Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArmA2 Videos

MetalCraze

Arcane
CrimHead said:
Congrats, the video you posted of BF2 is equally as old
So? I guess there were some bugs that made the gameplay look like shit?

and is played co-op, which is not at all representative of how the game actually plays online.
And coop is not an online game?

Who is retard?

Not me :smug:

Are you upset about me pointing out that PR plays like a retarded shit where people run around carelessly, jump around, strafe - all while shooting at each other and yet it's being called Project Reality?

EDIT: OMG what do I see here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZyDYgZsmvE

But... but I thought there was no "LARPing" in BF2?
And what's with morons running around while still being able to hold their weapon straight? I though it was Project "Reality"?

CrimHead

Scholar
So? I guess there were some bugs that made the gameplay look like shit?

It's a very early (.5) version of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of bugs in it.

And coop is not an online game?

I've never even played Co-op. I don't think it's important at all. While we're on the subject of shit, however, let's talk about ARMA 2's campaign for a second...

Are you upset about me pointing out that PR plays like a retarded shit where people run around carelessly, jump around, strafe while shooting at each other and yet it's being called Project Reality?

I wouldn't be upset even if that were true. I speak from experience, you can't hit shit firing from the hip 10 feet away from someone, let alone while strafing. You pretty much can't hit ANYTHING while moving or from the hip.

Are you sure you aren't confusing Project Reality with... BATTLEFIELD 2? Are you sure you aren't confusing tactics and realistic squad-based gameplay with larping srs bsns like the ARMA2 fags I see on youtube?

There's no bunny hopping in PR. You can't shoot while jumping. Your stamina would be depleted faster than fuck if you even attempting consecutive jumps while running. No one runs around carelessly. If you don't join a squad, group up with them, and follow your leader's advice to the T you will be kicked from most servers. Quit bitching about shit you know nothing abou

Oh wait

MetalCraze

Arcane
CrimHead said:
It's a very early (.5) version of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of bugs in it.
Again I ask - bugs made people running around strafing and jumping in a mod called Project Reality?

I've never even played Co-op. I don't think it's important at all. While we're on the subject of shit, however, let's talk about ARMA 2's campaign for a second...

Coop is not important in a game that's supposed to be about "reality" which isn't a shitty deathmatch?

OK. What do you want to talk about in it?

I wouldn't be upset even if that were true. I speak from experience, you can't hit shit firing from the hip 10 feet away from someone, let alone while strafing. You pretty much can't hit ANYTHING while moving or from the hip.
So? It's still hit-scan crap, just applies hit spread calculated randomly

Are you sure you aren't confusing Project Reality with... BATTLEFIELD 2?
No I'm not. Unless my eyes lie to me.

Are you sure you aren't confusing tactics and realistic squad-based gameplay with larping srs bsns like the ARMA2 fags I see on youtube?

Tactics and realistic squad-based gameplay = a bunch of people running like morons around the map, holding weapon straight, carrying a lot of weapons, jumping onto a meter high objects with 30 KGs on their back while their weapon is stuck to a dead-center of the screen and everything is hit-scan?
Now let me guess when you die you also respawn next to your fireteam?

Larping srs bsns = a strong emphasis on teamwork, actual tactics where each squad is a part of a big operation, procedures that do help us to stay alive in a mission without any respawns, proper communications that keep commanders on top of the situation and fireteams knowing that they aren't lost? ArmA2 is a realistic sim and so the only way to play it is like in reality, not running around like morons which will get you (and not only you) killed.
Add to that that we can have whatever type of a mission objective we want thanks to all possibilities available in the game.

So no - I'm not.

There's no bunny hopping in PR. You can't shoot while jumping.
Yet players still jump like morons. Onto high objects. While carrying stuff.

If you don't join a squad, group up with them, and follow your leader's advice to the T you will be kicked from most servers.

But I thought there is no "larping"?!

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO STOP LYING I ALMOST THREW A TINFOIL THUNDERBOLT WHEN READING YOUR FAG LARP STORY ABOUT RUNNING ROUND LAST MAN SURVINGING LOLOLLOLOLOLOL

BRO LOLOLLOL I BET YOU HAVE WON LIKE SEVEN YOUTUBE ARMA2 VIDEOS TONIGHT GO AHEAD WITH YOUR NEXTGEN ONE BUTTON WIN BULLSHIT LOLLOLOL NEXTGEN HOMOFAG

MetalCraze

Arcane
Well yes. Running from Mi24 and surviving was pretty fun, considering that nothing is scripted in this game and death means you go and make yourself a tea while the game shows you a game over screen. You can't shoot Mi24 down with light firearms like in your shitty console games and it's very deadly.

You are pretty dumb but you are still amusing when you rage about a game that is more complex than a random console shit shooter of yours.

Destroid

Arcane
There's a really great mission in OFP where you get stuck behind enemy lines and have to make your way through a forest at night. With lost of enemy infantry in it. And the occasional tank and Hind. Neither of which you can effectively damage, good times.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO LOLLOLOL NO RAGE JUST AMUSED PEOPLE PLAY THIS NEXT GEN DUMBED DOWN CRAP

BRO YOU JUST LEARNED ABOUT RPGS LAST YEAR I GET YOU ARE EXCITED ABOUT COMPLICATED GAMES AND SHIT

MetalCraze

Arcane
And you had to use stars for orientation (if you are speaking about the latter one, the first one like that was in the morning). BTW you can steal chopper in it from the starting base and it will have a compass. Or you can steal a BMP nearby.

I actually remember that to survive that Mi24 I had to drop my weapon and magazines, because I was blacking out and falling while running with all that weight (I was an MG gunner). I then had to make my way through the enemy territory armed with only a handgun to the nearest friendly squad more than a kilometer away with some enemies chasing me from the rear. Damn that was fun.

@Bro: calling a 10 years old series that became only more complex and challenging with time - a next-gen dumbed down crap doesn't really help the point you use when raging about me.

Tycn

Savant
Project Reality is shit because your gun model doesn't turn sideways when you run. This is very important for me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Weapon sway affected by breathing and wounds, weapon having weight and recoil, realistic ballistics affected by wind and distance with bullet drop and the bullet starting in the barrel of a gun and travelling from there in real time without any hit-scans should be one of the important things in something that calls itself "Reality", yes.

CrimHead

Scholar
2283585.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ah I get it. Realism means respawning 15 secs after dying then jumping onto a meter-high crate in a full gear and insta-headshoting another guy 20m away upon landing while your team does the same. With Apache doing 180 degree turns at full speed in the sky and Abrams not being able to pass through titanium wooden fences.

Shit I always thought it was about realistic weapons, realistic wounding, organized teamwork (not "omg there is compound ahead, let's rush inside it like morons!" instead of using some breaching procedure that will keep all of your men alive because they don't just respawn 50 meters away - if there's a respawn at all).

You truly opened my eyes, guys. I guess that's why Project Reality moved to ArmA2. They thought that PR was too hardcore in its realism and so they've chosen a civilian variant of a NATO training software instead

Stoiv

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Ah I get it. Realism means respawning 15 secs after dying then jumping onto a meter-high crate in a full gear and insta-headshoting another guy 20m away upon landing while your team does the same. With Apache doing 180 degree turns at full speed in the sky and Abrams not being able to pass through titanium wooden fences.

Shit I always thought it was about realistic weapons, realistic wounding, organized teamwork (not "omg there is compound ahead, let's rush inside it like morons!" instead of using some breaching procedure that will keep all of your men alive because they don't just respawn 50 meters away - if there's a respawn at all).

You truly opened my eyes, guys. I guess that's why Project Reality moved to ArmA2. They thought that PR was too hardcore in its realism and so they've chosen a civilian variant of a NATO training software instead

Yes, the engine has it's limitations but that doesn't stop PR from being a better game.

and I wouldn't call having a medic wave his hands around your body to magically heal you completely "realistic wounding".

MetalCraze

Arcane
Stoiv said:
Yes, the engine has it's limitations but that doesn't stop PR from being a better game.

Better how? Project Reality is a primitive arcade while ArmA2 is a realistic military sim. Comparing them on the same level already proved that PR sucks hard as a realistic tactical game. You will be better off comparing PR to BF2 or COD because it has no chance against heavy-weight player.

and I wouldn't call having a medic wave his hands around your body to magically heal you completely "realistic wounding".
Would you rather want to get yourself transported back to base and lie for 1 month in real-time healing? And note that only medic can really heal you, while everyone else can only give you the first aid (like stopping bleeding). There is a realistic wounding but up to a point where it doesn't stop being a game while keeping it simulation (although BIS included field hospital and medevacs if you just need to move it to a ridiculous sim level - you will get healed only there)
Here is why:
Wounds are being calculated based on where bullet hits - that means that it can even hit your weapon and you will get no damage unlike in PR - then bullet velocity gets taken into account - is its speed and the caliber high enough to penetrate the armour? If yes is it enough to send you rolling on the ground crying and bleeding or totally insta killing you? Or if it doesn't penetrate armour you just feel the pain with the weapon shaking. Same goes for non-armoured body parts - if hand gets non-heavy wounds you get your weapon shaking, making firing harder. Injuring legs will force you to crawl around, unable to walk. Heck even backpack on your back full of something has a chance of slowing the bullet enough.
None of those magical Health Points from PR.

And I'm not even talking about ACE mod which totally dumps PR and takes realism to the next level (losing consciousness, bandages, heart massage, adrenaline, morphine and so on).

So yeah better compare it to CoD or BF because its place is right there.

Quilty

Magister
Haven't played project realism, but come on, saying that ARMA2 is basically just dumb ass larping is unfair. Sure, I thought it was silly when I saw videos of AMRA made by dudes who seemed to put way too much time and effort into simulating warfare in a game, but once I got into it I realized how much fun playing around with its mechanics can be. BF2, and especially bad company 2, strike me as very arcadey games, ones that feel at home in that sort of category. Pulling off a good arcade feel in a game about warfare is a considerable challenge, one that was met perfectly in BF2. I don't really see why anybody would try and "fix" the game so that it's more realistic. That's what ARMA is here for.

Suchy

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Well yes. Running from Mi24 and surviving was pretty fun, considering that nothing is scripted in this game and death means you go and make yourself a tea while the game shows you a game over screen. You can't shoot Mi24 down with light firearms like in your shitty console games and it's very deadly.
Actually you can, if you hit the rotor. It's fucking hard, but not impossible.
Also with a high velocity sniper rifle or a machine gun, you're able to shoot the pilot.

MetalCraze

Arcane
The point is that the game itself has a "srs bsns" gameplay - and you have to adjust to it - see points above.

I actually understand now why people not knowing what ArmA is thought that those videos showed "LARPing". There is no LARPing - surviving in the game is indeed hard and requires crystal clear teamwork with formations and all kinds of procedures. That's why there are versions of it for real world armies incl. US, UK and Australia. So yeah when some BMP rolls in it's indeed a "serious business" in the game because it can wipe out a whole squad in under 10 seconds. And considering that - thanks to real-life tactics applied we are managing to survive for 3-4 hours with minimal losses.

Suchy said:
Actually you can, if you hit the rotor. It's fucking hard, but not impossible.
Also with a high velocity sniper rifle or a machine gun, you're able to shoot the pilot.

When chopper is not trying to strafe you with its .30 cal you mean?
I tried that at first. In fact the whole squad started firing at the chopper but it was over very fast when it launched a barrage of rockets at us. Fucking Takistan and its lack of cover.

Stoiv

Educated
MetalCraze said:
I actually understand now why people not knowing what ArmA is thought that those videos showed "LARPing". There is no LARPing - surviving in the game is indeed hard and requires crystal clear teamwork with formations and all kinds of procedures. So yeah when some BMP rolls in it's indeed a "serious business" in the game because it can wipe out a whole squad in under 10 seconds. And considering that - thanks to real-life tactics applied we are managing to survive for 3-4 hours with minimal losses.
Just like in PR!
Only with one big exception, in PR you play against human opponents instead of horribad AI (no matter how much you mod it, it's still pretty bad)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Nah. PR is an arcade.

You can play with human opponents in AA2 as well (you can play anyhow you want in fact). And unlike PR it won't suck hard because it isn't Battlefield-Without-Crosshairs. In good PvP stakes are too high (no respawn). But it's still will be inferior to coop (see below)

AI in AA2 with mods is good enough to do what you want it to do in a mission, unlike human players.

Human players won't drive convoys.
Human players won't sit in the same position for an hour not suspecting an incoming attack after another objectives will be complete.
Human players won't allow you to play a stealth mission due to a reason above
Human players won't act along the scenario the mission maker planned so the mission won't be interesting.
Human players can only play deathmatch and nothing else.

AIs will move in formations, they will flank you, they will retreat, regroup and counter-attack, they will take cover - just enough to have an intense firefight (in fact on this Sunday Op we were holding an enemy counter-attack for half an hour - and AI forced us to retreat two times because it outflanked us)

I don't understand what you don't like about modded AA2 AI, considering that it's the most advanced AI out of all action games to date.

PvP is inferior because at best you can play a tactical A&D mission where one group of players attacks and the other defends the objective. We play these on occassion too - but they usually last for half of an hour and there is not much to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom