Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asterigos - Classical Age ARPG from Taiwan

Jinn

Arcane
Found an early review of this.

The review is pretty poorly written, the reviewer is way too overly positive about the game, and he glosses over a lot of details. However, he does touch on some interesting points that I was particularly curious about, so while I don't totally trust his opinion, I feel the video was worth watching and I walked away from it feeling even more excited to play the game than I was after I finished the demo. The fact that exploration seems to be a rather large emphasis, with dense and good level design, has me feeling much better about the game as a whole.

Looks like a playthrough takes a solid 30+ hours too. Pretty much a :d1p:for me.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how come she doesn't have boobs?

IIRC from the demo she is supposed to be a teenager around her mid-teens.

It is also made by Koreans and, well, do a Google image search for "korean women".

EDIT: actually no they might be Taiwanese... well, doing a "taiwanese women" Google image search will give you similar results :-P

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It's a sub-par Souls clone with furries and other anime abnormalities.

I do enjoy exploring the world even if it's nothing special. I don't know. The level design has that smell of old design and comfort.

The game is mediocre at best but at least it did not go the edgy route like Nioh or Surge ... or Elden Ring. It's a cozy game.

6B029E2565C58CDD797385E7EA9BFF3CD5D1B82F

2C92DD83058B603E1B2FC0446739408185530F47

338DDAC91297DD4D692B35737DEC1563C066A429

FE756CF52C8A238710EAB9BD10B76EDD2B137470

8B0193CBDDB023DFA27EBF618E5DF961B867259B

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't play stuff based on hype, but Asterigos seems to be one of those exceptions that are worth it. I've been very eager to give it a try.
The game is great. Only just made it to the safehouse, but I already see a ton of potential as more and more unfolds.
There are some minor technical issues, like upscaling being utter dogshit, TAA being extremely blurry (needs sharpening), unbindable controls (the game has 4 schemes for gamepad and they mostly do the job fine- I use C) and audio mixing (AA games in general seem to suffer from this). Just a note for the whiners on the Steam reviews, none of those are worth a thumbs down for such a great effort.
It drops you straight into the game after a 10 second intro and does most of its worldbuilding as you progress, which some people might like- I'm not the biggest fan of this method of storytelling, I tend to enjoy some frontloading of information and lore. I suppose this might lead "some" to think this is like Dark Souls, but Asterigos seems to actually have a set lore meant to be unraveled in a very specific manner, it's not a trip down wiki lane/speculating about things that were never actually written.
Combat seems fine, nothing too complex, just typical third person combo and dodge. Not even close to Dark Souls. As usual, the Politics/Souls obsessed mongol above who called it a 'Souls-clone' has never touched Venetica or Severance.
Play it. Avoid the negative Nancies and agenda-driven.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Drinky thoughts...

I like the air of mystery that pervades. Like I initially said, it could only be reinforced by some frontloaded worldbuilding, but it is what it is.
Characters seem distinct and understandable. The Greco-Roman aesthetic is really well done. I'm a game designer myself and try to keep an eye out for unique stuff and it's not been a letdown from a visual standpoint.
Combat has been quite easy until the first boss (he was also easy, but I fucked up and died, wasting a few consumables).
I've gone with a dagger and hammer build. I checked out all the weapons and the staff especially has some really cool animations, so I might consider a switch later on, usually I like sticking with my choices though.
Jump needs an improvement and dedicated single button.

And... watch out for the mimic. What a fuckin bitch.
That's all for now.

Jinn

Arcane
Combat has been quite easy until the first boss (he was also easy, but I fucked up and died, wasting a few consumables).

Just curious, are you playing on Hard? I've found it decently challenging so far on "Challenge" (hard) mode, but not quite as difficult as I'd like it to be. I think if they kicked things up just a notch or two, and fine-tuned the enemy AI a bit more, it would bring it to a sweet spot. It does make me wonder if some of these reviewers that are talking about it being easy are playing it on the normal difficulty, though, because it's not that easy. I'm almost positive they are. Still been enjoying my time with a quite a bit. I think I'm nearing the boss fight in Black Streets, and I believe the city is supposed to open quite a bit more after that. I'm doing a Dagger/Bracelets build and it's been a fun combination. Bracelets are shaping up to be a pretty unique weapon for an action-RPG.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Just curious, are you playing on Hard? I've found it decently challenging so far on "Challenge" (hard) mode, but not quite as difficult as I'd like it to be. I think if they kicked things up just a notch or two, and fine-tuned the enemy AI a bit more, it would bring it to a sweet spot. It does make me wonder if some of these reviewers that are talking about it being easy are playing it on the normal difficulty, though, because it's not that easy. I'm almost positive they are. Still been enjoying my time with a quite a bit. I think I'm nearing the boss fight in Black Streets, and I believe the city is supposed to open quite a bit more after that. I'm doing a Dagger/Bracelets build and it's been a fun combination. Bracelets are shaping up to be a pretty unique weapon for an action-RPG.

I'm settled on normal now.
The Black Streets are quite easy, but the difficulty ramps up a bit with the next missions.
I tried hard on the next parts and, while doable when you're taking on just one enemy at a time, if you die and have to run your way back, there's high chances you will die on hard because the enemies stick to you for quite a distance and they have decently long aggro range.

Lincolnberry

Educated
Any chance I can run this with a 1060? I know it says that's within minimum but curious if anyone has tried with underpowered hardware and what their experience was. I'd like to support the devs but $30 is a little steep if it won't run.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Any chance I can run this with a 1060? I know it says that's within minimum but curious if anyone has tried with underpowered hardware and what their experience was. I'd like to support the devs but $30 is a little steep if it won't run.

I think you should be able to get decent performance with a 1060.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished it (24h). The last part of the game is garbage. It's a soul draining experience. They went for that extra-edgy shit (artificial difficulty) which ruins most action games.

They copied some good ideas from Dark Souls and it's was fine. In fact I did like the fact that area bosses were introduced and you could actually learn a lot about them by exploring their areas.

But the level design went to shit in the late areas, the lore and story is just retarded and late-game HP bloat is out of control. I will be honest and say that I could not beat the last boss therefore I've installed cheat engine and went for it. He is just not worth the effort.

I cannot recommend this piece of shit for more than 10 potatoes.

541B4084BDFE8D32CA64460DC39AEBBF9013D43C

8C448E345BAC620DDA61CD68E49191D74D04E4B4

27A38432C2817EF9EB278E23AEB32025EC22AA29

25316FFD9CB628A07E22CA3915E54CA7E366CB72

7C4172CEA2BA0DAB5A67043D59F992551FB1CE8C

66D073E88E2CDA1949F6F7B8B88DAEF0080A15E7

D7594F429019DE1126F93B1E08A0907F7F09A019

penultimate boss was cancer
6D5AD0820229B2F0CCFEF62EA9A741938C9CA0F3

AA8FB732AB1807C513F0255067F87A98EDDBF4EF

A2034C170EE4867D06EDFDDC6C5BDED28EE419C6

FE0F30A267D3D1647E4F7B0C9CC8254919FBE29B

12DA04C5C84BA8721F21FBC10E5B68D8B6AC544E

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Combat seems fine, nothing too complex, just typical third person combo and dodge. Not even close to Dark Souls. As usual, the Politics/Souls obsessed mongol above who called it a 'Souls-clone' has never touched Venetica or Severance.
Your thinking ability seems fine.

spekkio

Arcane
It looks like I dodged a bullet here, since I uninstalled after ~2 minutes of playing (too many things I didn't like). So my recent
"more than 2 irritating / retarded things that could've and should've been fixed at some point of development = uninstall" pays off.

:incline:

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Y'know, I have problems in life.
Thinking about censorship, forced vaccinations, financial shit gets me down. But I never thought being able to enjoy a game for what it is would be something to be proud of on a gaming forum.

Back to having fun in Asterigos. Let's remember a key point.
Not even close to Dark Souls.

Just look at this fucking subhuman.
They copied some good ideas from Dark Souls and it's was fine.

Let me make this very, VERY clear for those who read the forum without having played. This game is NOTHING like Dark Souls. His idea of 'copying Dark Souls' is having a bonfire to save.
This specific attention-seeking user, toro, has a certain brand of obsession that compels him to jump from thread to thread making this stupid claim. It's a mental illness that needs to be in the books.

toro Did you lift those screens off some random unsuspecting player on Steam?

spekkio

Arcane
Oh boy. Somebody didn't like a computer game you liked? And for WRONG REASONS as well? That's like literal end of the world.

Fuckin' 2020 newfags...

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Y'know, I have problems in life.
Thinking about censorship, forced vaccinations, financial shit gets me down. But I never thought being able to enjoy a game for what it is would be something to be proud of on a gaming forum.

Back to having fun in Asterigos. Let's remember a key point.
Not even close to Dark Souls.

Just look at this fucking subhuman.
They copied some good ideas from Dark Souls and it's was fine.

Let me make this very, VERY clear for those who read the forum without having played. This game is NOTHING like Dark Souls. His idea of 'copying Dark Souls' is having a bonfire to save.
This specific attention-seeking user, toro, has a certain brand of obsession that compels him to jump from thread to thread making this stupid claim. It's a mental illness that needs to be in the books.

toro Did you lift those screens off some random unsuspecting player on Steam?

https://vulgarknight.com/asterigos-curse-of-the-stars-review/
A Souls-like that's a little more on the bright side, Asterigos: Curse of the Stars is a third-person action RPG fusing Greek and Roman mythology.

There are basically hundreds of articles in which Asterigos is compared to Soulsgenre because it's just a stylized Dark Souls clone.

Also you should improve your lying skills cause this is the only thread in which I've talked about Asterigos + the screenshots are mine.

Fucking subhuman.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Finished the amphitheater and 2nd boss. Really enjoyed the atmosphere inside, it could really benefit from being much larger. Boss was ok, super easy to beat.
There are some audio hiccups that are getting increasingly annoying, such as an ambient track that loops badly and some sounds effects coming from the wrong side etc. Hopefully to be patched soon.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Decent update. The addition of a dedicated jump key, like I'd suggested a while ago, is a good improvement.
Exploring the academy and having fun.
Sadly, the ambient track that I've mentioned before still loops badly and is quickly becoming a pet peeve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom