Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey, set in ancient Greece - it's definitely an RPG now

Beggar

Cipher
Downloaded from the torrents to check if my PC is still capable of running all this new computer melting stuff. Managed to play it on medium without any lag.
I've heard AAA a bit improved, so I wanted to dive in a bit...

I think it's impossible for the westerners to create any kind decent game, movie etc. at all. All their dialogues, characters and dramas are terrible cliche stuff to the point it's unbearable.
Since when Greeks acted like a teenagers from the 21st century? Edgy talking in every situation: yo, I'm so funny and cool at the same time :cool: Every character is taken straight away from every hollywood movie idiots watch.
With all this budget they could not even do the accents right, just throw in pseudo russian talking for everyone.

Anyone who appreciates and likes this crap should be banned. Just awful.

With Odyssey, Ubisoft really tried to go the Witcher 3 route, but they have no talent at all. It's like if some high school fanfic writer tried to write in Shakespearean style.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They just have to focus more on their stronger sides, like better world. Even more detailed locations and people would be a much better direction then RPG lite.

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
I thought wow, what an amazing game, especially for someone who adores greek mythos. Really liked movement aspect of AC(no stamina) where you can climb/dive/swim almost everywhere, it makes exploring so much more satisfying. Combat is meh, enemies are just stupid masses of hp bloat, there is no strategy or skill involved just spam evade or parry in most fights, dialogues can be corny but it didn't affect me that much i still thought this ride is gonna be a blast, until i realized EVERYONE is same level no matter where i go. If there is one thing i despise with all my heart that is level scaling. Uninstalled...

Doktor Best

Arcane
At least in Origin you could disable level scaling. Dont know if that option is available in Odyssey.

At least in Origin you could disable level scaling. Dont know if that option is available in Odyssey.
Only to a certain extent, but not completely. How would you fair origins compared to odyssey?

They are both bad games, but Origins is slightly better:

- the setting is more exotic and interesting, imho. Ancient Greece has been done in games/movies a lot more, but seeing the villages around the Nile, the boats sailing, the Pyramids, etc, it was a bit more interesting.
- the melee combat is better in Origins. It was more Dark Soul-ish, you could use the shield to block, and to study your opponents to know when to parry, which was challenging. Really dumbed down in Odyssey to watch flashes on screen (white flash - parry, red flash - dodge), the response window is insanely long, you can press parry a second ahead of the attack and still succeed. They also went full retard with no shield (THE FUCKING ANCIENT GREEK SYMBOL), and instead you are using some sort of a broken spearhead to do retard-type dancing shit.
- Origins already suffered from this, but Odyssey made it even worse - everything is systemized too much. There is no content that feels unique and special, you run into mercenary #420, then #421, go from fort #40 to fort #41, pointless territory battle between Athenians and Spartans #56, etc. Both games really suffer from this Ubisoft Syndrome, but Origins had a higher ratio of actual content to this, Odyssey is maybe 5% actual content, 95% repetitive system bullshit, on account of its much larger world.
- the gear upgrade system retardation

But anyways, in the end, if you want to play good games, don't play anything from Ubisoft.

Fishy

Savant
- the setting is more exotic and interesting, imho. Ancient Greece has been done in games/movies a lot more

I'm genuinely curious here. How has Ancient Greece been done in games a lot more? I struggle to find even 5 games. I can only think of Zeus/Poseidon (city builder, and an actual sequel to Pharaoh/Cleopatra), Age of Mythology (RTS, not really Greece centered and actually includes Egyptian stuff), and well, that's it. Maybe God of War? I don't Playstation so no idea, but I guess it's sort of Greece-themed? For all AC:O shortcomings, I thought the setting was a major refreshing point in its favour. What are all those games I missed?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Tried to play this a few months ago. The gameplay is pretty satisfying, but the tasks and overall pacing are just too goddamn repetitive, I couldn't get myself to continue.
The whole historical context is interesting on paper but the execution feels really lacklustre.
I'm starting to think that they should have just adapted these books from David Gemmell about Troy, and cut all ties with their "histoical virtual tour" roots.
You either go full mythological epic or full historical rendition. Both doesn't work. Or maybe it could, but it doesn't here.

Krivol

Magister
I thought wow, what an amazing game, especially for someone who adores greek mythos. Really liked movement aspect of AC(no stamina) where you can climb/dive/swim almost everywhere, it makes exploring so much more satisfying. Combat is meh, enemies are just stupid masses of hp bloat, there is no strategy or skill involved just spam evade or parry in most fights, dialogues can be corny but it didn't affect me that much i still thought this ride is gonna be a blast, until i realized EVERYONE is same level no matter where i go. If there is one thing i despise with all my heart that is level scaling. Uninstalled...

This is most exactly my opinion. Level scalling per se may be even passable, but it is not well executed - your items will become more and more useless, so you actually getting weaker and weaker with each level. I hoped that levels would end when I hit 50th and I will be able to risu up gear I like to lvl 50 and create a proper build. But this way...

And the rest of the game is between mediocore (sub-quests, repetetive tasks) to top noch (main quest, Sokrates etc). I just stopped playing after hitting lvl 50, I felt empty inside...

EDIT - I must say that I like it more than Witcher 3, mostly due to Greek setting (mythos, philosophers etc).

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
I thought wow, what an amazing game, especially for someone who adores greek mythos.
Wow they are spitting in the face of the ancient greeks and their mythos and people like you adore it. You have certainly played as the woman ( was it Cassandra?). Perhaps you also played and liked the insult to the greeks in form of God of War?
Spitting into someone's face is not adoring and honoring the person!

EDIT - I must say that I like it more than Witcher 3, mostly due to Greek setting (mythos, philosophers etc).
Read my answer above.

- the setting is more exotic and interesting, imho. Ancient Greece has been done in games/movies a lot more

I'm genuinely curious here. How has Ancient Greece been done in games a lot more? I struggle to find even 5 games. I can only think of Zeus/Poseidon (city builder, and an actual sequel to Pharaoh/Cleopatra), Age of Mythology (RTS, not really Greece centered and actually includes Egyptian stuff), and well, that's it. Maybe God of War? I don't Playstation so no idea, but I guess it's sort of Greece-themed? For all AC:O shortcomings, I thought the setting was a major refreshing point in its favour. What are all those games I missed?

Titan Quest, all the Hercules movies/series on TV, Troy movies, Jason and the Argonauts, etc, 300.

Fishy

Savant

Titan Quest, all the Hercules movies/series on TV, Troy movies, Jason and the Argonauts, etc, 300.

TV/Movies, sure, but as far as gaming goes? Should have remembered Titan Quest (which, incidentally, also goes in Egypt), but it's still a pretty poor field considering the source material and pretty fresh compared to badly-gamified-tolkienesque-universe-#57912.

Egypt doesn't have a massive representation either, but it does have Immortal Redneck, so there's that.

deama

Prophet

TV/Movies, sure, but as far as gaming goes? Should have remembered Titan Quest (which, incidentally, also goes in Egypt), but it's still a pretty poor field considering the source material and pretty fresh compared to badly-gamified-tolkienesque-universe-#57912.

Egypt doesn't have a massive representation either, but it does have Immortal Redneck, so there's that.
There's rise of the argarnuts, an adaptation of that mythos in game form.

Overlord 2 is set in a roman/greek type setting

Darkzone

Arcane

The same has been done for Egypt alone and with conjunction with Roman, Jewish and etc cultures and nations. But there are to my knowledge no cRPGs that are set in ancient Egypt. List of films set in ancient Egypt. From this list i will recommend the polish Pharaoh (1966) film.
The Hercules films (sword and sandals aka peplum genre) were a specialty of the Italian cinema that was replaced with the spaghetti western films. Peplum films are a reflection of italian nationalism, like the Westerns films are for the US Americans, because it is and was part of their pre-christian religion and ancient history. If the Arabs in Egypt would have done the same then they would necessary have to acknowledge, that they are just invaders that have murdered the previous true egyptian culture and population from whom only the copts remain. And because of this and the Islam we will only get films and media about ancient Egypt made by americans and europeans (here are the french the most noteworthy, but their cinema is also nearly dead).

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So I think I am into some BC era action and I am between this and Origins,which one is best when it comes to gameplay/story/ ancient era tour guide/overall game?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
So I think I am into some BC era action and I am between this and Origins,which one is best when it comes to gameplay/story/ ancient era tour guide/overall game?

They're both exactly the same game, Odyssey has slightly more RPG elements and it has ships.

If you think you're going to learn history from these games, you're a moron.

I can't be more diplomatic than that. These games are not historical, they're fantasy adventures.

Both games offer similar "historical" codex entries. Superficial and half-assed.

The plot is mediocre to garbage in both games.

Don't bother with the DLCs in either game, the DLCs are absolute garbage. Not even made by the same team that made the actual game.

In the end, it's really just a question of whether you want to larp in Ancient Egypt or Ancient Greece.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In Origins you can often find notes regarding landmarks in the game, which provides fun trivia about the real thing. Didn't find any in Odyssey though.

Mr7mQPg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom