Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Is the vehicle pathfinding still borked on the editor?

Well, why don't you load up the editor, make a small convoy, give it three or four waypoints spanning a few kilometres with a cycle then follow it around in an ATV at 4x time? I'm sure that should answer your question fairly quick.

Let us know if it's borked and if it is, submit a bug report to the developers.

potatojohn

Arcane
Yeah I'm mean vehicle pathfinding has only been broken for twelve years and only been pointed out by some ten thousand people, I'm sure if you just file that bug report (a paid job at any normal developer studio btw) they'll fix it right away.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Well, why don't you load up the editor, make a small convoy, give it three or four waypoints spanning a few kilometres with a cycle then follow it around in an ATV at 4x time? I'm sure that should answer your question fairly quick.

I've long since uninstalled ArmA 3 and my connection has a monthly bandwith cap.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The performance increase from the alpha to the beta is pretty amazing on my PC. I'm getting at least double the frames I used to.

MCA
Amazing; after three games and about a dozen expansions and DLCs, they still haven't gotten their act right in animation department. A lot of animations are still fucking atrocious. What the fuck, are the animators girlfriends or boyfriends of someone important?

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
Amazing; after three games and about a dozen expansions and DLCs, they still haven't gotten their act right in animation department. A lot of animations are still fucking atrocious. What the fuck, are the animators girlfriends or boyfriends of someone important?
Yeah animation is clunky when compared to the level of the environment. The fpp part works better but only until you see other players "drifting" around the map instead of walking. I really like the feeling of Stratis but I'm missing some dense forest area. About performance - after few hours of tweaking (I had 40-60 fps in singleplayer and 5-20(sic!) in multiplayer I found out that it was the Nvidia drivers that are fucking this up. I put the arma3.exe into the Nvidia control panel and turned off every option or set it to performance setting so the graphics were completely controlled by the game. This resulted in 20-60 fps in multi depending on the server (wasteland mission) on high/ultra settings. Also viewing range set to 2km visibility/1km obj.

CreamyBlood

Arcane

I've long since uninstalled ArmA 3 and my connection has a monthly bandwith cap.

I checked out an earlier convoy mission that I abandoned and they drove down roads from one side of the island to the other. They occasionally did weird stuff like driving off the road and going around a rock on the hill but a few moments later they were still on course. Also avoided running over their own troops like they did in one of the first builds.

Probably best to get a fully patched and modded Arma 2 version as this will be a couple of years until it's playable on that level.

Vicissitudes

Augur
Patron
Sa-Matra's are only worthy wasteland servers. Things that keep the dayz crowd away: no gps on the map, no tpp bullshit, no custom loot, no random ai with the b3st l00t 3v3r, mod completely controlled by the creator, also highest fps, lots of base building materials. Usually people in your side want to group so communication is fast even without ts3. It's a shame there's only a handful of servers with it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah who gives a shit which server is best when BIS dumbed the fuck down out of ArmA3 just to please 15 years old Wasteland retards that demanded instant gratification.

But yeah have fun in Wasteland Standalone.

MetalCraze

Arcane
There's a lot of mirroring for "pvp balance" (launchers for both sides are exactly the same, guns for both sides 6.5mm caseless, squad compositions and soldier loadouts are exactly the same, hell they even cut out commander seat on Patria because Marid is a two seater). Cars have exactly the same weapons. MX SW can't even be switched into semi-auto mode and other MX rifles can't accept 100 bullet mags because BLUFOR gotta have its MG just like OPFOR at the expense of common sense.

You can carry max weight of 200 kgs and never suffer any penalties (because they were cut out after 5th march release) because obviously since wasteland players run around on foot and play lone wolf they got to have the ability to play one man army. You can carry antimateriel rifle, a launcher, an assault rifle, a bunch of rockets and a ton of mags and there will be no penalty. When true ArmA fans(tm) whined BIS response to this was "we will probably going to look into this but can't promise anything" which was like a giant middle finger.

Same goes for medic system. Medics are utterly pointless in the game since you now have magical FAKs that heal you in 3-4 seconds, removing any negative effects and you can use them as much as you want Dragon Rising style. That's a health regen faster than CoD ironically - but hey at least you have to middle click when wounded, it's not automatic.

You also can't bleed out from wounds because that would've been too hardcore for a wasteland player. Can even bleed out in the damn Dragon Rising.

Then they've added the retarded red circle on the map that always tells you your position on any difficulty - because wasteland players gotta know where they are and most WL servers disable markers and play on veteran.

AM sniper rifles also have no recoil so it's easier to kill with them making them even more OP than ever. And they are fucking .50 cal and have almost NO recoil I repeat.

And shit like this goes on and on. Instead of fixing real problems BIS is too busy adding stupid shit like stream friendly UI and public MP friend invites that of course will not work on 3/4 servers because they run damn mods. But hey both of these work perfectly for wasteland.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
TL;DR: They're turning what used to be at least somewhat of a milsim into something more and more gamey (and not a very good game either).

Even more TL;DR: Armafield 3

It's getting to the point where I'm no longer confident mods will fix it.

MCA
Jesus fucking Christ. And I was thinking if I made a mistake letting that alpha slip by while still (relatively) cheap.

The way skyway makes it sound, BF3 might end up being a better milsim than ArmA3.

Suchy

Arcane
Aw fuck it. Looks like I'll stick to Arma 2 for a while longer, until ACE3 kicks in for good.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'm at the point where I don't want to screw around with too many mods as the game is in flux and too many things keep changing.

If you'd like to play in CDS we are just using the vanilla game but the ShackTac HUD is indispensable. You don't need it to join but it helps. Here's how to get it up and running.

========================
CBA (Community Base Addon)
========================

First you need CBA (Community Base Addon) to get most mods to work properly. Download it from here (scroll to the bottom of the page):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18768

Unzip it and then copy the @CBA_A3 folder to your Arma 3 directory.

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

1750916-PODQGDL.jpg

========================
ShackTac Hud (STHUD)
========================

Here's an overview of what it is:

Download it from:

https://dev-heaven.net/projects/sthud/files?sort=created_on:desc,filename

Make sure you get the version dated July 3/2013

1750744-NV4734V.png

Unzip it somewhere.

Navigate to your Arma 3 directory.

I deleted all of my mods once the beta came out, so delete anything with an @sign in front of it (if you want to but not the @CBA_A3 folder if you just copied it over). I'd suggest at least delelting @sthud folder if you have an earlier version.

Then copy the folder called @sthud into your Arma 3 directory.

1750920-VUB4WKU.jpg

There are at least three ways to load up mods, using a batch file, doing it manually in-game under the 'Expansion' settings or adding a command line to to your steam settings. I think all methods have been covered in earlier posts in this thread.

In this case since you basically will always want to use this mod, I'll just show the easy way to do it so that it always loads up when you launch Arma 3 Beta.

In your Steam Library, right click Arma 3 Beta->Properties->GENERAL TAB->SET LAUNCH OPTIONS

Then add:

-nosplash -world=empty -mod=@CBA_A3;@sthud

-nosplash and -world=empty speed up your loading, no splash screens and your menu background should be an empty ocean.

That's about it, you should see a coloured CBA icon in the right side of your main menu screen and then finally the actual ShackTac HUD when you join a game.

1750930-1BL5GA1.jpg

1750925-WYO52DF.jpg

Cheers!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Breaking news.

ArmA3 will not have campaign on release and possibly will not feature any tanks and planes too.
According to the developer the campaign is planned to be added "some time after release" (CCGM didn't get its MP patch 10 months after release and the promise was the same)

If this isn't a disaster of a game I don't know what is.

Yes none of the above is a joke.
It's genuinely ArmA: Colonial Marines level of fuck up

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Breaking news.

ArmA3 will not have campaign on release and possibly will not feature any tanks and planes too.
According to the developer the campaign is planned to be added "some time after release" (CCGM didn't get its MP patch 10 months after release and the promise was the same)

If this isn't a disaster of a game I don't know what is.

Yes none of the above is a joke.
It's genuinely ArmA: Colonial Marines level of fuck up

WHAT THE FUCK :rage:I would comment on that but at the moment I'm raging at the monitor too much to write a comprehensive post.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
What the fuck? No campaign on release? What's the point of releasing the final version then? Why not just leave the game in beta for a while longer?

And...

The only thing I will say now: there will be a campaign for Arma 3 soon after initial release, and it will be FREE for everyone who has the game.

Why thank you. How very generous of you. I was expecting to pay extra for the campaign.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah it's very much that
After DayZ success the original team moved on to make DayZ SA and the new team that was mostly last year modder hires came in their place and scrapped everything. And instead focused on catering to the lowest common denominator.

Campaign is missing but then again one of the devs on it has Modern Warfare 2 as his most played Steam game.
Haha maybe it's even for the best if campaign isn't there

zwanzig_zwoelf

This is not good.
Won't buy it on Day 1 if there's no chicken run mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom