Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatar Gallery Submission Thread

Do you care about custom avatars?

• Yes, and I want something done about it.

Votes: 314 54.1%
  • No, just leave it the way it is.

Votes: 266 45.9%

• Total voters

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkUnderlord, I seem to be missing my Dead State tag even though it shows up in My Account. Not a complaint but would like to show a little love to DS as they are the "redheaded stepchild" of all our fundraisers. :D

Lancehead

Liturgist

What I see:

iQsHC50th1GIv.png

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Try using a normal browser.
(Kidding, they'll have to make it so that it appears correctly on the most popular browsers. If you're using a fringe one you might be out of luck though.)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, it should definitely be fixed ASAP for Firefox. All holy wars aside, it's popular enough to be supported. Not sure if it's a Codex-side problem or a Xenforo one.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Firefox is the only browser I know where the text doesn't look horrible on the codex, otherwise I'd use something else.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My bad DarkUnderlord. I've pledged to too many different drives here and on KS. I actually forgot to pledge towards the Dead State drive here at the Codex. At least I pledged for my boxed copy of DS on Kickstarter. I mean, they will actually finish the game... right...? :D

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
OK. The work that groke did with the Wizardry 6 portraits inspired me to check the portraits of the best Korea Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant, and they are awful: saved as jpgs and with a fuckton of artifacts.

So I ripped the portraits from my current W7 game play, but as they are very small, now I have a dilemma: should we use the small version? Or a bigger but cropped one? So here are the three possible options to use. Please check them so we can select the one that is "less worse".

• vzcBkGU.png
    Big version: 94 x 94 pixels, but as I had to double the size of the original it becomes bigger and thus I had to crop it.
  • 8nOQtH3.png
    Small framed: This one is on a transparent 94 x 94 image, original size, but using the frame that came in the Character Generation screen of Wizardry 7.
  • fx7rOsW.png
    Small original. This one is the original one, but inside a 94 x 94 pixels transparent PNG.
I have all the images ready, it's just a matter of selecting one. Crooked Bee?

In before: no one of those are good.

Edit: As a comparison, here's the original:
7om5VF6.png
which looks kinda smudged.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice! The small framed ones look great. One thing to consider is that if you're taking screenshots in dosbox, the aspect ratio of the image won't be corrected which give everyone a vaguely mongoloid appearance. You need to increase the height by 120% to get the ratio the same as it would be on a 4:3 screen.

Ideally, you'd increase the original by 500% width and 600% height so everything ends up pixel-perfect, but that results in a way bigger image than 94x94. I went for a 300% by 360% increase for the Bane portraits, you can see a single line of pixels below the chin of my avatar is thinner than the other horizontal lines to accomodate it.

As for the frames, maybe you could try copying the top border over the bottom? Something like this:

8nOQtH3.png
20r9zxt.png

(I scaled it as well for the sake of comparison, this puts a line of stretched pixels just below the nose which is... somewhat annoying.)

(By the way, I think we might be wrong about the 94x94 dimensions, it seems like the avatars in the gallery are actually resized to 96x96, the Bane avatars and Chaos Engine avatars have a very faint blur.)

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
(By the way, I think we might be wrong about the 94x94 dimensions, it seems like the avatars in the gallery are actually resized to 96x96, the Bane avatars and Chaos Engine avatars have a very faint blur.)
Yes - officially they're 96x96. However, avatars in the gallery shouldn't be getting "re-sized" by XenForo. That should only be something that occurs if you upload the avatar manually.

What's happening is the hokey bullshit css they've used to display the avatars is fucking shit up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom