Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Anonona

Learned
I'm sure fans of this series (if there are any here) will complain and consider this move towards more complex combat and map design as "decline" because Souls is popular now so obviously it sucks but frankly there was no way they were gonna release a game unless it was going to be as "big" as the Souls. The era of FromSoft releasing smaller games one after the other is long over.
Not necessarily. AC is a saga that has some significant changes to its gameplay formula from one main line entry to the next. AC 4 plays very different than 3, and 5 different than 4, so there opinions can vary and there isn't a "true" AC experience, everyone has his favourites. So changes are nothing new. In fact for what I have seen in the trailer it seems more like a balance between AC 4 and 5 movement type and level design but with a more refined combat system, with some good Souls influence both in gameplay design (more responsive controls, focus on skill based combat, better melee but with the classic mech building autism and simulation AC is known for) and enemy design (better and more unique and complex bosses). I'm quite positive about the game and so far haven't really seem any negative reaction to what has been shown.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Original Armored Core was actually quite grounded, and had typical grimdark FromSoft atmosphere and story. Like Souls, it had some weeb shit but for the most part it was palatable to someone like me who hates animu. I think FromSoft has always been consistent with this through out the years.

Machocruz

Arcane
Seemed there were a lot of unavoidable, hitscan attacks from enemies in the older games, many encounters came down to simple war of attrition. So this will change and everything will be theoretically dodgeable? I'm ok with that, the former way ticked me off many a times. Although AC Arena was a meat grinder and I still loved it.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mecha speed seems is gonna be fast but not so insane as AC:FA. In the trailer you can see some fast dodges (cool animation BTW).

if confirmed I think is the right decision in movement speed.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Looks so fucking good that i decide to play the entire franchise

So far i finished AC1 and Project Phantasma. AC1 was great asides from the last mission and PP was.. worse. .

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
I'm sure fans of this series (if there are any here) will complain and consider this move towards more complex combat and map design as "decline" because Souls is popular now so obviously it sucks
I'm good with complex, vertical map design, older ACs had some basic dungeons and platforming and more of that is fine even if it means repair kits being standard and having checkpoints before boss fights (both confirmed).
I'm also okay with complex combat... HOWEVER, changing the camera to be a souls-style lock-on instead of the old AC style tank controls isn't a worthwhile trade-off for that, From mentioned in that first interview:
The essential direction of [Armored Core VI] was to go back and take a good look at the core concept of Armored Core and what made that series special. So we wanted to take the assembly aspect, assembling and customizing your own mech — your AC — and then being able to exact a high level of control over the assembled mech. So we wanted to take those two core concepts and reexamine those in our modern environment.
The important pillar here is stated to be "being able to exact a high level of control". Now if From wants to make the argument that "no actually running circles around a locked enemy by holding right on the thumbstick is high level control" then sure, whatever, but it goes against the initial spirit of the series which was making the controls feel like you were actually piloting a mech.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Youtube shoved this to my face and the Armored Core game he is showing has a lock on of sort:

Not sure though in the trailer you clearly see one of the mechs just pivot around another one in a way that would suggest camera lock similar to Souls. Could by an hybrid system, partial lock but lose enough to zip around non-telehraphed enemy fire.

I actually agree about the mech feeling. Armored Core 1 almost feelt simulationy in a way.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
From that trailer I get the feeling that the game could be more like Souls games. Just the way the mechs move and attack and stuff. Hopefully not.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Youtube shoved this to my face and the Armored Core game he is showing has a lock on of sort:

Not sure though in the trailer you clearly see one of the mechs just pivot around another one in a way that would suggest camera lock similar to Souls. Could by an hybrid system, partial lock but lose enough to zip around non-telehraphed enemy fire.

I actually agree about the mech feeling. Armored Core 1 almost feelt simulation in a way.

Yeah, ACfa does have slight camera drift, but it's not strong enough to call it a lock-on (you can tell any time in that video he uses a melee attack and misses that the camera just doesn't track the opponent at all) and a lot of people even suggest turning it off.
I guess a hybrid system (or the ability to turn it off) is the best we can hope for, it's weird to not have complete control of the camera but I understand FromSoft needs to make it easier for new players to get into the game.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Started watching the video and closed after being amazed at the first shown area, what and upgrade without losing the essence. Don´t want more spoiling.

What I can say is this looks the first Armored Core with the proper budget and resources for the for the greatness they intend to achieve.

Also all the experience they got with last titles is going to help make this the game of the year.

Jinn

Arcane
He actually did a much better job of describing the actual gameplay than any of the other videos, honestly. I appreciate that he re-created the HUD too, as it's crucial to how the game plays. Pretty silly they chose not to display it in the preview footage.

Ivan

Arcane
not watching any vid, so basically mech Sekiro?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom