Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArmA2 Videos

Destroid

Arcane
I haven't played ARMA2 but PR I found pretty awful, I'd much rather play BF2 or some of it's other mods such as POE.

EDIT: BF2 also requires teamwork to win, an organised team will demolish a bunch of people playing independently. Just because it has arcadey mechanics doesn't mean that it doesn't require skill or teamwork.
EDIT2: Unless there are jets on the map fuck those guys.

Joghurt

Augur
MetalCraze said:
Nah. PR is an arcade.

You can play with human opponents in AA2 as well (you can play anyhow you want in fact). And unlike PR it won't suck hard because it isn't Battlefield-Without-Crosshairs. In good PvP stakes are too high (no respawn). But it's still will be inferior to coop (see below)

AI in AA2 with mods is good enough to do what you want it to do in a mission, unlike human players.

Human players won't drive convoys.
Human players won't sit in the same position for an hour not suspecting an incoming attack after another objectives will be complete.
Human players won't allow you to play a stealth mission due to a reason above
Human players won't act along the scenario the mission maker planned so the mission won't be interesting.
Human players can only play deathmatch and nothing else.

AIs will move in formations, they will flank you, they will retreat, regroup and counter-attack, they will take cover - just enough to have an intense firefight (in fact on this Sunday Op we were holding an enemy counter-attack for half an hour - and AI forced us to retreat two times because it outflanked us)

I don't understand what you don't like about modded AA2 AI, considering that it's the most advanced AI out of all action games to date.

PvP is inferior because at best you can play a tactical A&D mission where one group of players attacks and the other defends the objective. We play these on occassion too - but they usually last for half of an hour and there is not much to them.

Oh come on Skyway! Did you even play PR with normal people?

Of course you won't see huge convoys in PR because there are only 32 players on both sides but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I've played matches with pretty cool stuff going on where we would have 2 Abrams tanks and two Hummers following the road to take the objective with Cobra covering us from above.

And to answer to you previous post about players in PR respawning at the squad leader - no you can't respawn by the side of your squad leader. In the last version I've played players could only respawn at rally points (placed by the SL but they cannot be placed near the objectives), forward outposts (which required the players to build them with shovels) and main base. I think in 0.9 they ditched the rally points (I haven't played the latest version) because they wanted players to be afraid of dieing. Now the players have to build forward outposts and setup the base defenses (Sandbags, MGs, AAs and other shit) so thay FO doesn't get overrun by the enemy or respawn at the fucking main base.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Of course you won't see huge convoys in PR because there are only 32 players on both sides but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I've played matches with pretty cool stuff going on where we would have 2 Abrams tanks and two Hummers following the road to take the objective with Cobra covering us from above.

Read my point about A&D above because that's exactly what you mean. Except in ArmA it's much more interesting due to a realism, hugeass map scale and the lack of respawn.

In the last version I've played players could only respawn at rally points (placed by the SL but they cannot be placed near the objectives), forward outposts (which required the players to build them with shovels) and main base. I think in 0.9 they ditched the rally points (I haven't played the latest version) because they wanted players to be afraid of dieing. Now the players have to build forward outposts and setup the base defenses (Sandbags, MGs, AAs and other shit) so thay FO doesn't get overrun by the enemy or respawn at the fucking main base.

Pffft!

And now let's see how respawn goes on in a typical AA2 mission that has it by some horrible mistake.

You die. There is 3-5 minutes timer before you can respawn. You always respawn at the single possible point which has to be set at the mission creation stage because thankfully for non-CTI gaming modes having only one respawn point is hardcoded into the engine and can't be changed. The mission itself usually goes some 5+ kms away from the base (if not more). You either have to wait for transport (in our clan we have players doing that with transport choppers, when they are not busy flying combat choppers) or grab the transport yourself if there is no other way of getting back into the combat. If there is a vehicle available because they don't magically respawn (if not - go make yourself a tea - it's game over for you). All in all you can easily spend 15 to 20 minutes getting back to your squad so even with respawn it's still far from PR arcade.

And because of that we manage to go on for hours without dying in a game where a single bullet may mean death.

Destroid

Arcane
For me that is an exercise in tedium. I have no interest in waiting around doing nothing for minutes waiting for my bros to pick me up in a chopper so I can possibly die again in seconds. It was my main issue with PR there was so much waiting around with nothing happening, it is not a fun way to spend your videogaming time.

baronjohn

Cipher
Destroid said:
For me that is an exercise in tedium. I have no interest in waiting around doing nothing for minutes waiting for my bros to pick me up in a chopper so I can possibly die again in seconds. It was my main issue with PR there was so much waiting around with nothing happening, it is not a fun way to spend your videogaming time.
Your problem is that you don't find guns sexually attractive, which is a prerequisite for enjoying ArmA 1/2.

Suchy

Arcane
Destroid said:
And that's the point. You do everything not to die because in this case death means something. You can't be careless, so you stick to your team, following orders and "larping" because that helps you survive.

Though I agree that too much of actual military jargon via teamspeak is indeed real larping.

Destroid

Arcane
In a multiplayer shooter, you are going to be dying. A lot. If no-one is dying, no-one is fighting.

Joghurt

Augur
Destroid said:
In a multiplayer shooter, you are going to be dying. A lot. If no-one is dying, no-one is fighting.

Not really. I've had tons of fun in both ArmA and PR without killing a single enemy and dying maybe 4 times in 2-3 hour match.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Destroid said:
There's a really great mission in OFP where you get stuck behind enemy lines and have to make your way through a forest at night. With lost of enemy infantry in it. And the occasional tank and Hind. Neither of which you can effectively damage, good times.
Oh, God. That was my favorite part of the game.
I remember hiding in some bushes next to a road with a t-72 (or whatever) rumbling down the roads towards me. Fortunately, the beast didn't see me (I hid well ;) ) and drove right on by.

CrimHead

Scholar
But Skyway! Isn't respawning AT ALL in a game that calls itself a military REALITY simulator a betrayal of it's theme? If you get shot in real life, you don't respawn! You're dead!

But Skyway! Isn't using a keyboard and mouse--

Ok yeah, see where I'm going? You're grasping at straws.

Normal people don't give a flying shit about wind resistance on bullets or whatever the fuck it is you've convinced yourself is an essential component of good shooters thus leading you to completely disregard anything that isn't 100% ULTRA BONER INDUCINGLY REALISTIC

HOLY SHIT *FAP FAP FAP* HOLY SHIT MY CHARACTER'S HEART RATE IS GOING UP AS I RUN AROUND

PERSPIRATION IS GATHERING ON MY VISORS

*FAP FAP FAP*

OH GAWD THE VISUALS

*FAP FAP FAP*

Suchy

Arcane
CrimHead said:
Normal people don't give a flying shit about wind resistance on bullets or whatever the fuck it is you've convinced yourself is an essential component of good shooters thus leading you to completely disregard anything that isn't 100% ULTRA BONER INDUCINGLY REALISTIC
Normal people don't give a flying shit about 50 stats or whatever the fuck C&C you've convinced yourself is an essential component of a good RPG.
Normal people are the 5-digit popamole newfags.

CrimHead

Scholar
^Idiotic post.

50 stats would actually have a tangible effect on gameplay.

Your weapon swaying from side to side as you run has absolutely none whatsoever besides :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: GRAPHICAL REALISM

ITS LIKE IM ACTUALLY THERE

And I'm not even sure wind resistance on bullets or whatever has any effect on gameplay either. It's just aspie shit. They should've made a good campaign instead of focusing so much on GRAFIX and technicalities. OFP was a classic because IT HAD A FUN CAMPAIGN AND WASN'T JUST A BIG FUCKING ASPIE MILFAG CIRCLEJERK LIKE ARMA2

Suchy

Arcane
CrimHead said:
^Idiotic post.

50 stats would actually have a tangible effect on gameplay.

Yeah, stats totally kill gameplay...
17-ch0118.png
18-ch0119.png

19-ch0120.png
20-ch0121.png

...so let's streamline them down to Oblivion.

CrimHead

Scholar
HUH.

I was making the point that 50 stats would be a good thi...

I..

HUH?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
The point is that the game itself has a "srs bsns" gameplay - and you have to adjust to it - see points above.

I actually understand now why people not knowing what ArmA is thought that those videos showed "LARPing". There is no LARPing - surviving in the game is indeed hard and requires crystal clear teamwork with formations and all kinds of procedures. That's why there are versions of it for real world armies incl. US, UK and Australia. So yeah when some BMP rolls in it's indeed a "serious business" in the game because it can wipe out a whole squad in under 10 seconds. And considering that - thanks to real-life tactics applied we are managing to survive for 3-4 hours with minimal losses.

Aye, alreet bub.

Suchy

Arcane
CrimHead said:
HUH.

I was making the point that 50 stats would be a good thi...

I..

HUH?
My bad then, my English failed me. Thought 'tangible' meant something like: has a negative effect.

Anyway keeping track of stuff like bullet weight and wind does affect gameplay a lot. Try using a sniper rifle from 800+ meters.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Destroid said:
For me that is an exercise in tedium. I have no interest in waiting around doing nothing for minutes waiting for my bros to pick me up in a chopper so I can possibly die again in seconds.
Learn to play then?

CrimHead said:
But Skyway! Isn't respawning AT ALL in a game that calls itself a military REALITY simulator a betrayal of it's theme? If you get shot in real life, you don't respawn! You're dead!
Yes. I'm anti-respawn myself. Nobody's forcing you to play with it.
But you just wrote a 'game' didn't you?

See - what consoletards like you don't get is that there are people who want their shooters to be something more than pointing crosshair at the enemy and twitching the same button for hours. Stick to your Mass Effect, complete it in 6 hours, uninstall it while going meh and installing Mass Effect 2 to again have some primitive gameplay and then go and baaaww on the Codex how console shit is primitive so you will seem hardcore to your bros before playing another primitive shit.

I meanwhile will enjoy every second of something as trivial as shooting because even shooting in this game is relatively complex.

Your weapon swaying from side to side as you run has absolutely none whatsoever besides oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy GRAPHICAL REALISM
Did you miss the part about realistic ballistics? If you will pull the trigger the bullet will fly from the barrel and hit whatever is in front of the barrel. That may be a ground below your feet as well. Everything is fair. There is no hitscan like in your arcades.

And I'm not even sure wind resistance on bullets or whatever has any effect on gameplay either.
You mean like wind pulling bullet from its initial trajectory so you have to adjust your aim to counter the wind deflection?

OFP was a classic because IT HAD A FUN CAMPAIGN AND WASN'T JUST A BIG FUCKING ASPIE MILFAG CIRCLEJERK LIKE ARMA2
But you have never played OFP as evidenced by your post. Because it's exactly like ArmA2, except ArmA2 has a better gameplay.

Seriously dude, don't try to argue with me when you know nothing about the game at hand. You are just coming off as a raging idiot.

I'm really amazed though. Now there are people on the Codex who want their games to be a primitive shit instead of enjoyable and complex.

Tycn

Savant
Bromes, you're even more full of shit than usual today. For starters, the hitscan you've been whining about in every second post does not exist. And are you seriously obtuse enough to claim that bullets traveling to the side if for some obscure reason you decide to shoot while running has a significant or even tangible on gameplay?

MetalCraze

Arcane
For starters, the hitscan you've been whining about in every second post does not exist.
Really? Let's see. In PR you put your aimpoint over the enemy - the damage adds to what is in the center of the screen right at the aimpoint with some random spread applied. Like in 95% of shooters.

And are you seriously obtuse enough to claim that bullets traveling to the side if for some obscure reason you decide to shoot while running has a significant or even tangible on gameplay?
Yeah like bullets flying where the gun points and you not hitting what you want to hit perhaps? The game is blocking you from firing when running btw. But you can fire while bringing your gun to bear while stopping or slowing which takes time, and waste some bullets in the process - so you can't instaheadshot some dude right away like in PR. Reality is a bitch I know.

Tycn

Savant
No. BF2 already had drop and travel time but the bullet cones were fairly drastic. PR fixes the latter.

So firing while your gun is turned to the side because you're running is an integral part of ArmA 2 combat? Having realistic features is fine but you can hardly claim that something as peripheral as that makes it gameplay-wise a closer approximation of modern combat.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So firing while your gun is turned to the side because you're running is an integral part of ArmA 2 combat? Having realistic features is fine but you can hardly claim that something as peripheral as that makes it gameplay-wise a closer approximation of modern combat.

Don't fire your gun while it still isn't brought to bear? I don't get your problem with this?
Yes you need some time to move your weapon from down below to in-front-of-your-eyes - you know just like in reality.
Nobody forces you to fire when you don't have a good aim.

Oh baaawww I can't insta-fire after running at the dead center of the screen like in ololo-ifragu shooters?

Tycn

Savant
*facepalm*

To reiterate:
Having realistic features is fine but you can hardly claim that something as peripheral as that makes it gameplay-wise a closer approximation of modern combat.

I think it's positively wonderful that your weapon goes to the side when you run in ArmA 2. However, it means fuck-all in terms of gameplay. Making your accuracy drop down to nil while moving is just an effective a technique for deterring run and gun.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Except in the first case it fits in the game naturally, e.g. not on purpose, not scripted, because of the realistic ballistics modelling and depends on how gun is positioned (you can make your own custom animation holding that gun and the gun will still shoot according to RL rules, because starting points for bullet are a part of 3d model itself) and the second one is a cheap trick.

In the first case you will be able to shoot an enemy 10m away when you will pull the trigger and the gun is pointing at him

In PR's case you will miss even from 10m because of that retarded cheap trick. Even if the enemy is right in front of the barrel.

See the difference?

Are you actually arguing that realistic ballistics that play fair are worse than the retarded Counter-Strike like spread that has nothing to do with real life? The fuck?

Tycn

Savant
Unless shooting someone to your side because your gun model was conveniently pointed in their direction is an integral part of the game (which would make for some pretty convoluted gameplay), that sounds like LARPing. Why care so much about that particular aspect of ballistic modeling when the end result is pretty much the same?
Are you actually arguing that realistic ballistics that play fair are worse than the retarded Counter-Strike like spread that has nothing to do with real life? The fuck?
Classic Skyway argumentation. No, I'm not claiming what you are pretending I am.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom