Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is gonna be the best From Software game ever. Finally we have Muhyazaki doing what he always wanted.

Nobody inside that company want to do Dodge Souls anymore. All these years of training and improving dev skill, and making money came into place to build the Final Incline and the Definitive Mecha action game.

Here you shoot nukes with the right arm and destroy skyscrapers with your sword, and the damage you suffer you can't recover until you complete the mission, for a fortune that made your effort and tears non profitable.

Doubters go raise agility and drink Estus flasks.

Last time I played Armored Core was on fucking PSP, it's about time these one-trick-pony retards actually made something of note.
Before getting turned into a Souls mill, From Software had remarkable range as a developer, from different varieties of mech action games (AC, Frame Gride, Chromehounds etc.) to first person adventures (Echo Night), to RPGs, to platform games (Cookies & Cream), to character action games (Otogi), to survival horror (Kuon), etc.

I'm much more excited for a new AC than for whatever new degeneration of the Souls formula anyone puts out.

Last edited:

430am

Educated
Before getting turned into a Souls mill, From Software had remarkable range as a developer, from different varieties of mech action games (AC, Frame Gride, Chromehounds etc.) to first person adventures (Echo Night), to RPGs, to platform games (Cookies & Cream), to character action games (Otogi), to survival horror (Kuon), etc.
No shit, that was how long ago now? Most of those people don't work at the company anymore. Might as well say Valve is the same company today as it was during the Orange Box. Or id. Or Blizzard. Newsflash, we're not living in the 90s-00s anymore.

Last edited:
You have a reading comprehension issue. I never said From is the same as it was; I recommend reading the first sentence of my post very slowly (emphasis added to help you along):

"Before getting turned into a Souls mill, From Software had remarkable range as a developer"

You've got a lot to learn before you become a proper edgelord alt.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The first FromSoft title I'm not D1P sold on. Just me? What I love is the sense of place each game has. This one, idk, looks like it has other priorities which may make me wait for a sale or reviews (have 0 experience w/the series)

Dunno, I think the From staple is all there. It has big ass levels, gameplay requires fast thinking, and the world feels post-apocalyptic. What's not to like?

430am

Educated
You have a reading comprehension issue. I never said From is the same as it was; I recommend reading the first sentence of my post very slowly (emphasis added to help you along):

"Before getting turned into a Souls mill, From Software had remarkable range as a developer"

You've got a lot to learn before you become a proper edgelord alt.
So your post essentially said nothing, because your "argument" doesn't apply to From in the last what decade or so and you even admit it yourself? Gotcha. B-buh they made some games other than souls in the nineties when it was a whole different set of people! Okay, I think we all knew that already. Thank you for your incredible insight.

Last edited:
The point, which obviously went completely over your head, is that they haven't always been a one-trick pony, and that is reason enough for me to get more excited about a new AC than a new Souls derivative - this includes efforts from the company that invented the formula.

It was a direct response to your statement that:
it's about time these one-trick-pony retards actually made something of note
They have made many games of note, and especially varied in the past. You didn't specify any timeframe in your original post.

Next time try not being an edgelord retard before trying to dunk on someone.

430am

Educated
You didn't specify any timeframe in your original post.
That's okay, you don't have to move goalposts since you have yourself admitted that they are a "souls mill" and aren't the same company as From in the nineties. The "point" is that you had no point to begin with. In fact it was you that attempted to "dunk" on me but contradicted yourself in the same post. Whoopsie. Don't think any amount of being passive-aggressive and ad homs is going to make it better.

Before From was a Souls mill they were an Armored Core mill.

No shit, that was how long ago now? Most of those people don't work at the company anymore. Might as well say Valve is the same company today as it was during the Orange Box. Or id. Or Blizzard. Newsflash, we're not living in the 90s-00s anymore.

I think a lot of them still do work there. You look at the credits for games like Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi, and Enchanted Arms and you’re still going to find people that worked on those games working on the more recent FromSoftware stuff. There’s still people from the original King’s Field PSX games with credits on Elden Ring. If FromSoftware was a western developer the shift in what they do, and how many years it’s been, likely would mean some huge staff turnover; but From is a Japanese developer.

Last edited:

430am

Educated
There’s still people from the original King’s Field PSX games with credits on Elden Ring
True, yet they're not in major positions or contributions, but rather just there as "supervisors" due to their experience in the field (plus nobody outside of internal knows how much actual work they even do). And what they're doing is accompanying the production of yet another tired souls game for more than a decade now. All the other people make the decisions for a long time now with different goals. A new Armored Core would in fact be something of note that I would be happy about. Provided they go through with it and it's decent.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
All I played was one of the games on PS3. Victory Days? Something like that. I wasn't impressed. I hope they get this done quickly and move on to a new Souls game.

Before From was a Souls mill they were an Armed Core mill.
True, but they also released a lot of other games along the way.

It’s not exactly like they’ve just been doing Dark Souls the past 12 years either. I guess depending on where you fall on Sekiro being a Soulike, half of their output since Dark Souls is stuff that isn’t Dark Souls.

The only major change from now and FromSoftware in the 2000s (essentially once you hit the mid 2000s) is they’re making far fewer games now. But back then they were doing an Armored Core every year, (or more) as well as some game that was basically a variant on Armored Core like Metal Wolf Chaos, Chromehounds, and the Another Century's Episode series.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The only enigma here is whether this is going to be like the past AC games or if it's going to be something else given the changes FromSoft underwent ever since they started doing Souls games, or at the very least there's seems to be this expectation among people. If the game turns out to be like the past AC games, even if you didn't think they were bad games, people who are expecting this to be another major FromSoft release might get disappointed.

Hard to say really. Sekiro was supposed to be another Tenchu game, which shows that FromSoft is indeed a different entity from what it was when they made those games in the past and there's a chance this might be a more significant release than the past AC games. That said, i'm certain anyone who is expecting this to be as major a release as Elden Ring was is going to be disappointed. If this is going to be to Armored Core 5 what Sekiro was to Tenchu, this is a best case scenario all around. Anyone expecting this to be a sprawling massive open world game like Elden Ring was is likely just deluding themselves.

Zlaja

Arcane
Anyone expecting this to be a sprawling massive open world game like Elden Ring was is likely just deluding themselves

They've already specified that the game will be mission based, so it will either be just like the previous titles, or something similar.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is mission based and open world too. Looking at the environments in the trailer I wouldn’t be totally shocked if it was open world.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
He shat on them when they made shit games and praised them when they made good ones, what a hypocrite.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i watched some dude's video, and what i gathered is that the game has some Souls elements (telegraphed attacks that you need to dodge your way out of, possibly a lock on feature) and according to a quote attributed to the director (the same guy who did Sekiro i think), there's also going to be an expanded form of level design. My cynicism was making me think this was going to be open world but the way he worded it made it really sound like traditional Souls level design, like Dark Souls 1 style, with levels interconnecting with each other etc, yet, the fact the mechs can fly around would seem to suggest the maps have to be open.

The level of customization of the armored units will probably prevent this from being as "refined" as everybody says Sekiro is. I'm guessing it will probably be like Elden Ring and Souls in general, lot's of options some better than others. That was also the case with Armored Core 1 when i played it i guess this is just the price one has to pay for customization and build variety.

You could look at the original Armored Core games almost as an extension of what FromSoftware was doing with their King’s Field games...just with mecha. The mech parts are kind of like if armor (like knights armor) encompassed all your stats while also having more detail of what they effected build into them, (turning speed) and the different weapons aren’t totally dissimilar for skills. You’ll even be running around in a lot of underground tunnels.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeah, that one. The most relevant part is the quotation in 20:30. Game will have "intricate map structure" and "combat design that allows players to deal with enemies by carefully observing their movements".

It's gonna be Souls basically. Instead of rolling, you'll be boosting to dodge enemy patterns, which you will have to learn by observing the telegraphed attacks (with some trial and error similar to Souls). Intricate map structure seems to suggest there's going to be a single map with sections in it, like Souls.

Frankly, i'm ok with this. I only played the first Armored Core which was too primitive to really be a point of comparison and was already superceded by the other Armored Cores games anyway so it's irrelevant in this conversation. I'm sure fans of this series (if there are any here) will complain and consider this move towards more complex combat and map design as "decline" because Souls is popular now so obviously it sucks but frankly there was no way they were gonna release a game unless it was going to be as "big" as the Souls. The era of FromSoft releasing smaller games one after the other is long over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom