Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Please don't compare Witcher 3 to this Ubisoft shit. While Witcher 3's world was never as good as its lore, writing, characters, etc and had some elements of Ubisoftness in it (the bandit/monster camps), as a whole, it was nothing like these soulless grinds.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Relax, Ubisoft foolproofs their games. Ain't nothing you can change in settings that will change that shitstorm of an experience.

So Ubigames are like your oneliners.
cool_story_bro.png

I noticed there's a level scaling option. I know level scaling is never a good thing, but I don't trust Ubisoft's level design. For those who have played the game, would it be best to tone it down or should I keep it at default?

It just means that you'll never face level 4 NPCs when you're on level 30. Characters higher than you, won't be scaled down.

If its anything like Origins turning it off simply artificially sets a linear course in which you progress quests.

So this is just wrong. Quest progess doesn't change at all in Origins by turning level scaling or or off.

So difficulty only adds HP to the enemy? No changes to AI, damage etc...?

HP and Damage are increased with difficulty.

The only thing that makes it semi-palatable is how utterly over-leveled the games make sure you are if you do even 1/4 of the optional content; not exactly great design.

Level scaling.

Please don't compare Witcher 3 to this Ubisoft shit.

Why not, it's about the same quality, definitely similar RPGs and definitely similar modernist claptrap plots.

While Witcher 3's world was never as good as its lore, writing, characters, etc and had some elements of Ubisoftness in it (the bandit/monster camps), as a whole, it was nothing like these soulless grinds.

Few things in this world as mediocre and derivative, soulless garbage as the Witcher 3's world, except perhaps the garbage it was based on.

You really have to be one ignorant midwit to think that's "high quality".

University of Oxenfurt? I don't even

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I must admit, I'm not a big fan of The Witcher universe myself. That's probably the main reason I could never get into the games even though I've tried several times and acknowledge their qualities.

So, although this game is clearly inferior in almost everything, the setting alone makes it more appealing to me than W3. I'm basically trying to scratch an itch for that W3 experience without W3's plot/characters/setting. Tough task, I know.

Codex Year of the Donut
men

i'm not reading 44 pages of codex drivel

tl;dr this thing is 75% steam atm

should i buy?
not easy to describe
ever wanted witcher 3 mixed with ancient greece and ALIENS?!
neither did we, but it's what we got

it's alright, some decently written characters(Socrates), some really annoying characters(Alcibiades), some really obscure irl characters that they dug through history books to find
combat/loot is actually a step above witcher 3(which was TW3's weakpoint to be fair)
bounty system(or w/e it's called, can't really remember) is fun and was based on the mordor games nemesis system

it's definitely nothing like the earlier assassin's creed games though, would have been fine as a standalone historical game rather than being an AC game

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I want Numen over this .... because. I'm tired of steam and glad some shit spills to gog. Now if only BEBE would be gogified.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
like everyone's mums vagina i'm torn

Rusty is right about this, it's a very TW3 inspired game - a black sheep of AC games.

Its strengths are the Mythical / Ancient Greek world and sidequests. Just larping about as a Greek adventurer is game enough and it's fun! It's easy to forget that this is an AC game.

Main plot is forgettable. You fight Trump in the end.

Still worth 25 bucks, or so, if you can get it at that price.

Don't bother with any DLC, it's all garbage. Save yourself the money and/or time and skip DLC for this game. It wasn't even made by the same people who made the main game, so it might as well be another game entirely.

Stella Brando

Arcane
In what order should I play these games?

Origins came out first, but deals with Julius Caesar -- who (spoilers) died in 44 BC. On the other hand, the 'sequel' Odyssey is set during the Peloponnesian War, way back in the 400's.

Do I want to go with release order or historical order?

Codex Year of the Donut

Origins came out first, but deals with Julius Caesar -- who (spoilers) died in 44 BC. On the other hand, the 'sequel' Odyssey is set during the Peloponnesian War, way back in the 400's.

it doesn't matter, the meta 'plot' is retarded and should be ignored anyways

deama

Prophet
Play them depending on what atmosphere/setting you like the most. The modern day plot is trash.

Pretty much that, play them depending on which mood you're currently in. Probably right now would go for valhalla because of the weather, depending where you're from. During summer time going for odysee or origins.

Ivan

Arcane
gave this a spin for a few hours during the Ubi+ trial. combat is serviceable, but the game failed to make me engage with the environment. it started to feel like Far Cry 3+ very quickly, outpost after outpost. Thankfully there's less of the automated climbing as the playsapce is flatter. I lost interest once the game introduced sailing. Naval combat was boring, and having to sail>dismount>explore>re-embark>sail was annoying and tedious.

Giving Origins a shot next, hoping for NO/Less sailing and a smaller world map / more personal story.

soulburner

Cipher
Odyssey sucked me in for far longer than I expected, but I felt the worst part of it was it was too lighthearted. Parts of the story were serious and grim, but mostly it was funny. Sure, the funny stuff is well written and I laughed out loud often, but it somehow felt off and made me not care about the main plot or character's motivation as much. Origins' atmosphere is much darker and consistent, the main story is more engaging, but the gameplay itself felt more fun in Odyssey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom