Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're having an 'open beta' of sorts this weekend -- seems like anyone registering for a Runic forum/game account is getting a key. Might as well head over and give it a try.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How did that get past the beta?

I would suspect there is a correlation between picking the simple brute and being bad at the game. So the bad players tended to pick the barbarian, complain that is was too difficult if they had to do anything tricky to win, and he got buffed. The more skillful players picked the ranged classes, enjoyed the challenge of having to play tacically to do what the barbarian does by walking next to everything and mashing one skill, and reported that things were either too easy or just fine.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Really doesn't surprise me Blizzard screwed up balance. God knows they've never been able to balance WoW in over six or seven years.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Finished act 1 as a Barbarian. Now I know why everyone complains the game is too easy - because it is. It was a complete cakewalk and went by probably 2-3x as fast as it did my first time. Maybe I've just improved, but the Barbarian can literally cleave through mobs in seconds that took my other character a lot more time to deal with, so I doubt it's just a skill level thing.

I'm pretty sure the Wizard (and possibly Demon Hunter) are underpowered based on the messages I've read on the official forums. This isn't a big problem early on, and the challenge is actually more fair and fun, but late in the game's more an issue. Melee classes have more DPS, attack faster and more consistently, have a lot of health, and utility value the Wizard has isn't balanced out by the extra area-of-effect attacks.

On top of that, the Barbarian and other melee classes have skills that a) affect multiple enemies and b) do 120-150% DPS easily, with zero cost whatsoever, while Wizards are limited in total DPS output by Arcane Power. It's kind of shocking to me how the Barbarian is able to build up so much Fury and yet so few abilities actually cost any; in fact, most you'd expect to cost it actually generate it. How did that get past the beta?

So, they've dumbed down the system from WoW to everything being based off weapon dps, removed mana from the game, and they still can't balance PvE damage output, of all things?

Rofl. Can't wait for the ranked PvP. Gonna be fucking hilarious, I anticipate many a contribution to the BTE from Blizzard forums.

abija

Prophet
I'm pretty sure the Wizard (and possibly Demon Hunter) are underpowered based on the messages I've read on the official forums. This isn't a big problem early on, and the challenge is actually more fair and fun, but late in the game's more an issue. Melee classes have more DPS, attack faster and more consistently, have a lot of health, and utility value the Wizard has isn't balanced out by the extra area-of-effect attacks.

On top of that, the Barbarian and other melee classes have skills that a) affect multiple enemies and b) do 120-150% DPS easily, with zero cost whatsoever, while Wizards are limited in total DPS output by Arcane Power. It's kind of shocking to me how the Barbarian is able to build up so much Fury and yet so few abilities actually cost any; in fact, most you'd expect to cost it actually generate it. How did that get past the beta?

You're worse than the battle.net denizens, declaring what's imbalanced with minimal knowledge of the game.
Wonder why you didn't complain melee classes take always 30% less damage, that's some insane imbalance right there, screaming at you from game tooltips.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
How did it clearly use Solaris as a base?

A man haunted by memories of his ex-wife committing suicide, goes into space, where he ends up in a claustrophobic space station/ship, where he is tortured by the presence of her likeness, created by an insidious force that reaches into people's memories, finds their guilt, and watches them deteriorate after bringing their worst fears to life.

Finished act 1 as a Barbarian. Now I know why everyone complains the game is too easy - because it is. It was a complete cakewalk and went by probably 2-3x as fast as it did my first time. Maybe I've just improved, but the Barbarian can literally cleave through mobs in seconds that took my other character a lot more time to deal with, so I doubt it's just a skill level thing.

So, they've dumbed down the system from WoW to everything being based off weapon dps, removed mana from the game, and they still can't balance PvE damage output, of all things?

Rofl. Can't wait for the ranked PvP. Gonna be fucking hilarious, I anticipate many a contribution to the BTE from Blizzard forums.

Sea plays it and you do not. The rofl is on you in fact.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

A man haunted by memories of his ex-wife committing suicide, goes into space, where he ends up in a claustrophobic space station/ship, where he is tortured by the presence of her likeness, created by an insidious force that reaches into people's memories, finds their guilt, and watches them deteriorate by bringing their worst fears to life.

That's a summary I'd expect from TvTropes. The whole point of Solaris is that the Ocean is not an insidious force, it's completely alien and beyond human comprehension. There's not even conclusive evidence that it's alive or sentient in any meaningful way. Human interaction with the truly alien is the primary theme of the novel, and also a meta-commentary on popular sci-fi depictions of aliens and alien worlds. Meanwhile, EH has a rape demon from hell who wants to torture people for fun. Not even remotely close.

The real problem with "Diablo 3" is that it can not be pirated. All you pretty girls flirting about your hardcore credits are actually butthurt for you can NOT DEMO it. As for me it's ok, I always payed for every game, even shitty "Oblivion" or "Mass Effect 2" (last game that I'll buy from Bioware ever). Well fuck you: we're having fun.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The thing is that D3 can at least justify it's "always online" requirement by making the game easier to use and go seamlessly from solo to multiplayer and vice-versa and gives you the tools to easily find games with friends. In the case of DRM schemes like Ubisoft's, there's no advantage gained to be always online as far as I know.

Exactlly, the "Always online" part of the game is part of the design and not only a DRM tactic (even if it is also a DRM tactic). But well, I'm becoming bored of saying the same thing over and over again. So I'll now say: "Close your eyes and say goodnight, goodnight, sleep tight".

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Well this is weird. After typing that, I carried on from where I left off, and within about 20m it was as easy as the beta areas once again. I played from just before entering Magda's city up to opening those locks and entering the room in behind the aqueducts waterfall, and don't think that I fell below 50% hp in that time :?
All of the acts have a difficulty spike at the beginning. Act 2 isn't really any harder once you learn how to deal with the enemies and get some new gear. It does gradually get harder but a lot of that comes down to bloated HP (though the enemies in the last act are fairly tough for legitimate reasons).

The thing is that D3 can at least justify it's "always online" requirement by making the game easier to use and go seamlessly from solo to multiplayer and vice-versa and gives you the tools to easily find games with friends. In the case of DRM schemes like Ubisoft's, there's no advantage gained to be always online as far as I know.

Something that could no doubt be as easily implemented with the click of a button...

It cannot be justified. Plain and simple. Just more hassle for the paying customer, while the pirates enjoy their click-and-play experience. Not sure how many years it will take for these people to realise this...

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Well this is weird. After typing that, I carried on from where I left off, and within about 20m it was as easy as the beta areas once again. I played from just before entering Magda's city up to opening those locks and entering the room in behind the aqueducts waterfall, and don't think that I fell below 50% hp in that time :?
All of the acts have a difficulty spike at the beginning. Act 2 isn't really any harder once you learn how to deal with the enemies and get some new gear. It does gradually get harder but a lot of that comes down to bloated HP (though the enemies in the last act are fairly tough for legitimate reasons).

I just used the auction house, seems a bit game breaking as well, game isn't balanced for this kind of phat loot (atleast on normal).

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Something that could no doubt be as easily implemented with the click of a button...

How exactly? I'm talking of playing solo, then having someone jump in your game to join you, and if you leave he is free to continue as it is now his game and other people can join him if he allows them to. Unless you are online from the very start and the current game is hosted on a server other players can connect to, I do not really see how you could manage to make that happen seamlessly.

It cannot be justified. Plain and simple.

I think I did offer some justification, unless you can tell me how the advantages it brings can be replicated by not being online all the time. It's possible you do not care much for these, and I respect that, but it doesn't invalidate them for people who find them useful.

Just more hassle for the paying customer, while the pirates enjoy their click-and-play experience. Not sure how many years it will take for these people to realise this...

What pirates?

flushfire

Augur
I'm pretty sure the Wizard (and possibly Demon Hunter) are underpowered based on the messages I've read on the official forums. This isn't a big problem early on, and the challenge is actually more fair and fun, but late in the game's more an issue. Melee classes have more DPS, attack faster and more consistently, have a lot of health, and utility value the Wizard has isn't balanced out by the extra area-of-effect attacks.?
yeah, classes are currently wildly imbalanced, with the DH and WD getting the most complaints. Wizards are actually good later on, as they don't get one-shotted all the time in inferno. Unlike the WD of which the popular build to solo hell/early inferno consists of spamming respawn and dire bats. Years in development and blizzard can't even get the "pet class" playstyle viable after normal. Monks are AFAIK the easiest to solo with, even their summon is by far better than any of the WD's.

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
The main problem with Blizzard as i see it is, you pay $60 and have to worry about always online. You can pay $20 for Torchlight and not worry about always online, get path of Exile (soon?) which is always online but F2P, plus you've got stuff liike Grim Dawn in the pipeline.

D3 has got high production values but is a bit of a dissapointment atmosphere, art design wise, and overall decline if still decent (6.5-7 out of 10, like Deus Ex:HR :troll:)

When it comes time to open wallets again in a few years, some people just won't be as interested, that said i'm sure Blizzard will still be around and have plenty of fans.

How exactly? I'm talking of playing solo, then having someone jump in your game to join you, and if you leave he is free to continue as it is now his game and other people can join him if he allows them to. Unless you are online from the very start and the current game is hosted on a server other players can connect to, I do not really see how you could manage to make that happen seamlessly.

It cannot be justified. Plain and simple.

I think I did offer some justification, unless you can tell me how the advantages it brings can be replicated by not being online all the time. It's possible you do not care much for these, and I respect that, but it doesn't invalidate them for people who find them useful.

Just more hassle for the paying customer, while the pirates enjoy their click-and-play experience. Not sure how many years it will take for these people to realise this...

What pirates?

No, there is nothing it adds. All you have described is the fact that the server host can change hands when the original host leaves, which is something that dozens of games implement and would be trivial to implement in D2.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

A man haunted by memories of his ex-wife committing suicide, goes into space, where he ends up in a claustrophobic space station/ship, where he is tortured by the presence of her likeness, created by an insidious force that reaches into people's memories, finds their guilt, and watches them deteriorate by bringing their worst fears to life.

That's a summary I'd expect from TvTropes. The whole point of Solaris is that the Ocean is not an insidious force, it's completely alien and beyond human comprehension. There's not even conclusive evidence that it's alive or sentient in any meaningful way. Human interaction with the truly alien is the primary theme of the novel, and also a meta-commentary on popular sci-fi depictions of aliens and alien worlds. Meanwhile, EH has a rape demon from hell who wants to torture people for fun. Not even remotely close.

Note that my description is pretty darn specific and those specifics fit both films. And the ocean WAS the definition of insidious, and it was certainly a force to reckon with. It was not a friendly entity, if the fruits are anything to judge the tree by. More often than not, it was described on frightening terms in the novel, such as the part where a pilot flies over the ocean forming an eerily unnatural baby of giant proportions underneath, going through crazy motions.

I understand the profound differences between Event Horizon and the novel "Solaris", and never claimed that Event Horizon was a faithful interpretation of it. Don't go all strawmanny on me now.

However, to deny that Event Horizon used Solaris as base, is just stupid.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I just used the auction house, seems a bit game breaking as well, game isn't balanced for this kind of phat loot (atleast on normal).

Quiet brah, that's how I plan on winning. Buy the game and then spend $200 on gear on the AH!

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Buy the game and then spend $200 on gear on the AH!

blizzard really dropped the ball in not allowing entire characters to be auctionable

this way serious gamers can outsource their time intensive gameplay requirements as a tailored package deal to the lowest bidder and fully focus on the creative aspects of diablo 3

like the augmentations of deus ex human revolution, this is merely unlocking the hidden potential already inside your account

evolve and don't let mechanics control you

the year is 2012

a time of unprecedented gaming innovation

and also a time of great entitlement and chaos

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom