage. D&D died with Gary Gygax, get over it.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Awor Szurkrarz said:
AlaCarcuss said:
Tactical shooters? You mean like Counterstrike?

Counterstrike is a squad based tactical shooter? :retarded: Shooter's don't have to be FP/3P you know. I probably should have said "squad based tactical game" so as not to confuse you.

No. Like say Bungie's Myth series or (god forbid) even JA2, only RtWP and with small squads of units rather than single man units. (but as each unit in DOW2 acts as a single entity anyway, there's no real difference). Yeah, DOW 2 has far more in common with those games than any so called RTS.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
From what I've seen, the combat is the same as in DoW. And combat in DoW still has the same RTS gimmicks that were derived strategic games. You still get super-tough units, you still get short range of sight, etc.
It's not a true tactical game. It's RTS minus the base building part (Real Time Operational :retarded: ?).

Huh? There's no fucking strategy involved, real-time or otherwise - it's all tactics. What the hell to you consider a true tactical game? (mind you, there's not much strategy involved in most RTS's, so I'll give you that).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom