Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asterigos - Classical Age ARPG from Taiwan

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Done the Trials and the fucking amazing Styx.
Thus far, game of the year for me. I've even been playing it over Judgment.
It's only gotten better and better. The start was very bare, only to be improved vastly later on. You don't see this often in games, everything is frontloaded to fuck these days.

I have a million tiny nitpicks, among them being invisible walls, the furry curse, balance in different areas, varying voiceacting quality, etc.
None of them really matter. It oozes love and attention to detail. They've done so much for their setting. You just love to be playing the thing.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well, I've finished it.
This is what the NG+ reward outfit looks like, definitely the best of them all.
image.png

Moving on to Judgment.

Lincolnberry

Educated
Seems you enjoyed it. Curious if you’ve played Kena and how it compared if so - seems to have some similarities to me.

Separately, assuming you played on PC, did it handle well throughout?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Seems you enjoyed it. Curious if you’ve played Kena and how it compared if so - seems to have some similarities to me.

No, it's nothing like that game. I don't know what similarities you see.

Separately, assuming you played on PC, did it handle well throughout?

It was smooth for me at max settings with no uncomfortable dips aside from when a ton of particle effects were flying around while fighting bosses. But it does look like it would take something in the 3080 GPU range to play comfortably past 1080p.
Loading times are fine.
A common visual problem you'll notice as you walk around is very aggressive usage of LOD for both character models and animations. I also mentioned the annoying smeary TAA before.

Lautreamont

Augur
Necroing the thread to offer some comments, having just finished the game in 35 hours. I would give this a 6/10, conceding that some parts are well made and the combat is decent. Nevertheless, I pushed myself to complete this thing and it felt like a chore. There is no doubt the developers love their material and spent much time writing expository dialogue. All of that would be fine if the writing was actually good. It's clear they had a team of millennials do the localization. I saw so many instances of contemporary colloquialisms and millennial speak ("That's not a good look", "Be better"). Apart from that, there's simply too much drab writing and bloated dialogue trees. There are hundreds and I mean hundreds of readables: letters, posters, journals, documents, scrolls, and their purpose is to lore dump. All of the writing needed editing and sharply drawn characters to make me care. Ten hours in and I was skipping dialogue fairly often and not bothering to read any documents. This game felt--and sometimes looked--like playing an NWN mod in which the author crams verbose dialogue and lore everywhere. Because each NPC or readable serves as a lore dispensary, the content blurs together and it doesn't matter who is saying what. You know, this kind of thing makes me pine for Thief 1/2 where the readables are engaging and provide ambience as well as subtle information.

The Greco-Roman setting with classical architecture had so much potential. In some areas it looks majestic and the level design is sprawling. Why then must the bestiary look straight out of Saturday morning cartoons? The decision to emulate Pixar animation is at odds with the actual adult content of the game. Why they went for this "Dark Souls for kids" style is baffling: you're playing a little girl in a cartoonish world with dark subject matter such as torture, rape, murder, ritual mutilations. It's like playing Bloodborne with the visual style of Fable. In some of the dialogue they attempted to explore serious themes, yet I'm unmoved when the character uttering this is a furry. We later find out she's been lycanthroped against her will; ok, could be interesting but she still looks like a bipedal fox you'd see on deviant art. In other words, the tone is completely wrong in this game.

Some discussion in this thread wonders if the game is a soulslike. Yes, it is absolutely indebted to Dark Souls and the action is somewhere on the spectrum between soulslike and soulslite. There is lock-on, dodging, i-frames, blocking with shield, bonfire checkpoints, estus flasks, "souls" currency for buying items and upgrades, archetypal souls bosses at the end of each biome, mimics, and a Dark Souls hub. Where it enters soulslite territory is with the minimal stamina management and option to use staff (infinite projectiles that don't use mana) which changes the combat. Is it a difficult game? It depends on what weapons you use. If you play with the staff and become a magic user, the game is rarely difficult. Staff is easy mode: attacks don't use SP, so you can run away and spam magic missiles nonstop. Using daggers, too, is OP when coupled with techniques that can be spammed without cooldown (techniques are kind of like Elden Ring's ashes of war). In general it is the easier of the soulslikes but that doesn't mean some areas aren't difficult. In the final area I was struggling with enemy HP bloat and damage spikes. You'll often breeze through the game and then come up against something that can kill you in two hits. As usual with any soulsborne, the most deaths I had were from falling. I'll say this: if you use a spear/sword/hammer and play on the "Adventure" difficulty setting, which equates to normal, or especially "Challenging" there are some areas and bosses that are as hard as any soulslike out there, except for Nioh.

Two things I liked about the combat: 1) There are five weapon types and combat involves specializing in two. Light attack uses one weapon and heavy attack uses the other, so you can chain two weapons together to create effective combos. Slash a few times with daggers and then finish your combo with the staff to execute a unique backstep animation and fire a spell. 2) There are four enchantments that you'll uncover (fire, water, astral, lightning) and you can toggle between them to do certain elemental damage with both of your weapons or change the type of projectiles your staff employs. This is where the combat shines and they did a good job here. Enemies have elemental resistances, and some obstacles or magical barriers can be defeated using the right element. Each of the elemental attacks when used as projectiles from the staff offer surprising depth and variety, as there are simple ranged magic missile attacks and charged breath attacks. Water is ridiculously OP: you can shoot multiple ice projectiles that do constant DOT and cheese everything.

Other gripes: Fast travel is unlocked way too late in the game, like 20 hours in. The journal is nice to look at but atrocious as a tool for managing quests. Incidentally, many of the side quests are as cryptic as anything in soulsborne and probably even more confusing. I had dozens of quest items and no idea what to do with them, even though I painstakingly talked to every NPC multiple times across the entire world map. Some side quests can be failed if you do something out of sequence. Except for the main story, there are no clear objectives, hints, or markers on where to go. Incline yes, but it's tedious to wander around talking to random NPCs and hoping I have the right item at the right time. Doesn't help either that the side quests are fetch quests in essence. There are no weapons or armor to find in the game. You just upgrade your base weapon types (sword+board/spear/hammer/staff/daggers) and that's all you use. So many design decisions in this game are bewildering while some are refreshing. If only the writing was improved I could recommend this. Otherwise it'll mainly interest completionists of soulslikes. It is better than Hellpoint, Chronos, and Lords of the Fallen; on par with Ashen; inferior to the Surge series, Mortal Shell, Remnant from the Ashes, Code Vein, and Nioh.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I am not impartial towards cartoonish looking worlds containing torture/rape/murder, it can be an interesting juxtaposition. In fact aforementioned Fable has plenty of that. IIRC at the end the main villain even slits protagonist's mother's throat right in front of him. Venetica is another example, but to a lesser extent. Come to think of it, Dragon Quest XI was kinda lacking in this regard.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It is better than Hellpoint, Chronos, and Lords of the Fallen; on par with Ashen; inferior to the Surge series, Mortal Shell, Remnant from the Ashes, Code Vein, and Nioh.
Replace Code Vein with Lords of the Fallen and maybe you have something right in that statement.

I was going to buy this with all the DLC but realized on the last minute that they don't sell one of the pre-order costumes. So I pirated it. Won't be playing it immediately though.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bought it a few days ago on the GOG sale and just finished it after ~57 hours - i tried to find all stuff, read as much as i could, etc though the game has a *ton* of side content that is hidden, so i couldn't find everything.

Asterigos is basically the poster child of "low budget AA jank": a small team (from an interview they had, the team was ~24 people) with barely a budget punching way above their weight and making a game that is clearly a product of love. It is also very janky.

From the pros, what i really liked was the worldbuilding (i like unique settings) that they seemed to have tried to put a lot of effort into. I also liked how exploration heavy the game is - people who just go through the main quest and bosses are basically missing most of the game (and some optional fights). The game doesn't hold your hand at all, you are throwing in the game world and you have to figure out 99% of it yourself, even down to the end (example: over the course of half of the game you get a bunch of items that add elemental damage - the game doesn't tell you which enemies are vulnerable to which damage, there is no "monster codex" or anything like that you'd find in other games, you have to try all of them yourself). I think the story is very interesting too, or at least unusual - and it did tie to the world itself, it wasn't some generic story they plonked into the world. I also liked how the story was pieced together from various notes, mails, posters, etc you found while exporing - sure, it isn't the most original approach but i still like it.

Also FWIW while i've seen it described as "Greco-Roman", it really is 90% Greek and 10% Roman :-P - they pretty much made everything sound Greek, though aside from some Greek names they used, the words do not mean anything (i did find very amusing however when they named two characters "Vangelis" and "Evangelos" because these two are the same name - and the characters using the same 3D model didn't help :-P).

From the cons, the writing and dialogs wasn't great (it is a great example of how worldbuilding/lore, story, writing and dialogs are different things that people often just jam under a generic "writing" category - the worldbuilding is great, the story is good, the writing is mediocre and the dialogs are often awful) and aside from the Hilda (main character) and Minerva (the NPC you'll interact the most with) VAs, pretty much all other VAs ranged from bad to awful (with Bion having the worst, the VA sounds like he's reading some thesis and puts stops at random places). Honestly i'd prefer it if they left the VA only for the main quest. Also while having the quests only show up in a journal (with the exception of the main quest showing what to do next on screen, pretty much nothing else is shown anywhere) is good, the journal text pretty much always lacks any information about the quest and is often some random thought Hilda had (example: you may get a quest to find Foobar and the quest given might even tell you where you may find Foobar, but the journal will record neither what you are looking for nor the hint you were given). You basically have to remember pretty much everything (and the quest givers do not repeat their requests if you ask them again!), the only thing the journal is good for is reminding you that the quest exists. A related con is that there is no map at all (the closest to a map is the background sketch of the city the teleport menu has when you unlock it) while the areas are often too large for their own good (they might look awesome, but navigating them isn't that awesome) and there are many maze-y places. Basically this is not the game you'll drop and try to continue at some other time unless you have perfect memory. If you don't and you drop it and then want to play again, you'll have to start from the beginning.

Overall i had fun with the game and i'd be looking forward to their next game.

EDIT: one thing i always find amusing is that when there is a new update to the journal, she actually takes out a book and scribbles on it :-P

rb5QCpj.png

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
45% off on Steam right now, or 41% off if you buy Asterigos & Thymesia bundle.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's a really fun game, but the DLC and recent update are pointless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom