Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Galileo claimed the earth orbited around the sun. Once he arrived to this, he was explicitly told to not teach this until the matter was settled between the astronomers and theologians that were trying to assess whether remarks on the bible about this not being the case were meant to be taken literally or not. He initially agreed to that but started teaching what he believed anyway because he believed he would be above Church authority. He was wrong.
He was wrong? So the Earth doesn't orbit around the sun?

Oh, you mean he was "wrong" because the church locked him up for stating a fact. He refused to be quiet and got locked up. Which isn't censorship because...

Meanwhile, the church ok'd heresies (since semantics are so important) like idol worship and praying to the dead.

Praying for the dead to intercede for us on the other hand is a salvific practice, as long as you don't literally worship them as if they were on the same level as God.
Oh? Ever heard of the practice of burying a statue of St Joseph in order to sell your house?
https://st-josephstatue.com/how-to-bury-st-joseph-statue/
St Joseph statue – Burial instructions
• Bury the statue in the yard in the front of the house. Favorable spots are either close to the “For Sale” sign or close to the road.
• Bury the statue upsidedown, facing the house.
Pray to Saint Joseph when you are burying him and keep praying until the house is sold.
• But the most important part is to have faith all the time, in yourself, in your Sale and in Saint Joseph.
• After your house is sold take him with you to your new home and put him in a place of honor.
• If you live in a condo, bury the statue of St Joseph in a pot.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Let's consider this here. Why exactly aren't you complaining that people are put in jail at all then?
Actions vs opinions. Try to follow along.
Similar to the idea of freedom of speech is the idea of freedom of movement; the notion that people should be able to go where they want without restrictions from the government. Unlike freedom of speech, though, people are much more willing to let this one slide since doing otherwise would obviously destroy society. People shouldn't be able to go into private property of another ust because they want, obviously, otherwise the very idea of private property is lost. Likewise, saying the government shouldn't ever restrict the freedom of movement of someone would quickly result in a lot of dangerous people in the streets.
The difference is ownership. I can say something without infringing on your person or physical property.

But I think this is a very telling example. Why exactly should the government be allowed to wield authority to stop someone from going somewhere, but not the authority to stop someone from saying something?
Because the suppression of movement isn't the suppression of ideas or beliefs, within reason.

You're comparing apples to oranges. You might as well be saying "well, murder is illegal, so why not children's books?".

I really don't know if you are being serious. The so called "liberals" are now restricting people from saying hate speech and whatnot and are the reason this thread was started in first place; while the so called conservatives mostly want to conserve the "honoured tradition" that came after the french revolution. Which world do you live in?
Obviously the world where that particular png file you responded with before doesn't equate to the paragraph you just wrote, and should have written to begin with.

You say the "so-called conservatives", implying that you aren't one of them and that you're a real conservative. Ergo, you're the "conservative" I was referring to. What world do you live in that understanding this is so difficult for you?

You want censorship. You advocate it even though it'd be wiser for you to advocate free speech until you can swing the pendulum of social power even slightly back in your direction. Yet here you sit, effectively advocating your own elimination because you live in the fantasy that any day now the Catholic/Orthodox/whatever church is going to start a new Inquisition and purge all the LGBT pedos from power.
Saying something is doing something. And frequently it is the worst kind of thing you could do. Also, again, which world do you live in? Do you really think people aren't thrown in jail for saying stuff nowadays?
Sticks and stones. There are a lot of assault or rape victims that would probably disagree with you that saying mean things is the worst thing you could do.

Seems like you're pretty far gone if you can't see that though, so not sure what else there is I can say other than good luck "making blasphemy illegal". Let me know how that goes. :M

Can't handle the bacon

Ok, I am ready for DU to come out with a decision that is leaps and bounds more horrible than anyone here has seriously anticipated. I mean, we all know that's how this is going to end, right?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ok, I am ready for DU to come out with a decision that is leaps and bounds more horrible than anyone here has seriously anticipated. I mean, we all know that's how this is going to end, right?

Did you just delete your post on the previous page only to get it at the top of this one? :lol:
Yep. Saw that. I don't really care because my tldr post was off topic anyway.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I also reported Edgy Gamer's wall of butthurt retardation for being GD/Pol shit.
Abusing the report button will end well for you.

I would gladly post in GD, if I could (I can't) and if the discussion, which others started, not me, were in GD instead of this thread.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
techno-fascism
:hmmm:
Nigga learn the meaning of words. Fascism is not a word you just use for whateva you dislike lol. The moment i read that stupidity made the rest of your argument irrelevant. Clearly you are stupid enough to not be able to use words with their correct meaning and formulate a meaningful sentence.
I was thinking this but didn't want to take the time to say it. I think corporatism or crony capitalism would be more fitting
More like an oligarchic republic,where different corporate families rule different sectors and are at odds with each other,but still take some kind of decisions. But that is far in the future,to be honest. Corporations as evil as they are,are prone to self collapse,also lack a real power. People thing that having a bunch of milliards and international influence is big power,but that is because they don't know how much money and power real country have. The problem with modern country is that they are democracies,thus those corporations have effect on to single individuals,that take decisions. Even a mediocre country could wipe out all the corporations in their country in month if it decides,just like china.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Best choice.....using Infi's mossad connections to make this site in to a honey trap,where he gets 5 grands on any kwan or australian that posts racist meme or show tendencies that a bit right of marx,throwing them in to the gulag.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

You are a Big Gay for reporting people but you're also not wrong.
Since DU doesn't seem to care enough to even respond to his own thread I assume he's cooking up some really retarded solution that will make nobody happy.
Which is something that Lowtax would have done as well. Anyone who knows anything about Internet history should be worried at such a comparison.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Since DU doesn't seem to care enough to even respond to his own thread I assume he's cooking up some really retarded solution that will make nobody happy.
Which is something that Lowtax would have done as well. Anyone who knows anything about Internet history should be worried at such a comparison.
I think DU just has other things to focus on and is exploring his options.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

He's got time to make a retarded poll but not time enough to post "Here's the problem, this is what I'm going to do. kthxbye"?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

He's got time to make a retarded poll but not time enough to post "Here's the problem, this is what I'm going to do. kthxbye"?

Didn't it cross your mind that he might be still searching for a solution?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Best choice.....using Infi's mossad connections to make this site in to a honey trap,
I assume this was already done ten years ago.
If you are let to roam free,then clearly he haven't done it yet lol.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well since this discussion is still going.

A discussion on internet forum is fully equal to discussion in PUB, not on TV station, not on public speech place like university, in the pub.
It's spiced up when people are talking from theirs PRIVATE spaces, like homes. And the situation is basically equal to inviting few friends to your yard and talking... Then wondering if you would have problems when someone on the streets overhead that.

Or inside of room. Do you know lasers can record conversation by emitting to window glass and reading vibrations? Well current culture is moving towards remotely activating recording in a cell phone and sending the conversation directly, behind users back, while user is still thinking his cell phone is in sleep mode.

Situation will not disappear when people would ran away. Laws would become worse. Either places like forums, discord, and similar stuff would have some protection, or well most people would experience consequences of insufficient speech/privacy protection. Forums shouldn't be either free speech or talking about games/books/movies. Forums should be about both. Which reminds me. Can we talk about this movie? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/

Czech republic had situation like this during so called "Bach absolutism era". Then half century later... Agents provocateurs and similar shit was outlawed by commies.
(Reintroduced when czech started to lick arse to US and EU.)

Stuff like this actually reminds me of old movie where they said "EMPEROR IS VOLE." in a pub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OANyeJCyPRM
Followed by apology to an officer by saying "Emperor is crowned". (The only problem with that apology was in czech language there is saying "crowned vole")

Digimon

Educated
the rest of the people talking about quitting were your usual 75% GD folk, didn't care to remember.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hmmh must have confused you for someone with the same avatar or so.

Are you referring to duraframe300 perhaps?

Quite interesting, among those who would quit if the codex split there is not a single GRPG quality poster. There are however multiple JRPG quality posters.
Racist anime supremacy?

No sense in beating around the bush, if you won’t say it then let me do the honors - as far as the current situation of this forum goes:

JRPG posters >>>> GRPG posters

The majority of the quality GRPG posters that this forum once had are either themselves already gone or retired. What replaced them are posers loudly and aggressively proclaiming about how ‘prestigious’ and ‘refined’ their tastes are yet whenever they’re scrutinized, what do I see? Individuals, full of misplaced ego and pride, riding the coattails of their betters.

You can easily distinguish them by how you would think they’d answer these questions:
  1. Story, Writing, and Social aspects such as factions, fleshed out companions, etc… are what makes an RPG. If the game does not have any of the qualities mentioned above, then it is not an rpg but instead it belongs to one of its subgenre: dungeon crawler, action rpg, jrpg or even as a game with rpg elements, etc… Yes or No?
  2. An RPG needs to have ‘Role Play’ in it. The character(s) that you are going to spend time with needs to be a blank slate whose function is to enact whatever role I plan to project upon it. No Developer or Dungeon Master in his right mind would be asking you to play and inhabit a character with fleshed out backstory and behavior and then call it role-playing. Yes or No?
  3. A game needs to be complex to be a RPG. The nuts and bolts making up the system might not be the most well fitted and thought out but if it is robust enough for someone to build multiple and varied mechanics(Class, Weapons types, Magic, etc…) out of it then it might not be a good game but at the end of the day you can still call it as rpg. ‘Simple does not a good RPG make’ Yes or No?
  4. Specific to the codex: ‘Oldfags’, who are codexers that have been in this site for a ‘long’ time are simply wiser and more intelligent than younger ones. The older they are the more they know what they’re talking about, irrespective of subject matter; The content of their writings should be given greater weight because of their perceived ‘prestigiousness’. I mean think about it - years and years of codex discourse should’ve refined their opinions and beliefs into ‘diamond’, am I right? Yes or No?

These are just my, admittedly, overly autistic way of looking at things; Please don’t take them too seriously. At the end of the day I am also just a poser spewing their hot air towards nothing.

Alex

Arcane
He was wrong? So the Earth doesn't orbit around the sun?

Oh, you mean he was "wrong" because the church locked him up for stating a fact. He refused to be quiet and got locked up.

No, I mean he was wrong about being above Church authority. See how the sentence "he believed he was above..." is right next to the one that says "he was wrong."? In this case they are put together because the second one adds to what the first one just said.

Which isn't censorship because...

I've never claimed it isn't. I just don't agree with the idea that censorship is inherently bad.

Meanwhile, the church ok'd heresies (since semantics are so important) like idol worship and praying to the dead.

Diagnostic: protestard.

Praying for the dead to intercede for us on the other hand is a salvific practice, as long as you don't literally worship them as if they were on the same level as God.
Oh? Ever heard of the practice of burying a statue of St Joseph in order to sell your house?
https://st-josephstatue.com/how-to-bury-st-joseph-statue/
St Joseph statue – Burial instructions
• Bury the statue in the yard in the front of the house. Favorable spots are either close to the “For Sale” sign or close to the road.
• Bury the statue upsidedown, facing the house.
Pray to Saint Joseph when you are burying him and keep praying until the house is sold.
• But the most important part is to have faith all the time, in yourself, in your Sale and in Saint Joseph.
• After your house is sold take him with you to your new home and put him in a place of honor.
• If you live in a condo, bury the statue of St Joseph in a pot.
:nocountryforshitposters:

I would be glad to explain to you the finer points of the differences between asking the saints for intercession and superstition in another thread (like the Traditional Catholicism thread!). This has little to do with the topic at hand, though, so the short version is; taking specific steps like this that have nothing to do with religion in order to obtain a material effect usually is a good sign you are dealing with superstition. Real devotion should turn you towards Charity or at least some other virtue, such as humbleness.

Let's consider this here. Why exactly aren't you complaining that people are put in jail at all then?
Actions vs opinions. Try to follow along.

And why do you suppose this difference is important? Or, to put it more concretely, take the example of Russia. The people who took the actual actions that led to the communist revolution are of course guilty of their own actions. But aren't the men who gave them their intellectual base just as guilty? Marx and others wrote specifically against what is true, rightful and correct and tried to represent the world as a social struggle; taking good qualities it might have and framing them as part of an evil system designed to keep the world from changing for the better. They weren't misinterpreted or co-opted. If they were alive, weren't they just as guilty as those who actually had blood in their hands? And if the authorities at the time had cut that short before so many lives were lost; would you blame them for infringing on the sacrosanct right of free expression? If so, then explain why you believe this right to be so sacrosanct.

Similar to the idea of freedom of speech is the idea of freedom of movement; the notion that people should be able to go where they want without restrictions from the government. Unlike freedom of speech, though, people are much more willing to let this one slide since doing otherwise would obviously destroy society. People shouldn't be able to go into private property of another ust because they want, obviously, otherwise the very idea of private property is lost. Likewise, saying the government shouldn't ever restrict the freedom of movement of someone would quickly result in a lot of dangerous people in the streets.
The difference is ownership. I can say something without infringing on your person or physical property.

Ownership is one of the possibilities. Other (legitimate) reasons to restrict mobility would include disasters, the person in question being unable to act rationally, the person in question being a dangerous criminal, punishment for a crime (even if the person is not dangerous), military service, other compulsory forms of work, and I am sure there are many others I don't even imagine right now.

Which is my point, the freedom of movement isn't a sacrosanct right; it is not taken as some kind of inalienable right; in fact, possibly no one even regards it as such. In that case, freedom of movement is not really something that guides lawmaking. Laws and rulings can and do infringe on it when they have reason to. And bad laws or rulings do so even when they don't (see how Australia is dealing with the issue right now for an example). If freedom of movement's importance is to say "hey, don't restrict your citizen's movements unless you have to; then it is just obvious common sense. My point is that the same should then apply to "free speech".

But I think this is a very telling example. Why exactly should the government be allowed to wield authority to stop someone from going somewhere, but not the authority to stop someone from saying something?
Because the suppression of movement isn't the suppression of ideas or beliefs, within reason.

You're comparing apples to oranges. You might as well be saying "well, murder is illegal, so why not children's books?".

The point is that both are freedoms delineated by the liberal movement at one point of time or another. Also, there are plenty of "children's books" [if you can call them that; they are neither fir for children nor for the written medium] that should be illegal. Again, if you want to argue that "opinions" are something that must be respected at all costs, then explain why do you believe so. Is this a moral belief; that is, do you think it is immoral to censure someone no matter how vile what they teach is? Is it a practical stance?

Obviously the world where that particular png file you responded with before doesn't equate to the paragraph you just wrote, and should have written to begin with.

The point of the meme is that you come across as a silly troll.

You say the "so-called conservatives", implying that you aren't one of them and that you're a real conservative. Ergo, you're the "conservative" I was referring to.

What world do you live in that understanding this is so difficult for you?

You wrote "conservatives" on the plural and without other qualifications; while comparing them (whoever they are) to liberals. The result is that whatever you say will sound like "group A usually works like this; while group B is the opposite". Not that you are talking about me in specific.

As for me being the real conservative; as far as the term goes, I suppose all groups have an equal right to say they are conservatives; even these guys:

democrats-are-the-real-racists-comic.png

But trying to conserve anything that has already absorbed liberalism is a losing proposition, I believe. The issue is that liberalism is ever changing, it takes its substance from the idea of putting will above intellect. As such, it is thrown around by diverse passions and always breaks with its past. At one moment, it is ruled by lust and breaks away from any traditions that try to preserve the family and dignity. Then it might be ruled by pride and attack the very ideals of "free love" it sought before because it "objectifies women". Then, ruled by frustration it might lash out against free speech; because now people want to make themselves women or men, or something in between, and they hate anyone who reminds then how poorly they emulate what they choose.

You want censorship. You advocate it even though it'd be wiser for you to advocate free speech until you can swing the pendulum of social power even slightly back in your direction. Yet here you sit, effectively advocating your own elimination because you live in the fantasy that any day now the Catholic/Orthodox/whatever church is going to start a new Inquisition and purge all the LGBT pedos from power.

I don't care for politicking. I advocate for what I believe to be right, not what is favourable for me. Nevertheless, I will speak against those who use such power to silence the Church or its doctrines. But just as policemen closing up Churches won't make me throw my lot in with the defund the police movement, neither will I deny that censorship can be a good tool for the public good just because it happens to be used against me.

Saying something is doing something. And frequently it is the worst kind of thing you could do. Also, again, which world do you live in? Do you really think people aren't thrown in jail for saying stuff nowadays?
Sticks and stones. There are a lot of assault or rape victims that would probably disagree with you that saying mean things is the worst thing you could do.

I match your rape victim and raise you to autist transgender who kills himself after four years dilating.
Seems like you're pretty far gone if you can't see that though, so not sure what else there is I can say other than good luck "making blasphemy illegal". Let me know how that goes. :M

It will become reality one day, one way or the other. Someone put a whole bunch of spoilers about that at the end of the Bible.

Generic-Giant-Spider

No one cares anymore. Shut the fuck up both of you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom