Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So I think I am into some BC era action and I am between this and Origins,which one is best when it comes to gameplay/story/ ancient era tour guide/overall game?

They're both exactly the same game, Odyssey has slightly more RPG elements and it has ships.

If you think you're going to learn history from these games, you're a moron.

I can't be more diplomatic than that. These games are not historical, they're fantasy adventures.

Both games offer similar "historical" codex entries. Superficial and half-assed.

The plot is mediocre to garbage in both games.

Don't bother with the DLCs in either game, the DLCs are absolute garbage. Not even made by the same team that made the actual game.

In the end, it's really just a question of whether you want to larp in Ancient Egypt or Ancient Greece.

Who said anything about learning history,I don't expect them to be any more:eduactional: than any other game in the series

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
In Origins you can often find notes regarding landmarks in the game, which provides fun trivia about the real thing. Didn't find any in Odyssey though.

It just appears automatically in Odyssey. You get your 50 word "notes" and you can admire the wisdom and knowledge you've gained from this historical essay.

Who said anything about learning history,I don't expect them to be any more:eduactional: than any other game in the series

You mentioned "ancient era tour", I clearly made a mistake thinking you meant the historical ancient era.

Either way, anyone trying to tell you there's a difference between the games, is full of shit - and yes you'll find them to be exactly as educational as any other AC game.

At least in these you don't battle the pope.

Codex Year of the Donut
jyov5w4jo2061.jpg

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

Yeah, 2007 Ubi mohammedans were not described as the historically accurate heretical suicide cult that they are/were.

But at least they removed a crossbow? Only to add a gun to AC2 the next year, where you fight the pope in St. Peter's Basilica and ... oh pass the LSD and the crack cocaine historically accurate Ubi Asscreed game writer.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
In Origins you can often find notes regarding landmarks in the game, which provides fun trivia about the real thing. Didn't find any in Odyssey though.

It just appears automatically in Odyssey. You get your 50 word "notes" and you can admire the wisdom and knowledge you've gained from this historical essay.

You mentioned "ancient era tour", I clearly made a mistake thinking you meant the historical ancient era.

Either way, anyone trying to tell you there's a difference between the games, is full of shit - and yes you'll find them to be exactly as educational as any other AC game.

At least in these you don't battle the pope.

THey offer some nice sightseeing,climbing and jumping of historical building/monuments is fun.Is the shipping mini game in Odyssey like the one in Black Flag?

Origins had slightly better combat, imo, as it actually required skill and good timing to execute parries, while in Odyssey, you got red and white flashing cues on what to do, and the response window for defensive moves was insanely long.

Origins also felt slightly less mechanic and formulaic. Being Ubisoft games, they both had a ton of procedurally generated content, but Odyssey had even more. I also think the ancient Egypt setting was more exotic and beautiful.

All in all though, 2 not very good games.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
THey offer some nice sightseeing,climbing and jumping of historical building/monuments is fun.Is the shipping mini game in Odyssey like the one in Black Flag?

Odyssey ship mini-game is simpler/streamlined than Black Flag, but IMO the AC4 ship minigame wasn't very involved anyway so it's fairly similar.

There's no lack of sightseeing, climbing and jumping historical buildings/monuments in either game. The game worlds are huge, and beautiful and you'll get your money's worth and then some from the basic game (either one)

Just save your dollars when it comes to the DLCs. They add nothing in the game world, just fanfiction wankery.

Origins had slightly better combat, imo, as it actually required skill and good timing to execute parries, while in Odyssey, you got red and white flashing cues on what to do, and the response window for defensive moves was insanely long.

This is wrong, and bizarre. The games are exactly the same, you just played one of them with easy-mode enabled.

Learn to play noob.

There's always some idiots like yourself, who is so stupid you don't even realize what game mode you're playing, and whine about something that isn't even an issue. Autistic and stupid.

edit: tellingly this post attracts all the NPC spergs
rating_lulz.gif

Last edited:
It's all in vain though. Just for eye candy.

Look at KCD. They used their historical research to create interesting gameplay and lore angles. Ubisoft games, there is nothing good that comes out of their historical settings other than eye candy.

bloodlover

Arcane
So I think I am into some BC era action and I am between this and Origins,which one is best when it comes to gameplay/story/ ancient era tour guide/overall game?

Origins imo. The character and main story are much better imo. Bayek is the same league with Ezio and Edward and his story is more personal and better executed, not to mention that the origins story is more interesting.

Locations are also better in Origins, more exotic and eye-catching. You have places like Thebes, Alexandria or Memphis + tomb exploration.

Naval combat is fun for a while but it gets old really fast. Black Flag did it better with capturing forts or diving underwater.

And if all of that is not enough, you can ride a camel in Origins. :cool:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Origins imo. The character and main story are much better imo.

They're both hot garbage. They're Asscreed. What the hell are you talking abou....

Bayek is the same league with Ezio and Edward and his story is more personal and better executed, not to mention that the origins story is more interesting.

... oh you actually like this garbage and think it is good...
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif
rating_lulz.gif

Wow. I've never actually met a person like you IRL. It's only on some autisitc forums that you weirdos pop up. Tell us more about the Apples of Eden!
rating_lulz.gif

Locations are also better in Origins, more exotic and eye-catching.

Unless you're also Egyptian and trying to push your streetshitting country, what the actual fuck are you talking about?

You have places like Thebes, Alexandria or Memphis + tomb exploration.

You have places like Athens, Sparta, Knossos Palace and Atlantis in Odyssey. Oh and "+ tomb exploration".

Are you functionally retarded?

Naval combat is fun for a while but it gets old really fast. Black Flag did it better with capturing forts or diving underwater.

Naval combat gets old really fast in AC4 as well. In fact, AC4 is a pretty bad game overall and highly overrated. It's just the best of the old AC games, but that just makes it the best of the garbage.

And if all of that is not enough, you can ride a camel in Origins.

It's the same fucking game, you sperg.

vibehunter

Learned
I somehow have over 150 hours in this game.

It was my "braindead game you zone out to while listening to podcasts" a couple years back.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It's all in vain though. Just for eye candy.

Look at KCD. They used their historical research to create interesting gameplay and lore angles. Ubisoft games, there is nothing good that comes out of their historical settings other than eye candy.

... That's why I said I wish others had the budgets to back their work with as much research.

Falksi

Arcane
Origins is a bloody good game, probably my fave AAA title in recent years. The caveat to that is I went in fully expecting a popamole experience, and so that didn't bother me.

What it's critics fail to recognize is that as an overall package it really manages to capture a sense of wonderous adventure across a "magical" land.

Codex Year of the Donut
Really don't get how someone could like Origins more than Odyssey tbh, unless you have a personal reason for preferring an Egyptian setting to a Greek one.

I liked Origins slightly more than Odyssey. Odyssey has slightly refined gameplay compared to Origins, but I have a major hardon for desert settings and Bayek is far, far more likeable than either of the protagonists in Odyssey. His wife is a total shrew though, and I don't understand how the writers came away thinking anyone was going to not actively hate her character.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Really don't get how someone could like Origins more than Odyssey tbh, unless you have a personal reason for preferring an Egyptian setting to a Greek one.

Rusty you drunken bastard everyone knows Origins is vastly superior. Odyssey is nothing but an endless grind with a boring story and MC. Origins as an endless grind but with a much more engaging story and a relatable MC.

Also the Egyptian/Greek civilization built on top of the ruins of an even more ancient civilization was for more interesting than the Sparta/Athens dick measuring contest.

Still had to give Origins a bad Steam review though because Caesar did nothing wrong.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Bayek is far, far more likeable than either of the protagonists in Odyssey
Origins as an endless grind but with a much more engaging story and a relatable MC

It's quite concerning to see people talk about AC characters as relatable or likeable. Most are best described as barely functioning sociopaths and others are kindly described as milquetoast 2D ciphers.

In the end, there's no difference between the characters in Odyssey or Origins. It's. The. Same. Game.

It's like praising the coffee at your local Starbucks and not the airport Starbucks. It's the same coffee.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
You seem awfully touchy about the whole franchise Atlantico

Outside of Bioware, this franchise has cultivated the most annoying midwits and mentally disturbed individuals on the internet.

It's not the franchise that annoys me, sunshine.

edit: two fanbois rating xir ass hurt
rating_lulz.gif

Origins also felt slightly less mechanic and formulaic. Being Ubisoft games, they both had a ton of procedurally generated content, but Odyssey had even more. I also think the ancient Egypt setting was more exotic and beautiful.

All in all though, 2 not very good games.

So this is a typical NPC post, trying to appear "balanced", but is really just another meaningless regurgitation of the average hive-mind on reddit or some equivalent cesspool of dumb.

None of this means anything, it's just vapid claims without substance. Muh feels.

The most laughable claim, and proof positive this person is either a drooling retard or just making shit up, is the claim that either one of these games requires "skill and good timing to execute parries".

:nocountryforshitposters:

No, neither game requires any skill, just basic motor functionality - which may seem like 1337 mad sk1llz0r if you're a fucking retard.

But not to normally able people.

Then there are some drivel and/or obvious misunderstandings being regurgitated, like some lightshow nonsense which isn't even there. It's just not there, but hey why not just make shit up! It's your truth, you go girl!

This asswipe then concludes with more feelz and other faggotry. What they fuck does anyone care what you think is "more exotic"? Most things are more exotic than your mother's basment, you shaved ape.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Bayek is far, far more likeable than either of the protagonists in Odyssey
Origins as an endless grind but with a much more engaging story and a relatable MC

It's quite concerning to see people talk about AC characters as relatable or likeable. Most are best described as barely functioning sociopaths and others are kindly described as milquetoast 2D ciphers.

In the end, there's no difference between the characters in Odyssey or Origins. It's. The. Same. Game.

It's like praising the coffee at your local Starbucks and not the airport Starbucks. It's the same coffee.

Heh you really don't like these games?

To be fair Origins is the only one I've ever finished besides the first two 10+ years ago. There may be no difference in the characters but I can identify with a father trying to find the people who murdered his child more than a psychopathic murder hobo waving a magic spear around as he decimates the population of Ancient Greece. And those standing stone flashbacks in origins sort of tied me into it.

I could not tolerate the expansions because I no longer cared what happened after the main story and the gameplay is a grind. Its why I cannot get through Odyssey.

Krivol

Magister
Well, I actually liked Kassandra a bit

Still, I could not finish this game, after 80+ hours it started feeling tedious and boring. And I'm not going to play any asscreed for next 5-10 years.

The writing in Origins is merely mediocre. You are some dude in some plot tied in to some conspiracy and to the future in some way, who the fuck really knows or cares, but it kinda makes sense enough to drag the game along. In Odyssey, the writing goes from mediocre to really bad, and yes, there is a difference between the two.

In Origins, a typical side quest would be something like "Hey Bayek, i am so and so, remember how we used to sex crocodiles together, anyways, these fucks robbed my shop, can you please return my shit or my kiddoes will starve, cause it's the festival of Set or some shit?" Is this in any way interesting? No, not really, but it's good enough to give you some impetus to do the quest, and to immerse yourself in the world. In Oddysey, a typical side quest sounds like it was spat out of some shallow procedural generator "Hey man, can you kill 10 of those guys over there? Dialogue option: Yes, I will go and kill those 10 guys over there. Response: Great, now go and kill those 10 guys." This is so bad, it just makes you want to stop playing.

And everything else is like that too in Odyssey. Land in some province, there is a battle between Sparta and Athens, but all you do is join some fucking melee which plays out the same every single time, and "win" the province that way for one side or the other. Zero connection with anything else in the game. Or endless, pointless ship battles, which all play out the same way. Or the endless "forts" along the way, which all play out the same way. It's the ultimate MMOesque pointless grind that can go on for hundreds of hours but has zero meaning.

Origins has some of this stuff too, don't get me wrong, but a bit less, and some of it is more cleverly disguised, so while it also feels a bit like a pointless treadmill, not quite as badly as Odyssey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom